Sep 03, 2013, 03:48 PM
Everything's A Composite
It's been awhile......have you had a chance to snag a thermal or two yet with this bird??? Thermal season is just warming up in my neck of the woods.

Kent
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2013, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
Hi Kent

I've not flown her from the flat yet but have had many good sessions off the slope in marginal conditions. I'd say she doesn't thermal quite so well as my 2m and 2.4m wings, but is a better performer than either of those as the wind picks up. I have also been ballasting the model in stronger lift, managed to flutter her and burst the joiner box out of the skins, but have since repaired and reflown.

I've installed wing fences and this has allowed me to push the cg back, but the model will still spin if I'm scratching around too slowly.

I will report back once I've sent her up the line, I also have several other wing ideas I'd like to get cracking on once work family and house allow!
Sep 04, 2013, 10:31 AM
Everything's A Composite
It's a cool plane.........would like to see more of it.

Were you able to get sense of what type of flutter???

I recently had a flutter that was purely torsional, but yours sound more like a flutter in the bending direction.

With your CG so far back, were you able to ballast up by adding weight to the center pod or were your forced to place the weight out on the wing? Although it would be difficult (to my thinking) to add weight to the wing, doing so would certainly reduce bending in the joiner area. With all of that weight out on the wing, I can imagine that roll response would be smooooooth. Also, yaw stability could become very interesting.

Kent
Sep 05, 2013, 02:47 AM
Thread OP
Hi Kent

I piled a LOT of ballast on to the centre pod and did a monster dive. I'm sure ballast positioned outboard would help, but better still would be a beefier model maybe with a 3 piece wing specifically build for speed......that's one for the 'to do' list anyway!
Mar 11, 2018, 03:16 AM
the answer 42 is

I am Back!!

Hey Paul

after a long hiatus I am back at building, I have had this wing on my bucket list for long enough and I am planning to build a composite version of it.

I am collecting the data and preparing my drawings, but there are a couple of things missing :P

DId you put anhedral on the wing?? or is it just flat?? DO you have more details on the wiglets? size, airfoil, position??

thanks a lot and good winds

EZ
Mar 11, 2018, 03:32 AM
Thread OP
Hi Edwin, good to see you back in the saddle! I did put about 1.5 deg anhedral into the wing. I shall dig out the model and measure up the fin size and location.

A couple of changes I'd make if I were to build this one again. I'd resize the flaps; the unflapped central area can cause a nose down dive close to the ground as you descend through the wind gradient. Secondly I'd use a different wing section... I'm not the biggest fan of the MH45, so maybe decide on your mission purpose and then go from there!

I look forward to seeing your progress!
Mar 11, 2018, 10:11 AM
the answer 42 is
Hey Paul thanks for the tip. I was thinking in building a tested design, I am not sure if I want to go back to the XFLR5 days :P

which one could you recomend me? I mean a wing around 3m for slope and thermal

Regards

EZ
Mar 12, 2018, 03:18 AM
Thread OP
How about scaling my 4 metre design down to 3 metres? It doesn't have to be balsa construction, infact some extra weight will give it more versatility....
May 04, 2019, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Dusted off the old girl for a bit of slope action. I'll be trying this camera
angle with a bungee launch at some point.

In the meantime I have 5 metres of something that keeps giving me neglect laden
glances from the corner of the workshop....

flying wing nose cam (1 min 22 sec)
May 05, 2019, 03:32 AM
You know nothing....
Good to see you back!Some interesting shots,watching you ‘work’the wing.
Enjoying the bracing spring weather?This time last year it was about 29c
May 05, 2019, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
Good to see you back!Some interesting shots,watching you ‘work’the wing.
Enjoying the bracing spring weather?This time last year it was about 29c
There have been some superbly active skies in the last few days, alas too many north westerlies and too
much work to get many flying sessions in..... but the season has only just started!

Quick Reply