Jan 17, 2012, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fy-31ap

OK I will start a 31AP thread.

Some general info

1) 31AP is an IMU autopilot (no thermo piles)
2) it has a functioning GCS in windows 7
3) the AP can remember up to 20 waypoints (with latest firmware)
4) it can also RTL, circle at given location and do "click and fly"
5) it works with xbee pro ttl modems
6) it has NO airspeed sensor however it does increase throttle to keep ground speed PLEASE NOTE!!! there is some work being done to add airspeed control found here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1807224
7) it is VERY easy to hook up and get flyling
8) it is also very cheap and now shipped with an osd

Who am I?
I do not work for FY, however they did send me this autopilot for testing before it's release, we found some minor bugs with the GCS that now seem to be corrected.

The only bug I can see right now is that for some reason my RTL altitude seems quite low... be aware of this and check on your platform.

I have done a quick video on my last flight. Everything about this AP is easy very self explanitory.

I give it a 9 out of 10 for the price (even if I had to pay)

The only reason I don't give it a ten is becuase of my RTL altitude... however all waypoints seem to maintain altitude well.

About me.. I own or have tried the following for fixed wing craft.

1) Ardupilot
2) Atto pilot (never really got the support I wanted and they moved on wanting more money for features I thought were standard)
3) FY-21AP (good but this is waaaaay better)
4) FY-3ZT (good but more complex)
5) FY-Panda system (replacment for 3ZT but have not flown it yet)
5) Eagle Tree (excellent but no waypionts or GCS)

Ok I will reserve some first posts then update as required.

Steve
Last edited by saabguyspg; Jan 14, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2012, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
Tech FAQ's

FY HAS RELEASED A FIRMWARE UPDATE THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! ENSURE YOU UPGRADE TO THE LATEST BEFORE FLYING!!!!

my GCS is not running properly....
make sure you are running the program as an administrator, right click the shortcut and change to run as admin mode

how do I change the mode from navigation to heading hold?
see this post https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1821

what do the tuning parameters do?
see this post for a WORK IN PROGRESS.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1730

where do I buy it?
http://shop.fyetech.com/index.php?cPath=21_40

can I use my own modem?
yes, I have found the xbee pro (900mhz) work well with the system, however I do find that for the first GPS lock of the day I need to unplug the data modem so the gps can get a lock... then after that it finds sats no problem even after rebooting.

does it work with XP?
yes but I had slow connection problems, I recommend a recent laptop running win 7 with 4GB of ram

how do I upgrade firmware?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=429

My firmware version is not reading correctly after upgrading it whats going on?
Check that the baud rate is set correctly in your device manager it should be 19200

how cold can it be to fly?
I have fllown with no issue down to zero deg C. However, I did fly at -10 and I had problems. I think that if I re-initialized the gyro's before that flight then things would have gone better. The manual states working temperatures down to -25 deg

will it display my voltages and current on the GCS and the OSD?
No it does not... I don't know why but I have even confirmed this with FY that you will not see the voltages on the GCS

Where can I find the latest gcs download?
the latest one is found here http://www.feiyu-tech.com/download-e...d=43&nav_num=6 I have it working on windowns 7. Run AND INSTALL this program as an administrator.

There is a 2D GCS now but I need to make a map (gst and jpg file) for it... where do I get the program?
They now have two programs to make the offline 2D maps, one called mapmaker which I have a how to video below for and one called GScreen but I need to make a video for that.

