AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
Awesome info. Thank you as well!
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2019, 03:44 PM
Parkzone junkie
Put me down for another vote for the Parkflyer Plastics.
I have it on my original Mig and the nose and wingtips are now bulletproof.

-Brian
Jan 06, 2019, 05:02 PM
On a different note. I owned the original Mig 15 and was excited for this one when it came out. I love the way she flies and now with the SAFE texhnology the new one flies even better in my opinion. However, I do feel like she is still underpowered. If there is low wind then you wont have any problems and she will fly great. But increase the wind 10+ and it's a battle to keep her up. Am I the only one who feels this way ?
Jan 06, 2019, 06:53 PM
I'd rather be flying!
My original doesn't even notice a 7 MPH breeze. Fairly big difference in performance between various packs, though - and the V2's higher Kv motor taxes the UMX packs even more. So...vertical performance, wind penetration, etc., with the V2 will largely depend upon the quality of the pack. Use quality low-IR/lo-sag packs & she'll give you a case of perma-grin. Use "budget", high-IR, saggy packs & you'll be wondering who stole the tiger in your tank. Pack testing:

UMX MiG flight testing - Thunder Power 325 mAh 65c + Hyperion 320 & 240 mAh 25c packs (15 min 45 sec)

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Jan 07, 2019, 07:20 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandiggz
On a different note. I owned the original Mig 15 and was excited for this one when it came out. I love the way she flies and now with the SAFE texhnology the new one flies even better in my opinion. However, I do feel like she is still underpowered. If there is low wind then you wont have any problems and she will fly great. But increase the wind 10+ and it's a battle to keep her up. Am I the only one who feels this way ?
It could just be the nature of this beast and your expectations.......or,

It could be that the rotors on your Migs are not as balanced and smooth as they could be. I reworked them on my UMX Habu and UMX A-10 and was rewarded with more thrust, less noise, and larger loops! It may be a simple matter of clocking the rotor to the motor, or replacing the rotor.

My A-10 even arrived with a poorly balanced motor! Horizon Hobby made it right though with a new in-runner.

I'm pleased with how well these two EDF airplanes now fly in winds above of 10MPH.
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Jan 08, 2019 at 08:24 AM.
Jan 14, 2019, 06:49 PM
JohnVHRC
How to remove the landing gear on the UMX Mig 15, and a 'gear up' flight!
E-Flite UMX MiG-15 EDF Jet LANDING GEAR REMOVAL, AND FLIGHT REVIEW (EFLU6050) (4 min 19 sec)
Latest blog entry: Freewing T33!
Jan 14, 2019, 07:17 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Nice flying! However - I noticed a BIG difference in pitch between your fan & my V1's fan right at launch. Like nearly half an octave! Mine is spinning a LOT faster, despite being lower Kv. Compare the sound of yours & 0:55 to mine @ 0:43 & you'll see what I mean.

I'm thinking that your pack is most likely sagging heavily @ WOT. I bet you'll notice a lot more difference with & without the gear on a high-performance, low-sag pack.

Joel
Jan 15, 2019, 12:29 AM
JohnVHRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Nice flying! However - I noticed a BIG difference in pitch between your fan & my V1's fan right at launch. Like nearly half an octave! Mine is spinning a LOT faster, despite being lower Kv. Compare the sound of yours & 0:55 to mine @ 0:43 & you'll see what I mean.

I'm thinking that your pack is most likely sagging heavily @ WOT. I bet you'll notice a lot more difference with & without the gear on a high-performance, low-sag pack.

Joel
You could be onto something. I'll buy a new one and compare.
Latest blog entry: Freewing T33!
Jan 15, 2019, 01:15 AM
I'd rather be flying!
BIG difference in performance between various brands of UMX packs - especially in higher-current apps.

I highly recommend contacting RCBabbel & getting one of his extremely low-sag, custom-made BabbelBatts - made from premium Hyperion & Thunder Power cells, with high-strand-count wire & silver-solder: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...50&postcount=1

For the MiG, I recommend either his Thunder Power (2S) 325mAh 70C w/UMX connector, or his Hyp (2S) 330mAh 50C max w/UMX connector. If your charger can charge HV Si-Graphene packs, I'd go with his Hyp (2S) 330 HV 60C max w/UMX connector.

In my flight, I was using one of his Thunder Power 325 2s packs.

Joel
Feb 03, 2020, 07:59 PM
They call me Lipo...

