New Products Flash Sale
Jan 20, 2012, 07:45 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Discussion

FMS PT-17 Stearman in epo foam, 40+" span, 1/20/12

It's really great when a new model is announced that few would guess is near the radar. No longer being cataloged at Banana Hobby.. Latest vendor update: http://www.motionrc.com/fms-stearman...-wingspan-pnp/
Last edited by gnats82; Jan 27, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
...removed...
Last edited by gnats82; Jan 27, 2014 at 01:09 PM.
Jan 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
That is a good looking plane.
Jan 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Banana Hobby -

DO CHECK YOUR AD COPY...! This is a PNP/ receiver ready airplane is it not? No need to suggest a 2.4 ghz system is in it...
You can get it both ways
Jan 20, 2012, 02:43 PM
Always Ready!
That does look really good -- lots of great details. And half the weight of the E-Flite model.
Jan 20, 2012, 03:18 PM
Parkstormer!
I spotted it too--I love Stearmans and this looks more suitable for a mid-sized park than the E-Flite model that I've got in the "build line." I worry about ordering from BH, though--the planes I've bought from them have been fine, but the CS hasn't been the best, to put it mildly. Still, at that price I may just order one on the assumption that I can fix whatever's wrong or that I manage to break . . .
Jan 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
twiz. - post #4

I realize you can get it both ways but not at the header price of $139.90 which has the 2.4 ghz radio referred to in the head line. They're tricky that way.

That aside, I'm a Stearman 'fan', have been for a long time and it kind of tickles me there's this nice looking foam version coming out. We have a small airport nearby in Benton, Ks. that's been named Stearman Field and is home base for ~6 restored ones as well as a first class restaurant on site. My father was an inspector for the War Assets Admn. during WWII and oversaw the purchase of many Stearmans at Boeing-Wichita for the army and navy.

Sadly, the era of Boeing-Wichita is slated to be coming to an end. It's quite a large facility and on the site of the Stearman factory which it absorbed in the early '30s. Boeing kept the last PT-17 it produced from the factory and it was rolled out for displays regularly in the '50s. As I recall, it is now in the hands of the Wichita Air Museum which was Wichita's commercial air terminal until the early '50s and is located as a part of a whole complex that incorporated it and nearby Boeing as well.
Last edited by gnats82; Jan 21, 2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added material
Jan 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds

Put one on back-order...

Just ordered this PT-17 from Banana Hobby, my first dealings with them. Delivery will be sometime in mid-Feb. if all goes per schedule.

Amazing what thoughts of values arise when thinking of my first foam and electric powered arf purchase in 2007, a Thunder Tiger P-40 with an included brushless motor, for just a few dollars less than this one. It had no esc, or servos and had considerably more work involved to get it to flying status.

This may just be what I've been looking for to fly off of the grass flying site at a local school.
Last edited by gnats82; Jan 21, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Jan 21, 2012, 05:28 PM
Ohhh! I'm liking this
Jan 21, 2012, 06:25 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds

Dusting off some recent memories...

Well, recent as of 2008 or so, the last time I flew this 30" span, scratch built PT-17. It served me for much of my flying at the local h.s. parking lot but wind conditions during my last flight resulted in it getting pretty crumpled. It's back to flying status but is too small for grass field use. Color and markings are from a USAAC training base in Indiana during the war.

This new FMS offering opens some options as to color schemes since it would be pretty simple to paint the fuselage trainer yellow as used by the U.S. Navy and add the various unit colors they used during the war. If one gets really ambitious, the overall silver could be done, of course adding more variety. Maybe the factory will get around to making some other schemes available.
Jan 22, 2012, 04:48 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds

John Mohr - Stearman exhibition

While we wait and ponder this new FMS release, there are some videos on You Tube showing John Mohr performing in his totally stock PT-17 at airshows.
This is just a short one:
John Mohr's Stearman display (2 min 16 sec)

There are other, better ones on there to feast on. I have seen him do his routine in person and it is awesome. During the show, it was mentioned that the Stearman is built for +13gs, and one of his dives to level flight has a heart wrenching pullout that one intuitively can feel the force from. His Stearman has no inverted fuel system to boot.
Jan 23, 2012, 04:31 PM
Where do you buy parts? I would like to have a spare prop or two if I bought this. I love my Eflite Stearman but this looks like fun too
Jan 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Where do you buy parts? I would like to have a spare prop or two if I bought this. I love my Eflite Stearman but this looks like fun too
Parts will be available through Banana Hobby according to the announcement page but likely not until after the first shipment of the models arrive.

I've had my eye on the Eflite one for a while too but want to put a .30 sized four stroke engine in it. That won't work at my current flying site though so is an idea for maybe another time.

I've examined the BH photos again and am impressed with the attention to detail with the small things like the rigging locations, even on the tailplane. It's cause to wonder how far into biplanes they'll go.
Jan 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Glad to see another source (PW-RC) emerge for this and other new FMS planes, especially biplanes. No problem at all with me about their choices and in particular, the Stearman is a jaunty, great flying bipe.

FMS seems to be "pulling out all the stops" coming up with new releases with Durafly walking 'in step' along the same lines.
Jan 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
The thing I dont like is the saggy top wing and I hope maybe it was put together wrong