Jan 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
treefinder
Build Log

OSP OneSheetPursuit OneSheeter#9 - full and half sheet

Well, the addiction continues... someone asked about a kf wing for the half sheeters, and a warbird, so out pops the OSP. Before our fighters were "fighters" they were "pursuit planes". That would include one of my favorite WWll planes, the venerable and underestimated P40 Warhawk. Deemed obsolete almost right after the beginning of the war, but nonetheless served in every theater from beginning to end. Guess she had something going for her.

Anyway, this is only a standoff scale (way off), but having maidened her this morning and now with three flights, I'm pretty happy with how she looks flying and how she flys. I set her up AET which gives plenty of maneuvering capability in the air, and I don't think I'll add gear, so the absent rudder won't be missed. I stilll need to add color and insignias, but figured I'd post the work so far.

Specs:
Wing span: 19.325", OAL: 16.25", AUW 3.1oz with 180mah 2s pack
Motor: ELE CX20-S 2100kv, GWS 5043 prop
HK 8-10amp SS esc
Pair of 2.5gm servos
HK 3ch 2.4ghz rx
And, of course a half sheet of Dollar store foam. (utilization wasn't so good on this one, only about 80%)
Oh, yeah, a couple of bbq skewers, two small pieces of 1/16" ply, three small pieces of credit card plastic and some .025music wire.

Here's the third flight of maiden day:
OSP-hs OneSheetPursuit -half sheet (1 min 59 sec)

UPDATE 3/26/2013: As I have been going through all my one sheeters in preparation for the One Sheet kits website, I have found a few issues with each. So, here are the updated files for the OSP: The new ones have today's date on them to distinguish from the original files. Also, for some reason I can't access ScaleandTile on my PC, so I've tiled them with Adobe (the bad news is it takes 12 pages instead of the 8 with S&T).
Last edited by springer; Mar 26, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added full sheet plans
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2012, 11:15 PM
fly it crash it fix it
All I can say is that has to be the best use of 50 cent worth of foam. Thank you for the beautifully detailed build.
Jan 21, 2012, 03:16 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Bravo!
Flying that obviously brings out your inner Fighter Pilot (Or should that be Pursuit Pilot)
Fiddlers Green have the P-40 as a freebie just now so you could check that for a paint scheme.
Jan 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
treefinder
Just saw that, might as well do one in paper too! two more packs today and finally switched to high rates on ailerons and got some seriously fast rolls! It's definitely time to color her up, before I do something stupid!
Jan 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
Soul-Fisher
Mike!!!! Gorgeous build. I'm making one for sure!
Jan 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
treefinder
Tim: thanks! I blame it all on you! You asked about a kf wing on the OSR, and that got me thinking - it's awful when I get thinking.....

totally off topic, I was thinking about the fuse for your trojan, and think that you could roll a "cylinder" to the cross section of the widest part, and then trim the top and bottom as you go aft to achieve the fuse shape you want. Would be a simpler smoother build than doing each short cylinder between each former, if a bit trickier. Might have to go through a couple of practice ones to get it right.
Jan 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Oh man Mike! Now this is just too cool to let slip by.
I wonder if this guy would do OK with the 1811 2s set up I have been using on my little ones?

Just adding it to the list. If build time ever comes I am slowly chipping away at my 80% BA but the gear will go nicely in this too afterwards.
Jan 21, 2012, 08:57 AM
treefinder
Jim: I'd think it will fit perfectly. The CX20 is an 11 gram motor. It's snug in the rx/esc/batt compartment, hence the battery sticking out bottom. If you are a good boy, and manage your fun time against your work/kids/mom time properly (meaning that you actually get a little fun time in the mix!) I'll get a laser cut sheet and let you do the beta buildl!
Jan 21, 2012, 09:13 AM
Soul-Fisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Tim: thanks! I blame it all on you! You asked about a kf wing on the OSR, and that got me thinking - it's awful when I get thinking.....

totally off topic, I was thinking about the fuse for your trojan, and think that you could roll a "cylinder" to the cross section of the widest part, and then trim the top and bottom as you go aft to achieve the fuse shape you want. Would be a simpler smoother build than doing each short cylinder between each former, if a bit trickier. Might have to go through a couple of practice ones to get it right.
Way to spoil your topic with my planes discussion. :P you're welcome for the Idea as it is what I plan on doing for the T28 trojan. I'm extremely impressed with your build it looks fantastic! I've been buying up some FFF from a friend and I need to build something with it. So the testing of the T28 and building up one of these little beauties should make smart use of my pile.

ON a side note, do you have any vids or pics on removing the paper from DTfoam? I haven't picked any up yet but I tried some Elmers foam core board and it's a nightmare to remove the paper! IF DT board is $0.50 a sheet and easy to remove the paper I think it'll be my new medium of choice!

Anyway Excellent build, was this a SKU design or free hand? Oh and I thought you were gonna loose it on the first throw of your vid you posted!!! Close one with that hard left roll after your threw it.
Jan 21, 2012, 09:48 AM
treefinder
Since you missed the quicksilver two weeks ago, I should bring it this week, and you can see how the rolled fuse gets tapered (although it's pretty obvious, i guess).

I bought two sheets of HobbyLobby foam, that I think is pretty similar to Elmers, and it was a nightmare to remove paper, just as you said! That foam has a layer of what I think is EVA that bonds the hard finish paper to foam on both sides. Because of it, the water doesn't get to the interface. With Dollar store foam (which is a buck a 20x30" sheet - so $.50 for the plane) the paper is a soft finish kraft paper that (i think) is only bonded to the foam by heat, so once you get the paper wet, that bond is weakened or broken. The trick is to get it wet (hold in the shower til paper is soaked) then let it dry out. Gotta make sure it's dry, as if it's still a bit wet, paper will come apart and you will have a fuzzy foam sheet! Awsome Orange spray cleaner (also available at Dollar stores) will speed up the process and sometimes give a cleaner removal. I used it religiously til I ran out, and tried just water. Now I just make sure it's dry before peelilng. Now, you will find sometimes that paper will peel off dry right away. John found this on the OSB he's building, so test first, but if it comes off hard, just get it wet.

I'll post the sketchup file so you can see what I did. It's not a true model, as I just picked off the side view for fuse, plan view for wings/tail and fudged the full fuse features on the cut sheet and in some working sections. not nearly as disciplined as some folk.
Jan 21, 2012, 02:39 PM
rcflyer
Sweet build, nice lines springer! Is this paper on or off?
Jan 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
I'm surprised you didn't like the HobbyLobby foam. I haven't had any issues peeling it dry, granted I have limited experience here. I just peel up a corner, tape it to a broom handle and roll it right off the foam. Then I just hit it with a sanding block briefly to get rid of any glue residue.

I'm afraid to try the DollarTree stuff, because I read about everyone soaking it in the shower or some kind of cleaner.