Jan 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Pro beginner
Thread OP
Are you planning cover the top with polycarb or acrylic?

I had to build in two extra fans to ensure good circulation, and because I didn't like cutting holes in the case, which others have done.

I prefer to have the whole thing retain it's waterproof properties
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc
I'm assuming you already know how to test for (lack of) continuity between DC common and the case, and DC common with the Earth pin on the input AC socket.

Also, test for continuity between the case and the AC Socket Earth pin - very important!!

If not, you really shouldn't be building these.

If you still have continuity, then the hunt is on. It could be anything - some have reported overzealous soldering that touches the case, etc, etc.
IF this thread is about really helping people convert the 600 then it is not complete without showing people how and where to test for continuity.
Jan 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
Pro beginner
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra
IF this thread is about really helping people convert the 600 then it is not complete without showing people how and where to test for continuity.
This thread is specifically for those who do know what they're doing, but just not enough about the DPS-600PB specifically, to convert it to their satisfaction.

I'm not an advocate for someone who doesn't know what they're doing to be messing around the internals of any power supply.

Post #3 already points to TjinGuy's site, which has all the information you need for where the GND and 12VDC output posts are. If, from there, you don't know where to test for continuity, all bets are off, and you're on your own.

Sorry to be harsh, but converting PSU's is an activity far more dangerous than crossing a busy highway. So you don't need to compound the danger by doing it blindfolded.
Jan 26, 2012, 09:58 PM
Ok. It's your thread, but seems like if you know enough about testing for continuity on the 600 then you know enough how to take out a few screws and or use the search function. It's been on RCG in several places.

this is one example.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=261

If you don't know how to test for continuity then you're a newcomer and need help doing the whole thing.

Anyways, continue on. Nice thread.
Jan 27, 2012, 01:00 AM
Pro beginner
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra
Ok. It's your thread, but seems like if you know enough about testing for continuity on the 600 then you know enough how to take out a few screws and or use the search function. It's been on RCG in several places.

this is one example.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=261

If you don't know how to test for continuity then you're a newcomer and need help doing the whole thing.

Anyways, continue on. Nice thread.
Apologies Mark, meant no offence. It's just scary to see kids poking around in an ATX PSU with a screw driver while looking at instructions from the internet on their iPad, oblivious to the real danger... that the power cord is plugged in and switched ON

I haven't actually seen that post, but I gathered as much from the photo which I saw, edited, and attached in Post #8 here in this thread.
Jan 27, 2012, 01:20 AM
Pro beginner
Thread OP

Running 5V, 12V, 17V, 24V

It seems I'm having problems sending images through PM, so I'm posting it here.

Question: With 2x DPS-600PB, can I run 5V and 17V? If yes, a little diagram to help please.

Answer: Yes you can, but with limitations. I'm assuming you know how to series connect up the DPS-600PB, by isolating the DC terminals of the second PSU (you could do the first, but keep in mind that this would drive the first PSU's common terminal to -12V).

The 5V rail has a limit printed on the label, which I think is 7A. So running 5V from the 1st PSU's 5V rail, and 17V from the 2nd PSU's 5V rail is possible, but max current is still only 7A, and max power 35W and 119W. Also keep in mind that if your charger is about 90% efficient, so if it reads 119W, it's likely drawing 10% more power from the PSU.

Pulled a quick diagram together, so here is how you would wire it up.

Note:
  • Both cases are DC-grounded
  • the DC-common for the top PSU has been isolated to enable series connection
  • I've assumed the GND rail is 47A rated. This means the total pull from non-zero posts combined should be no more than 47A (well, it seems fine at 50A but do this at your own risk)

Question: Can I run a servo tester off 5V rail?

Answer: Not sure. Well.. there are switching BECs in use these days. However, something tells me that the frequency / duty cycle of the PSU is different to an SBEC. What the effects are, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure it matters (are servo's that sensitive to noise). If it was me, I'd try it on a cheap servo first.

Question: Can I run my 10-18V rated charger off the 5V rail of PSU #2 (17V)?

Answer: Check actual output voltage of the 5V rail first. Depending on what you do, the 12V rail can be anywhere from 12 to 13.8V. The 5V rail may also vary - this is pushing 19V or slightly more, which your charger may not like very much.
Last edited by rchelijc; Jan 27, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
Jan 27, 2012, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Apologies Mark, meant no offence. It's just scary to see kids poking around in an ATX PSU with a screw driver while looking at instructions from the internet on their iPad, oblivious to the real danger... that the power cord is plugged in and switched ON

That's a great metal picture. I mean can you just see it? Anyways, I often forget myself that there are kids and literally hundreds if not thousands of teenagers on this forum; many just as you describe. You're right. Maybe leaving out some details might be better. Safety is paramount.

Great information though. Keep it up. I'm subscribed!
Jan 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
They Call him Dead!
Can anyone tell if the Dell DPS-500cb supply works in the same way as this one (DPS-600PB) ? I have three of them and am hoping to connect all three in order to get 24 volts with additional watts via the third unit. If not, can anyone point me to a thread that can help?

Thanks in Advance!
Jan 27, 2012, 12:18 PM
Pro beginner
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead
Can anyone tell if the Dell DPS-500cb supply works in the same way as this one (DPS-600PB) ? I have three of them and am hoping to connect all three in order to get 24 volts with additional watts via the third unit. If not, can anyone point me to a thread that can help?

Thanks in Advance!
Check this post. I didn't read what else was on the thread, but it looks like it was focused on the 500cb for a while
Jan 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
They Call him Dead!
Thanks, but I don't see anything about paralleling two and running the third in series... I think that is what I am trying to do...?
Jan 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
Pro beginner
Thread OP
Wrong thread buddy, post your question there? This is purely for the DPS-600PB.
Jan 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
Steven
Hey rchelijc,

do you know the UVP threshold for the DPS-600pb.

If it's around 10v, you could run 3 of them in series to get the 30v-32v that the higher output lipo chargers require to run at peak performance.
Jan 29, 2012, 02:38 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios
do you know the UVP threshold for the DPS-600pb.If it's around 10v,
Sounds intersting. How do you lower the voltage on the DPS-600pb?
Jan 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
Pro beginner
Thread OP
I'm interested to know too, both the UVP and how to drop voltages below 12V, without manually building a stepdown which will require HUge components.

For my purposes I only have the 208B and PL8, an full power on the PL8 can be reached with just under 27V, the 208B much less.

Which chargers need 31-32V to reach max rating?
Jan 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
how to drop voltages below 12V, without manually building a stepdown which will require HUge components.
One or two (in series) stud diodes would do the trick if you only need it lowerd 1v or so. http://www.surplussales.com/Semicond.../Diodes-3.html

In my case its more about keeping the power supply's loaded voltage away from the range that causes the charger's DC-DC converter to toggle between buck and boost. In my tests increasing the DSP-600PB voltage did not do the trick.

Quick Reply