May 26, 2017, 09:29 AM
Speed = spectacular potential
Quote:
Originally Posted by matn1
For those of you who dont like to jump the pins on the outside, I am attaching pictures of what I did in order to just do all of this directly on the ribbon cable and eliminate anything except the +12v and GND rails on the hotplug board.
There are many ways to approach this wiring task. I choose to wire to the ribbon cable directly, but by using male servo crimp connectors. I chose to have the power supply power up on being plugged in, but I want to be able to adjust the fan speed. With these requirements, the ribbon cable pin out is:

short: 1,2,4,5 to ground
pin 3 to a switch to ground

wiring this way is very easy.
  • Just take a single piece of servo wire with a male pin on it, cover in shrink tube, insert it into pin 3, and then shrink to protect the exposed pin.
    From there, insert male servo pins in 1,2,4,5
    Add a piece of servo wire to the ground wire ring
    Solder to short 1,2,4,5,ground
    Use hot glue to support the male servo pin bundle
    Wrap in Kapton tape

That is it!
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2017, 10:11 PM
aka crossup
Because my home PC is a DL-380 G5 I have a couple extra power supplies. I have them because apparently servers aren't meant to be turned off but still plugged in. I say that because in that state the power supply gets pretty hot and I believe eventuallly fail from lack of cooling certain components. So my question is does the methods used to turn on stand alone power supplies result in the same situation of heating up just from being plugged into AC power? I'd like to use my DPS-800s without unplugging between sessions
May 26, 2017, 11:17 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Get a plug strip like the rest of us.
May 27, 2017, 09:23 AM
aka crossup
I was hoping you would answer. I do in fact cut off AC power via large UPS now- but having dual power supplies does complicate things if you wish to maximize UPS run time- in short there are no good answers for a machine often running for 16hrs a day in an area which looses power with many thunderstorms. I'm always amazed how I lived 5 miles away for 15 years and literally never lost power even during the worst hurricanes and now loose power a dozen times a year- but other than the computer its just not worth spending hundreds for a standby genset for the few hours of outage each time

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
Get a plug strip like the rest of us.
May 27, 2017, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
I do in fact cut off AC power via large UPS now- but having dual power supplies does complicate things if you wish to maximize UPS run time
I solved this issue with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-6-Ou...dp/B005HTQAK8/

Allows me to individually switch any of the 6 devices that I have attached.

Mark
May 27, 2017, 09:47 PM
aka crossup
Thanks Mark, I have something similar, part of my "problem" is that its all under a computer desk/hutch and what I'm doing is running a computer with dual powersupplies off one UPS and want it to be using only one PS when the power goes off due to AC main power failure without having to switch multiple device on/off. IF it were possible to have the power supply be totally off with the AC line on it would be no issue. But instead I have to also kill the UPS power plus the second PS line, not the end of the world just an inelegant situation. No doubt its designed the way it is to give ILO and wake on LAN functionality, neither of any use to me.
Jun 16, 2017, 09:50 PM
I just purchase 4 of these power supplies and broke the dc ground on 2 so I can run in series and put both 24v setups in a pelican box, but I'm wondering if I'm able to run 2 off one power cord and also is running all 4 from a standard house outlet is even going to work. Also on my max amps I had the ground prong was removed from one cord so if I wore 2 together i don't ground one of them?
Last edited by Jason Adamo; Jun 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM.
Jun 17, 2017, 08:49 PM
Use the 4S Luke
First, those are capable of 12V X 47A = 564W. That is 564W / 120V = 4.7A
About 5A each from your outlet when fully loaded. So four running flat out is about 20A on your 120V circuit. It will trip your breaker even if it is 20A. Most are 15A.
Second - All power supplies should have the case grounded. Throw away any cord with a cut off ground pin. My blog is long but it details the correct way to float the ground.
Third - If you want to run a charger that requires 48V input, look elsewhere. My experience is that if you connect these in series for 48V, They will fail very quickly. I have done it.
My recommendation is to stick with chargers that require 24V.
Jun 18, 2017, 03:44 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
The good news is that there are sever PSU's that are already at 48 volts. Not as common as the 12 volt units but keep looking.
Jun 18, 2017, 11:50 AM
I floated the dc ground on 2 already as I planned on running them at 24v with 2 Hyperion 720i duo's. I found some 50v power supplies like the HP esp120 but that would require 220v.
Last edited by Jason Adamo; Jun 19, 2017 at 11:09 AM.
Jun 18, 2017, 01:42 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
The plain fact is that one 20 amp circuit will not be enough to use the full capacity of your charger anyway. You can do it any way you like, run two 120 volt circuits or one 240 volt circuit. If you already have a 120 volt circuit with just the one outlet, it is a simple matter of buying a two pole breaker and a 240 volt outlet device. The wire between is the same regardless of which voltage you run.
Jun 18, 2017, 06:22 PM
Is there any advantage of running the dps-600pb on 220v vs 110?
Jun 19, 2017, 12:34 AM
ancora imparo
Unlike larger supplies the DPS-600 is rated for the same output no matter what the AC supply. It won't affect the supply to your charger.
The only difference will be that the input current from the AC mains will be roughly half what it is on 110V. The current load on the AC supply is less.
Aug 06, 2017, 03:25 PM
How do you connect 4 power supplies in series for 48v? I have 2 pairs in series that run fine but when I connect all 4 together 2 of them shut down.
Aug 06, 2017, 03:27 PM
I had to break the red wire to get the top 2 to power on again. Also I have floated the ground on 3 of them.

Quick Reply