Feb 25, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm a glider pilot really.....
Hope the weather turns out OK tomorrow Paul and the maiden goes well.

Simon
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
im shure it will be great
mark in fl
Feb 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Everything's A Composite
I hope the blond shows up.
Feb 26, 2012, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
No wind today however tomorrow and Tuesday are looking a little more positive so fingers crossed.....

In the mean time, I rigged and balanced the model and took a few pre-maiden shots in the garden.

AUW is 3lb 6oz but she doesn't feel too heavy for her size. I only had to add 2oz of nose weight. Total time invested so far is 42 hrs. There's a few little tweaks I still should do but nothing that will stop a test flight.
Feb 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
Deniable plausibility
Looks splendid! Best of luck for the big day
Feb 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Yes it looks splendid!Have a great first flight.
I am interested to hear how the ailerons work for proverse/adverse yaw.
Regards,
-Eric
Feb 26, 2012, 03:17 PM
Paul,

I'm sure all will go well. It looks good, and as they say... if it looks good, it'll fly good.

Vern
Feb 27, 2012, 03:04 AM
the answer 42 is
wowow Paul another beauty, I hope you get grear wind for the maiden

Regards

EZ
Feb 27, 2012, 03:11 AM
Perhaps I've missed this. I noticed the flaps don't go all the way to the root of the wing, any reason for this?
Feb 27, 2012, 03:42 AM
Thread OP
Thanks chaps, it's looking a bit wet and misty today so I'll have to distract myself with other activities.

Mhodgson, I've set up the flaps so they'll (hopefully) be pitch neutral. If I had extended them to the root there would be a pitch up on deployment. Also on the previous wings I've built with flaps, a shorter deeper surface has worked better than the longer narrower one (better in terms of pitch stability and maintaining roll control when deployed).

Paul
Feb 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Success!

I had to do a site visit for work this afternoon which took me close enough to my regular hill to make it worth while packing the wing. Did my work stuff then got up to the cold grey Downs to find a perfect 7 - 10mph breeze. Did a range check and then a 'nutter' sprint with model in hand to see how she felt....she definitely wanted to go!

Launched on the lip of the hill, just need a few clicks of up trim. Good authority in both roll and pitch, even with the cg at 15%. She goes up well in lift and carries energy through nicely, the video doesn't convey the speed too well though. Flaps need a touch of down compensation, I tried several times to land without them but in the end I had to use them to get her in.

The bad news is in the damp air, my non bagged wing showed a few more bubbles under the veneer...I really loused up there. I'll have to get a syringe and inject resin in under...can you buy syringes over the counter these days?

flying wing glider (5 min 0 sec)
Last edited by miniphase; Feb 27, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Feb 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
Everything's A Composite
Nice ! I see your camera crew made an appearance.

That is one well behaved glider.

I don't know if you already programmed in some elevator compensation with the flaps. Assuming no compensation, do you feel that the flaps are neutral?

Kent
Feb 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Kent

I didn't have any compensation set up, they're not far off being neutral as I only had to hold in a touch of down. I will programme in some down elevon ready for the next flight session.

Paul
Feb 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
Everything's A Composite
This is a good thing. Inasmuch as the flap deployment requires some nose down from the elevons, that means that elevons are deflected down, thus creating even more drag than flaps alone. It's ideal. With a modest head wind, this one should be able to parachute down nicely, this is if you don't mind toying around with a stall near the ground. Some thing like this.

Horti parachute landing with just elevons (0 min 48 sec)

Can't wait to get one of my own.

Kent
Feb 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
Deniable plausibility
That looks great! Always nice when things go that well, eh?

As to the landing - you could try a bit of this -

Scan Eagle Landing (0 min 38 sec)

Quick Reply