Apr 13, 2012, 04:18 AM
wep
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Steve ! Question:

I read somewhere in the thread that you successfully use te xbee pro with windows7 64bit

With me it works on my XP laptop but wayyy too slow on XP
But it's connected sonI assume Xbee is setup correctly.

On window7 it just doesn't want to connect.
It's windows 64bit
Do you have the 32 version or do I kiss something else?

Update firmware of the Xbee maybe? Bought them about 1,5yr ago

Thanks if you can help me with this one.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2012, 08:22 AM
Anyone know if connectivity needs to go through the USB-TTL cable? Can I just make up a cable that uses the tx, rx, and ground pins of a standard 9-pin rs-232 port?
Apr 13, 2012, 08:35 AM
go ahead and try
I`d hate to think that my interest in the use of the data modem is misunderstood... the tests I am conducting (on the ground) involve developing a failsafe and redundancy, in order to increase the range of my UAV FPV safely... Feiyu said that the data modem can function in a certain way, so I checked it out... The final goal for me is to use the data modem, a frsky Rx, and a turnigy Rx for redundancy. In the plane I have the Frsky Rx, a Turnigy 9x Rx and the data modem. The two 2.4Ghz Rx are switched using the wireless buddy box system from Hobbyking (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18703).

On the ground, both Tx (frsky and turnigy) are set up so either module can be used. The ppm signal is sent via 1mW amp. The idea is to be able to use any of the devices to maitain control. I spoke to Feiyu in regrds to setting up the GCS to automatically switch to the data modem control when and if the RX loses signal, and back again when the Rx rebinds. The use of two independant Rx, that can be toggled fromt the ground allows me to have a dual Rx system, using two different RX and dual BEC system (see https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html)

I have also bee working on a tripod mounted 70mm spotting scope, connected to an antenna tracker (AHRS) so as to keep an eye on the bird at long distance. The scope is fitted with accd cam, and can be viewed from my goggles. If I lose vid from the plane, I switch to the scope and try to bring it back into LOS....
Apr 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
yup i have xbee pro on windows 7 64 bit

can you tell me the error? or do a screen shot?

make sure the com port is set to 19200 and also the modems...

I agree the GCS does not run well on XP very slow...

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wep
Steve ! Question:

I read somewhere in the thread that you successfully use te xbee pro with windows7 64bit

With me it works on my XP laptop but wayyy too slow on XP
But it's connected sonI assume Xbee is setup correctly.

On window7 it just doesn't want to connect.
It's windows 64bit
Do you have the 32 version or do I kiss something else?

Update firmware of the Xbee maybe? Bought them about 1,5yr ago

Thanks if you can help me with this one.
Apr 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
far as I know you can't do that.. RS232 is not the same.. however there are converters that will change RS232 to ttl...

I may be talking out my a$$ though.. this is something I have to learn more about.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daronj
Anyone know if connectivity needs to go through the USB-TTL cable? Can I just make up a cable that uses the tx, rx, and ground pins of a standard 9-pin rs-232 port?
Apr 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
keep us posted on your progress... sorry I can't help you becuase I just don't set my systems up like this as I find it overcomplicated.

as for LOS... it's more important to see the air traffic around the area than your plane itself....

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly
I`d hate to think that my interest in the use of the data modem is misunderstood... the tests I am conducting (on the ground) involve developing a failsafe and redundancy, in order to increase the range of my UAV FPV safely... Feiyu said that the data modem can function in a certain way, so I checked it out... The final goal for me is to use the data modem, a frsky Rx, and a turnigy Rx for redundancy. In the plane I have the Frsky Rx, a Turnigy 9x Rx and the data modem. The two 2.4Ghz Rx are switched using the wireless buddy box system from Hobbyking (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18703).

On the ground, both Tx (frsky and turnigy) are set up so either module can be used. The ppm signal is sent via 1mW amp. The idea is to be able to use any of the devices to maitain control. I spoke to Feiyu in regrds to setting up the GCS to automatically switch to the data modem control when and if the RX loses signal, and back again when the Rx rebinds. The use of two independant Rx, that can be toggled fromt the ground allows me to have a dual Rx system, using two different RX and dual BEC system (see https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html)

I have also bee working on a tripod mounted 70mm spotting scope, connected to an antenna tracker (AHRS) so as to keep an eye on the bird at long distance. The scope is fitted with accd cam, and can be viewed from my goggles. If I lose vid from the plane, I switch to the scope and try to bring it back into LOS....
Apr 13, 2012, 10:08 AM
go ahead and try
You know, often there are CF-130`s that fly over the property, at unreasonably low altitudes (under 300`) Low enough that the bald head of the pilot is clearly visable (seriously) I suppose they are practicing low level missions, and as they is a very low population here, they probably think it is `safe` It is possible that I could pose a danger to them, and I would love to have a way to find out when and where they plan to be, or even to be able to call up Trenton or Petawawa air base to let them know where and when I will be flying....
Apr 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
we need our own radar station!!!

someone please build one and sell them to us for cheap

Steve
Apr 13, 2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly

I like the tripod mounted 70 mm spotting scope connected to an antenna tracker idea.
Though the rules of FPV flying are that you are only to fly no further than you can
see your plane with the naked eye ,it would be nice to have that added advantage
just in case things go wrong. I really envy the guys that live in other countries that have more laid back regulations, but I have a feeling that their regulations will soon become as strict as Canada's.
Good luck with your redundancy project, I'd really to see how it's all configured
once you get it all figured out.
Apr 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
FPV Electronics For Life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg
we need our own radar station!!!

someone please build one and sell them to us for cheap

Steve
Current radar systems cannot even spot small aircraft let alone foam RC's, why manned aircraft are required to have a transponder.
Apr 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
yeah... kinda joking
Apr 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
yeah... kinda joking
I DO recommend an aviation radio, we have one at every flying site (local AMA club)
Apr 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thread OP
good plan! did you get your plane in the air yet?

steve
Apr 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
good plan! did you get your plane in the air yet?

steve
Finally have a break in the weather today, but I have a 1 watt amp out for delivery (for my RC control), so I am waiting on that before I go fly.

I spent hours messing with my prop, and I have gotten it to where at cruising speed the AP doesn't freak out because of the vibes, so hopefully that will go well today, though ReadyMade said they will replace my FY31AP because of the bad pots once they have them in stock, so once they are in stock I am going to exchange it.

One thing that helped was looking at OSD view while messing with the prop balance, I could clearly see the IMU roll go out of whack once vibes got too bad, though I have a new motor and prop on their way from China so once that comes vibes will be eliminated completely.
Apr 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
great.. I think the next thing FY needs to do is more filtering for vibrations... we should not have this much problems.

if you have troubles getting rid of vibes in the past I just changed to a differnt pitch or dia. prop and it solved my issues.

OSD helps greatly! and remember if anything goes wrong make sure you are ready on the switch to go to manual control.

oh and buying a quality motor will also help reduce the vibes.. when it comes to putting a plane together that costs this much I HIGHLY recommend using quality components... that means...

no junky hxt servos
no junk hobby king motors
use a castle creations 10 amp bec and disconned the onboard bec from the esc
you can use a junk esc cause the plane wont crash if it quits...

just my humble opinion of course.

Steve

Quick Reply