This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 23, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

narrow gap wings for slower flying with ultra micros

when flying was invented, people flew just for the fun of it, but then when they learned that could go faster through the air, the race began. the idea was to go faster and faster, therefore the less drag, the better. but for trainers and for 3d flying that go nowhere, the slower the better. 3d just stay there like helicopters, and even they add air brakes to slow them down, but those air brakes spoil lift and stability. i recalled that bipes generate more drag due to the air compressing between wings, but still lift is not spoiled so much as with air brakes. and the closer they are, the more drag. so my idea is to have 2 (or more) wings close enough to have more drag to slow down the flight. i call this, 'narrow gap wings'
but, how much more drag am getting? how this affect stability and maneurability? how this changes when varying the space between wings? for instance, on chord %: 5, 10, 20%? and should the extra wing be considered as double the lift and/or drag, and therefore the tail area be doubled to compensate?
am starting this thread with the purpose of bringing light to the subject by collecting data, be from my own experiments, or from other adventurous fellows that may have done (or are willing to do) something related. also, i don't take any claims for 'inventing' nothing. just the idea came to my mind and am trying to see how practical the concept may be, even if restricted only to 3d or trainers for indoor or outdoor flying on calm weather. if some1 happens to know of any experiments with this, please tell us. all the input and comments polite and positively are welcome.

due to the size and structure of these planes (um) that am testing initially, the airfoils used are the so-called thin curved plates, that is, virtually no-thickness plates (am using 1mm foam). and am using 6400 bricks for these tests.
in future (larger) planes i will test standard 2 dimensions airfoils (like clark y for instance).
i will start separate posts for each 1:
1.-trainers
2.-3d
see more data-including field tests and conclusions-here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1579774
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 18, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply