Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Discussion

What happened with the Hover Cover

At one point Mike from X486 showed us a prototype of a "Frankenquad" style case for the HFP https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=hover+cover. I think this would be an excellent addition for the HFP considering the need to block light and wind from the baro sensor. Not to mention it is a slick way to protect your $450 flight contoller board.

Perhaps HoverFly could get in touch with Mike or Frakenquad to get these made and sell them thru the HF website. I know I would certainly be willing to pay $40-50 for one. That would seem to be a reasonable price for protecting a $450-$900 (HFP - HFP+GPS) investment.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by cdi3d
Brushless
Mark - The hover cover was put on hold due to the demand of other products -We do have a design in the works and are looking to find source materials - The one I pictured was printed on a 3D printer and not stable enough for real life application. There are to many cuts around the exterior to make this applicable.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
In the meantime you could try these folks http://www.globalplastics.ca/smalldomes.htm. While not totally opaque, the smoked cover works well in tandem with a piece of foam over the baro sensor. I have flipped a few times on concrete with these so I can vouch for their toughness. The 1/4 inch thick will stand up the best and worth the extra weight. I ordered two 6" dia smoked 1/4" a year ago and they are both still going strong.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by slo_dave
Prying Open My Third Eye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
In the meantime you could try these folks http://www.globalplastics.ca/smalldomes.htm. While not totally opaque, the smoked cover works well in tandem with a piece of foam over the baro sensor. I have flipped a few times on concrete with these so I can vouch for their toughness. The 1/4 inch thick will stand up the best and worth the extra weight. I ordered two 6" dia smoked 1/4" a year ago and they are both still going strong.
Can't tell from the picture...what are you using to secure it?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_dave View Post
Can't tell from the picture...what are you using to secure it?
Velcro primarily and bungi cords as a way to secure the camera mount. Here's a better shot. Earl
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Mike

I know the feeling of not enough time in the day to do it all so I understand putting something on the back burner. Maybe HoverFly could place a big enough order to move it up to the front burner.

Earl

That is exactly what I am currently using. I had a dome from them lying around from an old Emaxx fpv project that fits pretty well. I simply use 4 pieces of velcro to hold it on and it has never come off when I didn't want it to. My dome is clear because it used to house a camera. I was going to paint the inside of it but I still need to see the flashing led on the board. Another nice addition to the HFP would be a remotely mounted led.

Mark