Great Planes Piper Cub .40 size KIT!!! NOW FINISHED and FLOWN! Come on in! - Page 4 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
Hi Bill. Not sure on weight just yet as I'm still adding little things here and there. The sheeting is only 1/16" thick. The whole wing feels light though. The leading edge sheeting on the tips is super delicate though. I keep forgetting and I am constantly cracked the sheeting on the tips because I keep moving it on the table and grabbing it by the ends. Why they didn't just go with a solid piece of wood in just those areas is beyond me. I'm really thinking about cutting them out and replacing them with solid balsa.
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Feb 11, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2012, 09:53 PM
Registered User
Bill Smudge's Avatar
I hear ya about the breaking balsa thing!! I'm building a Dumas Standard J-1 right now and I've busted 6 of the fuse stringers in the last week, easy to fix, but makes you feel selly every time you break one...

Bill
Feb 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar






Feb 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge
I hear ya about the breaking balsa thing!! I'm building a Dumas Standard J-1 right now and I've busted 6 of the fuse stringers in the last week, easy to fix, but makes you feel selly every time you break one...

Bill
Are you logging your build here on RCG?
Feb 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Registered User
Looking good! just got back from a day at the field with my Cub, spent most of the day practicing touch and goes in a strong crosswind, very challenging but lots of fun
Feb 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
Registered User
Bill Smudge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
Are you logging your build here on RCG?



Yep Sky it's here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1586067
Feb 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert the bear
Looking good! just got back from a day at the field with my Cub, spent most of the day practicing touch and goes in a strong crosswind, very challenging but lots of fun
You must be good, or brave. Taking off and landing are my favorites, but not in crosswinds. That gets my blood pressure up way to much, especially on a high wing plane.
Feb 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
You must be good, or brave. Taking off and landing are my favorites, but not in crosswinds. That gets my blood pressure up way to much, especially on a high wing plane.
Or just plain stupid! It's a great way to practice rudder control, although i was frequently running out of rudder
Feb 12, 2012, 08:10 AM
Registered User
Hiya SkylineFlyer- about the aileron servo mounts... yep... I'm easily confused! For the wingtips put sheeting on bottom surface. It's a lot easier to patch covering when it gets 'cut' dragging a wingtip on asphalt runways (Sawyer's) plus it'll strengthen it. Your wing looks good, BTW!
Feb 12, 2012, 04:28 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
TomM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
You must be good, or brave. Taking off and landing are my favorites, but not in crosswinds. That gets my blood pressure up way to much, especially on a high wing plane.
Yup!!
Feb 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
Oh no! Is that my kit? Did that happen recent? Cartwheel?
Feb 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
Hiya SkylineFlyer- about the aileron servo mounts... yep... I'm easily confused! For the wingtips put sheeting on bottom surface. It's a lot easier to patch covering when it gets 'cut' dragging a wingtip on asphalt runways (Sawyer's) plus it'll strengthen it. Your wing looks good, BTW!
Thanks. I looked at this as you've suggested it before. I'm just not sure on how to do it.
Feb 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
TomM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
Oh no! Is that my kit? Did that happen recent? Cartwheel?
That's the same kit you have. That happened quite a while ago, It was SO windy I should have never flown. Check my blog for the rebuild pictures.

Your build is looking good. Great craftsmanship.
Feb 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
I saw your blog. Nice job on the rebuild. Where did you keep your battery pack. It sounds like the exact same setup I'll be running.
Feb 12, 2012, 06:39 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
TomM's Avatar
Battery pack was right where the fuel tank would go, about 3" behind the firewall. You'll have to cut out bottom crossmember from a former, but there is no compromise in strength.. Attach with Velcro on the floor, you can get it in through the missing window and plug it in if you make a 6" ESC extension cable.
Even though i crashed on the (electric) maiden, the Power46 and 4S 4900 proved to be a great combo. WOT takeoff was about 4 plane lengths. The rebuild is pretty much done, but the power system from it is now in a P51. When that crashes I'll put it back in the Cub lol.

Since you're starting from scratch, you can possibly put in better battery access from the bottom with a hatch. Mine was a glow conversion and I didn't want to do much extra cutting at the time. Here's the same model back when it was 45 glow powered.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Great Planes Piper Cub .60 size (electric) & More bmontini Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 26, 2011 11:44 PM
Sold 40 Size Great Planes J-3 Cub Ultracoat Covered KIT flyinwalenda Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 16, 2011 12:11 PM
Sold Great Planes Piper J-3 Cub .60 Size KIT Keven_C Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jan 25, 2008 04:27 PM
Discussion Great Planes 40 size Piper Cub Kit Cub4P02 twier Beginner Training Area (Fuel) 1 Dec 18, 2006 07:04 AM