This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 19, 2012, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

the swallow (for the fun of flying)

once i worked at an office in a 17th floor of a building downtown, and my desk was near a window. 1 afternoon, when i happened to look outside, i noticed a swallow flying nearby at same level of my window, without flapping its wings. then it came back. she was doing figure 8s without flapping its wings. what happened was that she was using the constant wind that was blowing against the building and then going up, so it generated a constant updraft, like the 1 at slopes where the guys fly sailplanes. it did so for about 5 minutes, and then flew away. next day i looked at the window at same time and suddenly here she came, having the time of her life! she did it every afternoon at about the same time. amazing how creatures of the air enjoy flying. like buzzards, eagles, gulls or hawks getting into thermals. they enjoy soaring and also do it for going somewhere, once at the top of the thermal, or to have a better view for prey, but this fellow was just for the pleasure of soaring.
remember jonathan livingston seagull?
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 19, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply