Thread Tools
Jan 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Discussion

FASST compatible Receivers - What's your experience


I have found varied posts and threads with bits and pieces about specific brands or models but no central discussion that talks about them all, so let's start one.

We are talking about receivers that claim to be compatible with Futaba FASST radio system. Examples would be ORANGE and FRSKY.

I am not talking about counterfits. I am talking about companies that seem to have created compatibles.

Here are my questions, they may also be your questions.


Which make and models do you have?

How long have you been using them?

Which radio do you use with these receivers?

What sort of aircraft are you flying?


Experience - good or bad, including glitches, crashes, customer service. If you love'em, say so. If you hate 'em, say so and why.

In the 72 MHz FM world we were used to having FM/PPM receivers from a wide variety of suppliers that would work with a wide variety of radios. As we went to 2.4 we had clear brand lock-in. These receivers may offer that flexibility to have receivers from multiple sources again.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
Oxford Panic
AndyOne's Avatar
The FRSky range of FASST compatible receivers have a good reputation. AFAIK the Orange FASST receiver is a re-badged FRSky TRR8.
I have TFR8S TFR7 and TFR4 receivers so far all have worked perfectly.

I just looked at the FRSKy web site and there's now 7 FASST receivers in the range.

Some of these receivers require the TX fail safe to be disabled as it interferes with the onboard RX failsafe.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/Products.asp?BigClassID=18

A.
Jan 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
If you cannot afford expensive Futaba receiver and must use Chinese clone,
you should have bought Chinese radio, such as Turnigy 9X, in the first place.
Jan 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
Oxford Panic
AndyOne's Avatar
Dead horse time again!!!
Jan 23, 2012, 12:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
The FRSky range of FASST compatible receivers have a good reputation. AFAIK the Orange FASST receiver is a re-badged FRSky TRR8.
I have TFR8S TFR7 and TFR4 receivers so far all have worked perfectly.

I just looked at the FRSKy web site and there's now 7 FASST receivers in the range.

Some of these receivers require the TX fail safe to be disabled as it interferes with the onboard RX failsafe.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/Products.asp?BigClassID=18

A.
And more to come, including a S-Bus compatible receiver and... SERVOS !
Jan 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Registered User
crazy8s's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I have found varied posts and threads with bits and pieces about specific brands or models but no central discussion that talks about them all, so let's start one.

We are talking about receivers that claim to be compatible with Futaba FASST radio system. Examples would be ORANGE and FRSKY.

I am not talking about counterfits. I am talking about companies that seem to have created compatibles.

Here are my questions, they may also be your questions.


Which make and models do you have?

How long have you been using them?

Which radio do you use with these receivers?

What sort of aircraft are you flying?


Experience - good or bad, including glitches, crashes, customer service. If you love'em, say so. If you hate 'em, say so and why.

In the 72 MHz FM world we were used to having FM/PPM receivers from a wide variety of suppliers that would work with a wide variety of radios. As we went to 2.4 we had clear brand lock-in. These receivers may offer that flexibility to have receivers from multiple sources again.
Aeajr,
I have been using several of the 8 channel ORANGE FASST receivers for almost 2 years now with a Futaba 7C, 10CG and a TM-7 module for the older radios and have never had so much as a glitch or jitter. As a matter of fact I cannot tell the difference in performance and range between these Orange receivers and my Futaba 617's that I have. Because of my using them without any problems several of my flying club buddies also started using them this past summer without any problems. I've been using them in .60 sized sport planes up to 1.20 sized Warbirds.

As for John Kim please disregard his post! Don't know where he gets off telling people what they should buy!!
Jan 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
Registered User
crazy8s's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
Dead horse time again!!!
+1 Andy!!
Jan 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim
If you cannot afford expensive Futaba receiver and must use Chinese clone,
you should have bought Chinese radio, such as Turnigy 9X, in the first place.
So, you are suggesting I should sell my two Futaba 9C supers and my FASST TM7 module and my 3 Futaba FASST receivers in order to buy a Turnigy 9X? What would be the benefit of doing that? That seems to be a very odd suggestion.

Would you have said the same thing when you learned that i have Futaba, Hitec, GWS and Berg 72 MHz receivers that I use with my two Futaba 9C super radios?

How about the fact that I also use Spektrum receivers with my Futaba 9C Supers.

Nothing unusual here. We have been mixing brands for decades. Where have you been?
Jan 23, 2012, 03:42 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
Dead horse time again!!!
+2 Andy!!
Jan 23, 2012, 05:21 PM
**** 37130 ****
RobC(UK)'s Avatar
I have 10 Orange FASST, 6 FrSky TFR6 and one TFR8S.

4 of the Orange were from the first batch on HK so they are fairly old the others I bought soon after expecting Futaba to take legal action. Before use, all of these were "burnt in" on the bench with a full load of servos for over an hour without any failures. In use they have been faultless and I have taken planes to the limit of my vision and then pointed the antenna at the plane without loss of signal.

The TFR6 are newer acquisitions from last year and again have been faultless in use. At just over half the size of the 617, a neat little full range 6ch Rx for those awkward little places.

All flown with 6EX, 7C and 8FGS, except for the TFR8S which has only been used to test the 14ch of the 8FGS.
Jan 23, 2012, 05:54 PM
Oxford Panic
AndyOne's Avatar
Rob,

I don't think Futaba have a case against FRSky as the TFR range of receivers aren't copies of their design. I think, if anything, they promote sales of Futaba's FASST transmitters by allowing flyers to build up or convert their fleet at reasonable cost.
Jan 23, 2012, 08:17 PM
Registered User
Philipp's Avatar
Yeah, aeajr you should get rid of your 9C Supers quick. Tell you what, I'll send you my brand new Turnigy 9X in exchange. Then you will be up to the times. On second thought, I will also order another 9x and send it to you as part of the trade.
Jan 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
OK, back to our regularly scheduled research.

I have heard about Orange, FrSky and Corona. Are there any other FASST compatible receivers?
Jan 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I have heard about Orange, FrSky and Corona. Are there any other FASST compatible receivers?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1570634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp
Yeah, aeajr you should get rid of your 9C Supers quick. Tell you what, I'll send you my brand new Turnigy 9X in exchange.
about John Kim looks like another chinese living in the States... it's the same idiot which has recommend hundred times the CRAP 9X and the same which recOmmends 2S batts to replace 9.6V packS... LMAO please do not feed that troll any more https://www.rcgroups.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1552422
Jan 23, 2012, 11:49 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp
Yeah, aeajr you should get rid of your 9C Supers quick. Tell you what, I'll send you my brand new Turnigy 9X in exchange. Then you will be up to the times. On second thought, I will also order another 9x and send it to you as part of the trade.
That is a good deal. Grab it.

Or, aeajr can do it himself. Sell all Futaba radios and buy Turnigy 9X.
With money from selling two Futaba 9Cs and receivers, he can buy two Turnigy and two dozen receivers, still with a lot of money left over, enough money left to buy a few airplanes.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FRSky TFR6 and TFR4 FASST Compatible Receivers AndyOne Radios 0 Aug 01, 2011 12:07 PM
Found Your Futaba or compatible AM receivers wanted. hpiguy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 11 Mar 16, 2011 06:42 PM
Discussion Futaba fasst compatible receivers ? sebbe Radios 29 Nov 13, 2010 12:12 PM
Discussion U.S. residents buying planes from business overseas whatís your experience? N4FOX Electric Plane Talk 10 Mar 27, 2010 02:16 PM