Both will need an older version of Google Earth found here http://www.feiyu-tech.com/download-en.php?id=63

Where do I find other FY downloads like firmware upgrades?
they are found here http://www.feiyu-tech.com/download_list-en.php

Please explain the differnce between gyro init, setting level, and servo neutral
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2038
Last edited by saabguyspg; Jul 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Jan 17, 2012, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
Video's
FY-31AP (2 min 29 sec)

how to connect
FY-31AP connection (1 min 16 sec)

FY GCS overview PLEASE CLICK THE LINK IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER AND WATCH IN HD ON VIMEO OR IT WILL BE BLURRY!!!!
FY GCS overview (8 min 55 sec)

FY 2D GCS overview
2d GCS overview (11 min 47 sec)

How to use mapmaker (please download and view on your computer because the file is not working on Vimeo for some reason)
Mapmaker for FY (3 min 37 sec)
Last edited by saabguyspg; Oct 05, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Jan 17, 2012, 02:52 AM
Suspended Account

FY31AP with hornet

thanks for starting this thread.. i am looking forward to seeing the success stories before i buy one...
Jan 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
I have just received FY31AP and FY HORNE OSD and are now trying to connect everything together ...
Should it be the black and white cable between FY31AP and FY HORNE OSD?
Also, I use Win XP and it is fully updated but regardless, the link between the Laptop and FY31AP incredibly slow. Ie data-update between the devices is incredibly slow. What could be the reason for it?
Jan 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
What is the all up cost for teh FY31AP? Nothing else to buy, all widgets included.....
Jan 17, 2012, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspers1
I have just received FY31AP and FY HORNE OSD and are now trying to connect everything together ...
Should it be the black and white cable between FY31AP and FY HORNE OSD?

yes, I don't have a hornet osd (I have ap117) but it should be the same

Also, I use Win XP and it is fully updated but regardless, the link between the Laptop and FY31AP incredibly slow. Ie data-update between the devices is incredibly slow. What could be the reason for it?
I found my XP was very slow too.. that's why I listed that win 7 was working well... there are three reasons I found with XP to cuase this issue

1) downlink rate was just set too slow (incrase to 5hz)
2) downlink data was backing up... it started out fine but then slowed down (decrease to 3hz and see if this helps)
3) my old XP computer was just too slow (stop running all unecessary procesess)

Let me know what any of these things do..

Steve
Jan 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
go ahead and try
Mr. K... I have a basic Question regarding the power supply to the FY-31A. I am going to be supplying power to the system via ESC BEC. My newb question relates to how the power should be applied. I understand power is supplied via Rx Ch.1. I wonder how I should do this properly. Eventually I wll use an external BEC, which makes sense to me, however I am still waiting for a delinquent package with the new BEC in it... So for now I am just wondering the correct method for powering the unit from the ESC...???
Jan 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
go ahead and try
I just received mine, from Feiyu tech. Here is the current pricing:

FY-3Zt (Panda) $1323
FY-31AP $199
Hornet OSD w/ GPS $138
FY-31AP Trade Edition $289 (includes all of the above)

2.4g Data radio 606 $129 x2pcs
433M Data radio 602 $239 x2pcs
433M Data radio 605 $295 x2pcs

Hope this helps!
Jan 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
go ahead and try
oops, it sounds like the panda is included with the trade edition, obviously it is not...
Jan 17, 2012, 03:32 PM
go ahead and try
What I have so far... Perhaps a properly wired example could be shown here... I hope the photo helps. The connection from the Rx to the FY-31 is obvious. The connection to the GPS I think is correct. The current sensor, shown with the ESC and supply battery make sense... The three control servos are correctly connected I am sure. The OSD receives power via the 1300Ma shown to the left, which also powers the Vid Tx and camera.

The Vid in and out is a little unclear to me... The Vid in and Vid out makes sense, but the corresponding pins do not seem to fit a standard two pin connection. It seems that the connection is made across the two top pins, horizontally, yet the key on the top of the unit suggests that the connection is made vertically, which is where the problem with the two pin connector is.

I hope that someone more familiar with the "correct" way to set this system up will post a response...
Jan 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
go ahead and try
Here's the photo of what I have so far...
Jan 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
video added on how to connect

FY-31AP connection (1 min 16 sec)
Jan 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
please everyone use a separate bec to supply power to system if you just power your receiver it will in turn power the 31AP of course the OSD needs power too... if it's ap117 then you need 12v I am not sure what the honet needs

steve
Jan 17, 2012, 03:57 PM
go ahead and try
Thanks Steve!!!!

Quick Reply