Jul 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
Speaking of Ron Dog has anyone seen anything of him? Not seen him around in ages
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2012, 08:20 PM
3D for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly
Speaking of Ron Dog has anyone seen anything of him? Not seen him around in ages
Had a brief PM from him a couple days ago.

He's been indoors due to the heat plus the loss of his best friend still ways heavy on him.

JC
Jul 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
Slopes!!!!!
How long can you guys torque roll for? I think I hit about 6 seconds!

RCFS#40: Crack Yak Backyard TORQUE ROLLS! (1 min 57 sec)

Dan
Jul 13, 2012, 08:36 PM
3D for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlXdn1cjUKI

Dan
As long as I want to...

JC

ps - You're hover/torque rolls/pirouettes are much improved - nice job!
Jul 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araya213
It works great, my buddy has the same radio, I haven't used mine yet. One thing I'm having trouble with is the throws. The Crack Yak manual says for sport flight (which I'm going to use to start out) to use 20 to 30 degrees of throw. I assume on the 7c that translates to endpoint adjustment, which can only be set in percentage. Am I correct in this? And if so, how do I go about converting the degrees into a percentage? And what is this a percentage of, 360 degrees or 180 or less? I'm sorry if the last couple of questions don't make any sense, I'm totally new to setting up this radio.

**EDIT** After using a formula I found online, I ended up with 41%, does that sound right or am I way off? This number comes as a result of assuming that I'm looking for a percentage of 180 degrees.

**DOUBLE EDIT** Nevermind, just RTFM and discovered that %100 percent equals roughly 40 degrees
You can use dual rates. Don't mess with the endpoints. You can tame down the rates with everything connected and the rx bound to the tx, and just keep turning the dial until you hit 40 degrees or whatever angle you desire. And assign it to a switch, (I frefer the triple switch) and you can have high rates (50deg) med(45 deg) and low rates (40 deg) or again whatever angle you want.
Jul 13, 2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr
As long as I want to...

JC
Show off
JK!
Jul 13, 2012, 08:43 PM
3D for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer
You can use dual rates. Don't mess with the endpoints. You can tame down the rates with everything connected and the rx bound to the tx, and just keep turning the dial until you hit 40 degrees or whatever angle you desire. And assign it to a switch, (I frefer the triple switch) and you can have high rates (50deg) med(45 deg) and low rates (40 deg) or again whatever angle you want.
See my blog post on measuring angles with a cheap tool from Home Depot.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=319558

Always setup your initial throws at MAXIMUM throw on the HIGHEST rate. Then use dual/triple rates for your lower throws.

Mine are typically setup for Triple rates as follows: Insane rate (max throws) / High rate (most 3D stuff) / Low rate (for precision flying).

JC
Jul 13, 2012, 08:43 PM
Same.
Jul 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
Slopes!!!!!
Quote:
As long as I want to...

JC

ps - You're hover/torque rolls/pirouettes are much improved - nice job!
LOL... thanks! But what's a pirouette? Still a noob at plane 3D... go easy on me man!

Dan
Jul 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
3D for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO
LOL... thanks! But what's a pirouette? Still a noob at plane 3D... go easy on me man!

Dan
When you're helping the torque roll by adding left aileron - usually full left aileron.

Torque roll is when you leave ailerons neutral and the motor "torque" causes the plane to slowly rotate left.

Hover is no rotation (requires that you feed right aileron to counteact torque effect.

You probably knew most of that but for those newcomers that read this later - there you go.

JC
Last edited by JC Spohr; Jul 13, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Jul 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
Slopes!!!!!
Ah OK... it turns too slow for me if I don't help it out with the ailerons...

Dan
Jul 13, 2012, 09:00 PM
3D for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO
Ah OK... it turns too slow for me if I don't help it out with the ailerons...

Dan
You'll get there - just takes lots of practice.

You're coming along quickly so it won't be long...

JC
Jul 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
Slopes!!!!!
Quote:
You'll get there - just takes lots of practice.

You're coming along quickly so it won't be long...

JC
Thanks! I just wish that I had access to a larger field more often. Because I really can't do much in my backyard, I have to be careful of all those stupid trees! LOL

Dan
Jul 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320
I usually go for as much movement as possible!
This is pretty much exactly what I ended up doing, just setting them as much as I could without the servos binding and then backing off a bit and making sure the other side was pretty close to the same. Set dual rates, insane and candy-ass.

Maiden flight was great, but it didn't last long. I didn't crash it, but I had my CG all screwed up the first time I launched (forgot to check, just slapped a battery on the side to adjust subtrim and didn't move it back when I was done) and it flew real tail heavy. I brought it in for a nice soft landing and it still managed to rip a half inch slot under the motor mount, no big deal. Flew it around for 2 paks and then landed it to change batteries and the lower fuselage went ahead and finished ripping from the earlier spot to the bottom. Looked like someone took a bite out of it. I would expect the EPP to hold up way better than that, I was actually pretty proud of both landings because they were some of the better ones I've done, I think there might have been a fault in that spot. It's all patched up now but I had to bring it in for the night after 2 paks. It's a hell of a flyer, I'm not any good at 3D, still learning how to keep the thing in the air, so I'm pretty much limited to rolls, loops and snaps at this point. You guys weren't kidding about the rolls, this thing rolls fast! I spend a lot of time just doing that and being amazed at how agile the Crack Yak is. I was fighting some pretty decent wind so I had to switch to my wussy rate to get used to it at first, but it didn't take long before I was back to my high rate having a good time. I didn't crash it once, which is kind of a first for me. Going back for more in the morning!

I have a video, but the quality is crap and I kept the plane high most of the time so I could feel it out without danger. I'll post if if anyone cares to look.
Jul 13, 2012, 10:41 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlXdn1cjUKI

Dan
You know you have reached true proficiency in 3D when you can stay on 3D harrier, Hover or T-roll as long as you desire. After that the doors of XA open up and the learning curve starts over..

Quick Reply