This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 23, 2012, 10:51 PM

1964 Model Aviation Magazine

Here's one for you. The 1964 Model Avation Magazine.

There's an artical and pictures of the Sky Kings 1964 California Championships.

The 1964 Coffee Air-foilers, Tullahoma,Tenn.

84" Flying Wing Experiment and plans.

1964 F.A.I. Free Flight Team Program.

1964 Nationals Entry Blank. Check out the entry fee $4.00

But the best part,at least for me is the front cover of the 1964 Model Avation Magazine. Because the Trophy girl on the cover is my Wife Kathie.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
That video makes me feel really old! At the same time, the New Years Day postal contest brings us to the present, 2 Grand Esprits going for the max flight and the people with the moldies behind us gasping at seeing our wings bend. I feel lucky to have experienced the way back when yet able to experience the astonishing performance of a modern carbon ship. (And an 8.4 meter ASH-31)
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Jan 23, 2012, 11:03 PM
Balsa Breaks Better
Thread OP

Dick Beltz Pokey 808

Anybody have one of these? Later version had a glass fuselage. I wouldn't mind finding one of them.

Joe
Jan 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
some pics from suds city soaring 1978 & 1979
Jan 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
SoarNut
Thanks Joe, I was at the 1970 Nats. Of course I was 17 and flying free flight at the time. It was a blast. I wish I would have seen the RC Soaring event. Thanks for the post.
Jan 24, 2012, 05:28 PM

Pokey 808 remembered

After reading about the Pokey 808 cleaning up in contests out East, I ordered one and became the proud owner of a Pokey 808B ("B" meant all balsa and was relatively inexpensive). Interestingly enough, the kit maker tried to hold down expenses by making his own strip stock, apparently free hand. After I replaced all of the strip stock and built the plane, it flew well but the spars were quite weak and would the wings would flex a lot on histart launches. It met its demise when in strong lift a section of the wing parted company. If I remember right, I think I gave the plans to someone at Red Hen Sod Farm several years ago. Properly beefed up, the Pokey 808 would be an excellent contender in today's NOS events. My Pokey's rudder now graces my workshop wall.
Jan 24, 2012, 07:12 PM
Balsa Breaks Better
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck
If I remember right, I think I gave the plans to someone at Red Hen Sod Farm several years ago. Properly beefed up, the Pokey 808 would be an excellent contender in today's NOS events. My Pokey's rudder now graces my workshop wall.
Yes you did, still have them. I had a line on a glass fuse but he stopped responding.
One of these days. . . .

Joe
Jan 24, 2012, 09:58 PM
Balsa Breaks Better
Thread OP

Styrofoam and Flying wings 1965

Styrofoam and Flying wings 1965, some think it is a recent trend.

Joe
Jan 25, 2012, 07:12 AM
Leadchucker,

From AMA website:
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/SteeleRobertA.pdf

I wrote this about Bob Steele and tried to find the file on the AMA web with no success. Have any suggestions ?

Joe, thread is a good idea.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Jan 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
Bob Steele rescued LSF after Dan Pruss died. I talked with him about his rescue of LSF at the 1996 Nats. I keep a log of all my modeling activities and this is what I recorded in my log that night. We talked about a lot of other things but this is all I recorded at the time.

Discussed soaring history with Bob Steele. He appreciated my history of soaring as published on RCSE. He has records of LSF and was instrumental in resurrecting LSF back on 1988 period. He used the last proceeds of the LSF to buy a computer for LSF records. Dan's daughter had been keeping them on a VAX at her husbands business. She got bogged down with 3 kids and didn't pick up mail for up to two weeks at a time. I ask Bob to write and publish a history of the LSF.
Jan 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Man, that pic of that Magnum 12 sure brought back memories... good and bad... Mine flew very well, but got shot down from about 1200' by a power flyer who shouldn't have been at TCJC in Ft. Worth...
Jan 25, 2012, 05:57 PM
May the Wind Always be Good

Wooo Hooo

Hawk46 your post with pic from Suds City sure both some old good time back...The plane with 15464 on the wing is a Durex V "The Minnesota Floata" by Bob Hansing from Minneapolis...He is the one that got me into soaring ...Thanks for shareing some of this old history with us .....May the Wind Always be Good... Mr. Kite
Last edited by Mr. Kite; Jan 25, 2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Add photo
Jan 26, 2012, 05:41 AM
Balsa Breaks Better
Thread OP

Olympic 99

Did you know that there are plans for 118" version? A V TAIL version of the 118"?

Joe
Jan 26, 2012, 06:46 PM
Balsa Breaks Better
Thread OP

Great Race VII and Altitude Record

I wish I had known Dan. Thankful I know several of those named in this article.

Joe
Last edited by Thermaler; May 19, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Jan 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes
Leadchucker,

From AMA website:
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/SteeleRobertA.pdf

I wrote this about Bob Steele and tried to find the file on the AMA web with no success. Have any suggestions ?

Joe, thread is a good idea.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray,
Oh yea, look at that. it isn't there.....hmmmmmmmm.
Contact AMA maybe?? Dunno, could be any number of things.
Good uick on finding what happened.

Warren

Quick Reply