This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

ultra micro: what is it?

what is an ultra micro, in 1st place? when i saw at the gym an ultra micro (um) sukhoi from horizon for the 1st time, i decided to get it for using its parts for my own designs. i developed a trainer/sport (the elf) with undercambered hi-wing with 1mm foam, 18" ws/50gr auw, that flew way slower than the sukhoi-which is an aerobatic plane for experts. then i gradually increased the size of my planes to 20", 22, and 24", and still they don't use all the power-and fly slower, so they are great for slow flying at the gym or no wind outdoors. then horizon (hh) released the 4site, which is a 3d plane for experts. it does what it claims, but at the expense of being fragile, as it allows no crashing, which is very hard to achieve, even for experts. then came the p51, a fast plane, the t28, then the champ, that is slower than the others, and more stable, and fits better the needs for people in the process of learning. but then hh went to 2 cells motors, larger and heavier planes, that make me wonder if they still could (or should) be considered um, because with the same size 2 cells motors i fly larger 3d planes (24", 85gr), that are not called um. for the original parts i have designed 30" flying wings, birds, and 20" canards, that weigh about 60 gr, and fly faster than my trainers, but still could be called um due to the motors/cells used. or is the wingspan what limits the um? i even am developing a symmetrical mid-wing 18" ws/50 gr plane for aerobatics. the increase in weight is so it is strong enough to take realistic wear, but is not so much of a 3d. and if i go to 2 cells motors, to make it a 3d, it will be using same parts as my 24" planes that do 3d (and use low cost rx and servos), but then again, are not considered um.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply