This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 22, 2012, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

minimum practical size for 3d

minimum practical size for 3d

from what i have tried, i think the smallest is 24"wsx85gr 2cells for 3d performance using affordable equipment (not expensively priced). smaller like 4site can do but are too fragile to be practical. they get damaged too easily.
my snowstang (18"ws/50gr auw) can't be built lighter and with structure to handle normal flying-and this includes occasional crashing. i tried it with the brush8 and 7/3.5 and then 6/3 but just doesn't have enough power. changed to 1015 w/4:1 gb, but trying at home it barely holds at wot and when tried at the gym, it flies around and can do some aerobatics like rolls, but does not have enough power to do 3d. i was able to fly it non-stop high at the gym. although no 3d or unlimited vertical, has good power to perform rolls and depends more on my ability to learn how to try more maneuvers. maximum thrust i get is 55 grams.
extremely sensitive to ailerons, and turn is controlled with ail and rudder. the guys were impressed with it, but i realize i have to try 2 cells in the future.
i will mount 2 cells motors like the HXM 1400, park 180 and 1811-2000. but then, if i use these 2 cells motors that fit on the larger 24" class that have more wing area and don't weigh much more, what's the point? wing loading is crucial but the other factor is power loading. after trying 2cells i will see if it is enough for decent 3d. if i find a way to get enough power to hover i will try other designs, otherwise i will remain with the 24"s and 32"s
an update: i increased the wing area to 100 sq in and have been testing the 2 cells and, as expected, the extra power makes a big difference in performance, but now the plane wants to go too fast for indoor. for this kind of power, the 24" version is better balanced, and uses cheaper components.
but for outdoors, having a power ratio of 2:1 (120 gr thrust and 60 gr auw) and being able to do snap rolls, whatever, including unlimited vertical, is an exhilarating experience, so i intend to keep it for doing so from time to time.
there is a post above with details of it.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 14, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply