Sep 18, 2012, 07:09 PM
Based on the data in the excel sheet the Gens Ace Lipos seem to be the most accurate to their advertising. I just don't think they will have enough current to supply the power this motor needs on WOT runs back to back
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Since you're operating at the edge of performance available in today's lipoly technology, the TP's may be your best bet based upon various test reports that I have seen. While they're definitely not capable of 65C continuous, some trusted testers have demonstrated that they are among the best available.

Just be sure to purchase from a very reputable supplier or from TP directly to get the best performance. Some vendors may have old stock that will not offer the same performance as newly manufactured cells.

Mark
Sep 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks Mark, it seems like the I may have to bite the bullet on the Thunder than and get these packs. Price although not an option i want to get the max performance out of my setup however I don't want to overpay if the TP performs no better than a Gens Ace or other comparable lipo. Too bad there is not enough data on the TP lipo on here to compare.
Sep 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
Battery Puffer
Jetspeed, please check out my website at performancerclipos.com
I sell what I think are the best packs around. I sell only 65C packs and so far only to top boating and airplane racers for the most part. Mark Forsyth I would like to get you a pack to try and test if you would like. I sold some 5s 1800 packs to an F5B pilot over seas and he say these are the best packs he has ever tested. He is pulling 180 amps on full throttle. My packs have a 6 month warranty as well. Let me know if your interested and I will get you the size you want. My website will change soon and be much better to navigate. Thanks for looking.

Mark
Sep 19, 2012, 01:50 AM
MarkF, no offense but i think you missed the whole point of this thread. 65C is a great marketing tactic but unless you have data to prove they are 65C your words are as good as the next guy. And it's not that I don't trust you, I don't trust anyone advertising a product.

Lastly your packs are all too big for my application and even if they were the right size I still would not buy them over Thunder Power which has been proven at least even if they are not capable of the continuous Amp rating they claim.
Sep 19, 2012, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post

I guess a better question is what would you recommend for me looking at a 3S lipo between 1500-1800mAh. I'm going to be running two of them in parallel in a car with a Neu motor which is capable of drawing 1000W which equates to 90A Max draw (1000w / 11.1v = 90A)
That layout, assuming you can use 2 x 1800mah 3S packs in parallel, represents a real C for each pack of just 25C ( half of 90A = 45A, divide by 1.8 = 25C).
That being the case I would suggest 2 x GensAce 3S 1800 25C packs as a first stab on the basis that GensAce 25C actually meet their claimed ratings and are fairly cheap. As they have low IR, they should not overheat and hence should have reasonable life. (no guarantees in this game!)
Whichever lipos you choose try to ensure that the resistance ie wire thickness and length, of each pack harness is identical. Also use good, consistent connectors on each harness.
This is to ensure that the two packs share the current equally so that one is not being abused.

Wayne
Sep 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Wayne, yes I will be using 2 in parallel which ever two that i get. I was going to use Anderson PP which i have plenty of but decided to use Deans. I will check on the wires off the pack and keep an eye on them.

Thanks
Sep 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
Hi Wayne, yes I will be using 2 in parallel which ever two that i get. I was going to use Anderson PP which i have plenty of but decided to use Deans. I will check on the wires off the pack and keep an eye on them.

Thanks
If you have Andersons I would use those as I know the Deans copies of which there are many types, vary tremendously in resistance. I put them on the ESR meters because they are the most common type and this has demonstrated how varaible they are. Not sure about Andersons but XT60s are much better. Solid bullets are the best but you have an added risk of plugging into the wrong socket, particularly with two packs.

Wayne
Sep 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
Yes I'm well aware of the fake Deans, I'm buying mine direct from a retailer Deans sells them to so I know I will be getting authentic Deans. I choose the Deans b/c of their size and weight. I was looking at the XT60's as well but the size and the fact Great Planes make a parallel connector with real Deans is why I went with them.
Sep 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
It looks like the Gens Ace lipos will not fit so that is out of the question. I'm back at looking at the SPC, TP and now Hyperion packs. The data in the excel spread sheet shows disappointing results for the Actual C value.
Sep 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
Note that the 'True C' value in the spreadsheet is something that I added simply as a reference and is on the conservative side given that the primary motivation behind the tool is to help the modeler get the absolute best long term performance from his investment.

There may be some instances that the calculated 'True C' can be safely exceeded by a small amount without taking a tremendous toll on the packs. That said, if the calculator gives a value of 40 amps for maximum recommended continuous current and the user tries to draw 80 amps continuous, he will ruin his pack very quickly, this is certain. And precisely why the 'C' value written on the side of the pack is of little value in most instances.

Mark
Sep 19, 2012, 07:06 PM
Makes sense, and I'm glad you pointed that out, I was looking at all the data for specific makes and noticed some brands just performed better than others. I would like to get my hands on some packs to contribute to the spreadsheet.
Sep 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
Battery Puffer
A Dinogy 3s 1800 pack measures 25 x 35 x 88. Would that work for you?

Mark
Sep 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
Too big, the max Height can no be bigger then 22.5mm as i measured with the calipers.
Sep 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
Would you manage to get away with an extra half mill? Loong max Tipple 1800mah 3S listed as 100X36X23. Just ordered a couple myself but haven't got them yet to check them for you.

Quick Reply