Mar 18, 2012, 08:21 PM

Using Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupelo
Hi

Which SSL driver should I use? I have Vista (parallels/MacBook Pro) and there are only drivers for Win XP and Win 7. The waypoint program seems to be running fine on my computer.

Another question: Alishanmao said on his instructional video that he plugs the ESC/channel 3 straight into the receiver of the plane instead of FY-31AP. He has had nothing but problems after plugging the ESC to FY-31AP. Whats your opinion on this? I have not tested yet so I donīt know.

Thanks!
Just checking to see if you got your FY-31AP and GCS working properly yet
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2012, 08:54 PM

Alternative mapping solution for GCS?

Hi All,

Have been reading over and learning plenty from the experiences of others on this thread.

The issue of operating the GCS without live internet access / cached maps seems unresolved at this point.

Was wondering whether the FY GCS is absolutely tied to using Google Earth mapping or is it possible to point it to an alternative real time mapping program such as OziExplorer that is intended to be operated in 'offline' situations - http://www.oziexplorer.com/

Do doubt there are many other similar software packages available. I use this Ozi routinely for work purposes and find it brilliant for real time mapping work and other mapping / coordinate conversion tasks. Granted it costs US$110 but it allows the user to import and accurately georeference a map from a variety of file types. Once you've told the map where it is (identify 3+ positions on the map) you can then plug your GPS (or just an antenna) into the computer and head off with the real time mapping indicating your position. All sorts of useful data is recordable. Maps can be joined together so that you don't drive / fly off the edge. It can convert into / out of kml files but uses different file formats to operate (.wpt, .plt).

I don't have the knowledge to know whether it is at all remotely possible to integrate an alternative mapping system but thought that I would float the idea across the learned folk on this thread.

My use of the FY31AP will be predominantly at sites without internet access (I'm a wildlife biologist .... with no links to software manufacturer other than as a customer / user). So a resolution to the mapping issue within the GCS is of real interest.

MJ
Mar 19, 2012, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly
out of interest.. what made you upgrade the firmware?
did rth and flight stabilisation, circle mode etc work on original FW, or were you having glitches? or did u do the upgrade for the gcs fixes?
cheers p
Upgrading your firmware will always help as the new firmware will be more stable and reliable. This is continuos improvement that the manufacturer offers to customers. However, there are downsides as well. The new firmwares should be tested by the manufacturer thoroughly before release. There may be some bugs in the new firmware. So it should be tested before releasing.

I am runnig the latest firmwares on both Hornet OSD and the 31AP.
Never had any upgrade issues. Just ensure that you have your laptop connected to a power source and never ever interupt the upgrade process. It may take some time to detect your instrument when you connect to the upgrading software. Be patient, it will get detected. Mine took 45 seconds to detect the 31AP connected to my laptop and ensure you use the correct port.

Cheers !!!
Mar 19, 2012, 03:43 AM
I had a discussion with Feiyutech on this. They informed that if you want to fly without a live connection then you must browse the map in the GCS software and without shutting down your GCS or laptop, go to the flying field and fly. If the GCS is closed, then cache is lost.

The current version of GCS is integrated with Google maps only.

I have suggested to incorporate to "use offline maps" feature where the GCS will not loose the cache that has been browsed on the GCS before. They said they will try to build that feature.

By the way, has anyone tried using any other GCS like Happykillmore GCS ?
Mar 19, 2012, 04:09 AM
Suspended Account
dude, i work in technology, i understand the concept of FW. my question was, what are the specific issues with the original FW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodellers
Upgrading your firmware will always help as the new firmware will be more stable and reliable. This is continuos improvement that the manufacturer offers to customers. However, there are downsides as well. The new firmwares should be tested by the manufacturer thoroughly before release. There may be some bugs in the new firmware. So it should be tested before releasing.

I am runnig the latest firmwares on both Hornet OSD and the 31AP.
Never had any upgrade issues. Just ensure that you have your laptop connected to a power source and never ever interupt the upgrade process. It may take some time to detect your instrument when you connect to the upgrading software. Be patient, it will get detected. Mine took 45 seconds to detect the 31AP connected to my laptop and ensure you use the correct port.

