Apr 09, 2013, 05:55 PM
uptime4downtime
I too love these Yaks. I only have the regulars, but I am thinking seriously about the lazer. I'm just wondering how it would hold up to my regular outdoor flying. Does anyone have a CY lite that can comment on how it's holding up? I love everything about the Lazer. I'd be nicer to it, and I expect lighter means less impact damage, so it probably evens out?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2013, 06:01 PM
It's the Crack
Funny thing, I think I just realized why I was so crashy on my first Mini, and still occasionally.. All 3 of my Yak's a programmed with 0 expo and full throws. Funnier thing is, I have no desire to turn it down, my thumbs (and occasionally experimenting with fingers (pinch)) appear to be able to dial expo in and out mostly at will. I F-'ing love the throws. Dead stock, no 3-way gyro, TH digital servos all around on all 3 planes.
Apr 09, 2013, 08:40 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
The standard Yak has been my favorite until I flew the mini. Even with no place indoors to fly it. It's speed and precision makes a fun little plane. Now that the winds of spring and summer are here, it's time for the standard again. Though a new airframe will probably be on order this weekend. Might get the edge too. Yeah expo is a matter of preference, on my two Pitts I don't have any but the Yak has a little bit.

Got to give the nanos a try and see if they are better than the 1s ones I got last time.
Apr 09, 2013, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime
I too love these Yaks. I only have the regulars, but I am thinking seriously about the lazer. I'm just wondering how it would hold up to my regular outdoor flying. Does anyone have a CY lite that can comment on how it's holding up? I love everything about the Lazer. I'd be nicer to it, and I expect lighter means less impact damage, so it probably evens out?
Have the CY Lite. Fly exclusively outdoors. No problems at all. Great machine. However, do suggest that you take advantage of the opportunity to build it 'lite'....Cheers....D
Apr 09, 2013, 09:25 PM
uptime4downtime
Thanks! What servos do you run in the Lite? Any preferences? Rick
Apr 10, 2013, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Thanks guys. I guess I'd describe the yak as really looking good with those quick, hesitation type movements as you say. I am really enjoying trying to connect up the entire flight from start to finish, without too many 'downtime' pauses as it makes it really exciting, but also it still gets hard to keep up. I think the quick reactions of the little yak lends it to quick point-roll type stuff (or anything close to it!) and then, if you mix it up with softer, slower movements, it makes for an interesting flight. The the ability on the 26g to shoot up high and get fast again, into a stall or something, is nice. That first move is a full power blender into inverted flat spin. I didn't realise how nice it looks until I took the yak super high and just planted it. In full sunlight, it looks amazing even on a small little plane like the yak. Yes, I sort of yank the elevator on and off as I do loops or turns of any time, to get an angular type flying style I guess, and try to get sequences of angles that look as 'locked in' as I can get them, then into slow rolls, then into fast spins and snaps. The yak just keeps amazing me. I'm not bored with it yet!!

An analogy just came to mind: if you are musical, you might appreciate it: an enjoyable flight will contain stuccato (short, sharp), legato (smooth, connected), allegro (fast, furious), adagio (slow) - so if you think of you flight like a piece of classical music (or not so classical!) then it will provide a mix of these elements I think.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. Connecting it all together and keeping it varied certainly is an art form. It looks like I may need to study music to improve my flying!

I'll have try that full power blender into inverted flat spin. I tried doing a regular blender this morning but it didn't seem to flatten out. With so little momentum to play with, I guess keeping the power on is the way to compensate.
Last edited by jcansdale; Apr 10, 2013 at 04:32 AM.
Apr 10, 2013, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Thanks! What servos do you run in the Lite? Any preferences? Rick
Hi Rick,
I have gone Ultra Lite and am using D47 servos. Not for everyone, however, for my style of flying works exceptionally well. RTF weight 139 grams.
Apr 10, 2013, 10:27 AM
It's the Crack
139? Daaaaang.

No LG of course, right?

Not sure if someone already pegged you for the details, but I'd love to know how you built it out to 139 grams RTF. I could see dropping 10g +landing gear, but I'm 45g heavier flying weight with a brand newly built Lite. I don't really try to be spare with the Welder's, but still.

Thought about replacing the trusses with light carbon bracing, but I value the durability too much, and I'm guessing my motor/ESC/battery is probably at least 20g heavier..

But aside from all my guessing.. what setup, and what did you do during the build to trim weight?

Peter
Apr 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdawolf
139? Daaaaang.

No LG of course, right?

Not sure if someone already pegged you for the details, but I'd love to know how you built it out to 139 grams RTF. I could see dropping 10g +landing gear, but I'm 45g heavier flying weight with a brand newly built Lite. I don't really try to be spare with the Welder's, but still.

Thought about replacing the trusses with light carbon bracing, but I value the durability too much, and I'm guessing my motor/ESC/battery is probably at least 20g heavier..

But aside from all my guessing.. what setup, and what did you do during the build to trim weight?

Peter
If you're talking about ND? Here's a direct link to his post on both his lite and standard yaks.
Apr 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
I received my Crack with TH Power Combo. Included with the motor package are two aluminum shouldered disk. How are those to be used?
Apr 10, 2013, 03:32 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
One is for the GWS DD 8x4 or for the newest edition of the classic GWS SF 8x4,3. The other is for APC slowfly props.
Apr 10, 2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddunham
I received my Crack with TH Power Combo. Included with the motor package are two aluminum shouldered disk. How are those to be used?
Those are prop adapters. I believe they are used with an APC prop but I'm not 100% positive. I use the GWS or the Twisted Tuff props which don't need any type of adapter.
Apr 10, 2013, 03:35 PM

failed prop saver on 3s

Hi all
Went to have maiden flight with my CY on 3s (previous one was 2s) only to find that the prop saver could handle it and when I throttled up to take off the prop distorted and cos o-ring stretched.
I am running a hyerion z17 (pic below) which only allows the o ring style prop saver and the diameter of said o ring is 20mm. I guess I need one with more tension therefore smaller in diameter. Anyone know where I can get some from?
Apr 10, 2013, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark
One is for the GWS DD 8x4 or for the newest edition of the classic GWS SF 8x4,3. The other is for APC slowfly props.
Hmmm, didn't realize they changed the GWS props. I bought up a bunch of the 9X4.7 SF when I got the CY. So far I'm still on the original so i'm figuring I have at least a 2 year supply.
Apr 10, 2013, 03:44 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
The Old hub at the top and the new one at the bottom.

Quick Reply