This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 17, 2013, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes
Woodbender,

Great post on the Col. Thacker. I was one of the lucky Mid Westerners that shared the SOAR NATS field with him. He is a most amazing person, this was your lucky day, thanks for sharing.

Ray
WWW.SKYBENCH.COM
I also met Col Thacker at the SOAR Nats and one of the AMA Nats. The last time I met him, I had just read that he was a copilot on one of the B17s that arrrived on Dec 7 1941 in the middle of the attack. He said that he had been scheduled to be the copilot but the schuled pilot couldn't make it so he became the pilot.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2013, 06:37 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdragon
Any video's of the gorilla in action?

I bet it was scary to be near both the gorilla or the safety winch.

NO, it was not scary at all. The winches of today are worse. The gorilla was designed with a lot more safety involved, and was ruled illegal mainly because our planes could take the loads of the time, but others (I. e. the competitors) could not. Today's TD ships could take the loads.

The winch you had to worry about was the Canadian FMF winch. It used clothesline rope on the bottom and the heaviest Fishing lines on top.

Chris
Mar 18, 2013, 09:20 PM
glider pilot in training
ok, but i still wouldn't want to be within 50 foot of it if it ever had a line break.
Mar 18, 2013, 11:37 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdragon
ok, but i still wouldn't want to be within 50 foot of it if it ever had a line break.
The motors of the day did not have the real-balls bearing etc that permit the faster speeds. The winch that was the next generation from the gorilla was the "flywheel" winch. That one was the monster. I think it would have ripped the wings off of even today's gliders.

But the winches of today are more powerful than either.

Chris
Mar 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
I built the chassis and other parts for the FMF winch, and participated on the Canadian Team. We had a number of broken lines during the development of the winch and the model, but no one was ever injured that I recall. The line was designed for highest efficiency: large line at the start to take the main load and build up drum diameter, a second, smaller line, then a very narrow line to take the speeds at the top of the launch (~200mph on radar). We had many, many problems, winch drums that could not stand the pressure, many motors used before the ol' reliable 6v Ford proved itself (double springs on the brushes helped), a dozen different turnarounds were used, and the winch's
reputation is mostly bad. As usual, it was the users where the problems abounded; I launched both my GL and Oly11 off that winch with no problems.

If anyone cares to check, one finds that the late Brian McKay place well in the event, simply by following the launch profile consistently. Another flier went into "competition overload", and lost track of what he was doing. The third never did learn how to use either the model or the winch (once towing a model right through the turnaround). One guy can't carry a whole team on his back, and Brian was new to competition. Nevertheless, we did our best, and lost. Regardless of the chirping about how dangerous the setup was, we broke no rules, and injured no one.

We did change the rulebook, however. Really changed it.
Mar 19, 2013, 07:56 PM
are there any pictures of the Canadian winch ?
Mar 19, 2013, 08:01 PM
Loopie/Zoomie ≠ Soaring
Last edited by superskeg; Oct 11, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Mar 20, 2013, 10:31 AM
Retirement is good
Very cool scatter shield... 3/4" plywood?
Mar 20, 2013, 11:05 AM
Retirement is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
As usual, it was the users where the problems abounded; I launched both my GL and Oly11 off that winch with no problems.
... but not at ~200 mph I trust... or lots of balsa dust. Lots of tippy-tap I presume... Yep, those winches required lots of user discretion.
Mar 20, 2013, 11:06 PM
ANY winch requires discretion, a point missed by many flyers! We built a number of winches, including a matched set of 4 for an annual contest we ran. As usual, there was a great deal of comment (which is the strongest?, waaah, that winch broke my wings!, you know the types) but they worked consistently (and evenly) throughout the 2-day contest. The ply was added after a line sawed the terminals off a brand-new DieHard (long story).

By the way, we built the model so that it would withstand anything the winch could put out, and the winch was built to stress the model to the max, a real chicken and egg approach. We decided that 24v was our upper limit and worked to that spec. One of the lads calculated that the beast was putting out about 25hp electric, ie, max torque at zero rpm...

The flight profile followed the profile of a pitched baseball, ie, the ball is gone before the pitcher ever leaves the rubber for a 90mph pitch from a single point. It worked.
Mar 21, 2013, 12:06 AM
Retirement is good
Great story, hard development... I know the gig. We I did the Gorilla it took a while to bring the airframes up to strength so launches were safe and consistent.

All fun stuff...
Mar 21, 2013, 03:53 AM
Balsa breaks better
Thread OP

Chuck Anderson

Chuck Anderson, When was the Tern published in RCM with text by Don Dewey?
The article is for sale on eBay and I would rather have the entire magazine than just the pages.

Joe
Mar 26, 2013, 04:10 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡

August 1972 - Where I got my inspiration

Greetings all;
Well I saw a number of articles written by Gene Fuller which reminded me of my first "high performance" glider. I read Gene's article back in August, 1972 and I knew I just had to have the American Eagle by J & J Industries. Here is the article and some pictures.

Kurt
Mar 26, 2013, 05:28 PM
Balsa breaks better
Thread OP

Model Builder February/March 1973

ThankYou Kurt! I remember looking at the ads and dreaming . . . .

I am back to scanning because the building is on hold.

Joe
Mar 26, 2013, 07:32 PM
Fyi

Quick Reply