UMX MiG-15 over Barstow...

So here's the MiGlet patrolling the mean skies over Barstow recently...
E-flite UMX MiG-15 EDF Jet BNF Basic - BY REQUEST!!! (6 min 28 sec)

Watch out for the MiG "limbo" under the wires about halfway through...this thing's a blast !

Feb 15, 2020, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
BIG difference in performance between various brands of UMX packs - especially in higher-current apps.

I highly recommend contacting RCBabbel & getting one of his extremely low-sag, custom-made BabbelBatts - made from premium Hyperion & Thunder Power cells, with high-strand-count wire & silver-solder: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...50&postcount=1

For the MiG, I recommend either his Thunder Power (2S) 325mAh 70C w/UMX connector, or his Hyp (2S) 330mAh 50C max w/UMX connector. If your charger can charge HV Si-Graphene packs, I'd go with his Hyp (2S) 330 HV 60C max w/UMX connector.

In my flight, I was using one of his Thunder Power 325 2s packs.

Joel

Dang, so thats my problem. I just did my maiden flight with my V2 Mig and man.. it felt so under powered. I'm using the standard Eflite 280 UMX connector batteries that I've been using with my Timber, Cirrus, etc.

So the batteries make that much of a difference? What about switching to a JST connector vs the UMX (PH) connector?

I had to "Build up" speed and it took awhile to do so.. very disappointed but I'll try some new batteries.

Thanks
Ken
Feb 15, 2020, 10:07 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipendicular
Dang, so thats my problem. I just did my maiden flight with my V2 Mig and man.. it felt so under powered. I'm using the standard Eflite 280 UMX connector batteries that I've been using with my Timber, Cirrus, etc.

So the batteries make that much of a difference? What about switching to a JST connector vs the UMX (PH) connector?

I had to "Build up" speed and it took awhile to do so.. very disappointed but I'll try some new batteries.

Thanks
Ken
It's the packs - not the connector. In my flights, I'm using Roger's low-sag BabbelBatts (which he makes from premium low-sag cells, low-resistance wire, and silver-soldered connections) - and they have the factory "UMX" connector.

Joel
Feb 16, 2020, 07:40 PM
I just sent Babbel a PM about some HV batteries. I flew the Mig today in the neighborhood and man its barely flyable once the stock batteries sag (like in less than a min past take off). I had a scary moment, it wouldn't pull up and i lost sight of it behind some houses and I just kept the safe on, full throttle and pulling up. Sure enough after about 2 secs of loss of sight, it finally climbed enough where I could see it again. Whew...

I've had the mig thrust against my pocket scale and you can watch the batteries sag. It starts at around 60 g of thrust and it settles out around 54 g of thrust in a few seconds. And if you keep the throttle on, you can see it sag even lower than 50 g of thrust after like a min.

Is this just how EDFs fly (the mig is my first one)? Where as my Aero Commander can go straight up, the Cirrus maybe a good 75 degs and my timber a good 80 degs of climb, this mig mid flight feels like less than 30 degs. It was all about conserving momentum build a bit of speed and then pull up.. Or once I get new batteries, it will fly with some authority?

Thanks
Ken
Feb 17, 2020, 02:37 PM
I'd rather be flying!
If you're at a lower elevation, it should fly like mine does in the videos below. I was using a really low-sag TP 325 BabbelBatt in both clips.

No - it won't stand on it's tail & climb straight up right after takeoff like high-performance prop-jobs can easily do (EDFs typically have a lot lower thrust-to-weight than hotrod prop-jobs such as the UMX Aero Commander & Timber), but it should do the maneuvers you see me doing in the clips below. And yes, those big loops do require some energy-management, even with top-notch, low-sag packs.

Big air flying w/gear on:

E-flite UMX MiG 15 - big-air flying & aerobatics (5 min 40 sec)

Flying w/o gear, doing big loops, etc:

UMX MiG 15 sans gear - performance demo (5 min 18 sec)

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 17, 2020 at 02:45 PM.
Feb 29, 2020, 10:31 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipendicular

Thanks
Ken
Mine flies just fine on the E-flite 2s 280 mAh batteries...:
E-flite UMX MiG-15 EDF - GRASS FIELD OPS! (6 min 57 sec)

E-flite UMX MiG-15 EDF - Morning Sortie over Newberry Springs! (6 min 43 sec)

Quick Reply