Cheers !!!
Mar 19, 2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
out of interest.. what made you upgrade the firmware?
did rth and flight stabilisation, circle mode etc work on original FW, or were you having glitches? or did u do the upgrade for the gcs fixes?
cheers p
Quote:
dude, i work in technology, i understand the concept of FW. my question was, what are the specific issues with the original FW...
In my case I had no issues using my FY31AP. I simply wanted the latest firmware version, which is supposedly better.

Nuno
Last edited by nunol; Mar 19, 2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: add quote
Mar 19, 2012, 04:46 AM
Quote:
I had a discussion with Feiyutech on this. They informed that if you want to fly without a live connection then you must browse the map in the GCS software and without shutting down your GCS or laptop, go to the flying field and fly. If the GCS is closed, then cache is lost.

The current version of GCS is integrated with Google maps only.

?
Thank-you Aero. That solution won't be appropriate for some of my field sites (>3000 km from my office) so will standby in anticipation of revisions by Feiyu or identify an alternative GCS as you suggested.

MJ
Mar 19, 2012, 07:32 AM
Thread OP
yes sorry to hear it... I totally agree that sometimes sh*t just goes wrong glad it was working up till then and wish a speedy return to you.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunol
Well Steve,
I followed all the steps as they are described in the "Feiyu Tech Firmware Upgrade Procedure" and in the end I even got the "Firmware upgrade success!"
I really can't explain what happened... I did it very carefully and damn... It's a bummer! But I really like and trust the "Little Black Brick" as I call it.
I hope to have back soon. Meanwhile I'm having a lot of fun using the hornet OSD in my FPV plane!
Mar 19, 2012, 07:37 AM
Thread OP
you can us this GCS offline if you browse to the area using the GCS before you lose your internet connection. allow all detail to be loaded into the gcs.

Then you can turn off your computer and when you turn it back on later it will have the map available...

however!! you can't browse to any other area or open google earth after you shut down the GCS or you will lose the info.

I have been bugging FY to make an offline mode too... I will nudge again.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.AER_MJ
Thank-you Aero. That solution won't be appropriate for some of my field sites (>3000 km from my office) so will standby in anticipation of revisions by Feiyu or identify an alternative GCS as you suggested.

MJ
Mar 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
Thread OP
Some asked for a little tutorial on the GCS

Please ensure to click the HD button or you will not see the detail of the GCS. Vimeo reduced the video quality quite a bit.

A link will be added to the first page

FY GCS overview (8 min 55 sec)
Mar 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg
you can us this GCS offline if you browse to the area using the GCS before you lose your internet connection. allow all detail to be loaded into the gcs.

Then you can turn off your computer and when you turn it back on later it will have the map available...
Are u sure about this Steve? I doubt... I did that but the gcs did not.load the map. It stayed blurred. And the status below kept reading 58%

I guess if you do not switch off the gcs, the cache remains. With the system off, cache is lost.

However request Steve to confirm...
Mar 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
Gravity Test in Progress
Quote:
Dude, do you understand the concept of reading the thread to find out?
Mar 19, 2012, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
well I did try it a few times... but that is the strange thing with cache... it seems tough to nail it down.

I will try again tonight.... if it does not work I will definately be pushing FY to fix it.

Steve

Quote:
Are u sure about this Steve? I doubt... I did that but the gcs did not.load the map. It stayed blurred. And the status below kept reading 58%

I guess if you do not switch off the gcs, the cache remains. With the system off, cache is lost.

However request Steve to confirm...
Mar 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
no worries guys... it's all good lets keep it fun

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Steve
Dude, do you understand the concept of reading the thread to find out?
Mar 19, 2012, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk
Just checking to see if you got your FY-31AP and GCS working properly yet
Yep thanks for asking Larry. Managed to do something... The GPS found where I was in Finland and there was a plane symbol moving on the map around the block where I was. Which is strange because I was standing on a balcony.

I did not manage to activate any of the buttons on the program. It is a bit difficult to test outside here because itīs spring and its raining and snow is melting. Luckily I can use internet via my iphone so I will be having the program online all the time.

Quick Reply