Jun 05, 2012, 10:19 PM
Are these notes from the Samba instructions only for the unpianted carbon fuse and top of wings?

"Model can not stay long in the sun without silver protection covers (including fuselage) to prevent excessive heating up of the model as there could appear some deformations of model parts when model is overheated or the surface could get distortions."

What are the various weight/fabric configurations and expected all up weight? What version(s) is Soaring USA bringing to the US?

Stefano
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2012, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2
Are these notes from the Samba instructions only for the unpianted carbon fuse and top of wings?
Be extra careful with naked carbon wings. The less there is paint, and the darker the color is, the more care you must take. You can destroy any wing by leaving it to hot sun for a long period.

Years back our planes came with thin glass on carbon (or they were glass structure). And the color were mostly white (or anyway not very dark). And there was thicker layer of paint... All this gave protection to sunlight.
Jun 06, 2012, 05:12 AM
F3B
Over here (England) we dream about the wings getting too hot in this "sun" you talk of.....
Jun 06, 2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet
Over here (England) we dream about the wings getting too hot in this "sun" you talk of.....
Greetings from Finland

But be warned. It is not so much about ambient temperature, it is direct solar energy that heats the wings. Given a bright enough sun shine, one can damage wings at 20C temperature.
Jun 06, 2012, 08:20 AM
F3B
yeah there are probably a two or three days a year where we need to be careful......
Jul 02, 2012, 06:30 AM
Bro
Bro
Thread OP

Perfections

Hi Guys,
Looks like there may be a Pike Perfection available on a shipment that will be in our shop next week.
These models are very, very nice, and hard to come by. If anyone has an interest in one, please email me;
bob@soaringusa.com

Thanks,
Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
Jul 02, 2012, 07:26 AM
Should be test flying one Wednesday in KANSAS of all places
Jul 02, 2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
Greetings from Finland

But be warned. It is not so much about ambient temperature, it is direct solar energy that heats the wings. Given a bright enough sun shine, one can damage wings at 20C temperature.
Just last week I did a check after a flight on a blue model with only 20C (68F) outside temperatures, with the result of over 60deg C!

No black on models for me (at least not at the top).

Cheers
Thomas
Last edited by wakumann; Jul 02, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Jul 05, 2012, 09:25 AM
I have wings with no paint, they get hot in sunlight... Something to do with black body radiation...

Thinking of painting the wings pink just like Philip kolbs new prestige.... According to Phillip you then shouldn't get any black body radiation even though the pink is pretty hot, just like him...
Jul 05, 2012, 10:05 AM
-----
I recall there was research done into the colour of motor cars and heat absorption. Apparently almost any colour of the spectrum that isn't white (including silver) results in almost as much heat absorption as black. So, white's the only colour to go for if your'e concerned about this issue. Probably explains why most cars in South Africa are white.....
Jul 05, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hi Cris

I have some Models with black /red stripes, just checking by hand the black area is significantly hotter.
Anyway if I dont have bags with me to cover so I stuff them verticly into the next bushes.

Cheers
Thomas

my next model will be a white/pink one , possibly I will spray paint the pink to red, lol
Last edited by wakumann; Jul 14, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Jul 05, 2012, 12:28 PM
-----
Hi Thomas, yeah, I dunno. It's just something from way back that stuck in my brain - maybe it's hogwash? I can sure imagine black parts of a plane radiating more heat after a while, it seems to make sense doesn't it? I suppose the message is that white is best if your'e looking for specific protection. Isn't that why full-sized gliders are usually white?
Jul 05, 2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1
. Isn't that why full-sized gliders are usually white?
Excactly, based on the tech product data of epoxies used
so it only counts only for Fibreglass gliders, the Pilatus and other metal ones could be any color.

OT out
back to topic
seeing a Perfection on a slope, nice floating Machine,.... but IMO it makes only sense for competion, for 'slope freestyle' not so much fun.

Cheers
Thomas
Last edited by wakumann; Jul 14, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Jul 06, 2012, 04:48 PM

Perfections over KS

Jim,

Looks like there will be another Perfection flying the skies over KS in a few weeks. My Precision needed a buddy.

See Ya,

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickie
Should be test flying one Wednesday in KANSAS of all places
Jul 06, 2012, 07:34 PM
Claude Turner
There has been one flying in Visalia for a week now.

Quick Reply