This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 14, 2018, 03:14 PM
I'm All Thumbs
Maybe a 'Secret Weapon' fuse adapted to Mini Racer wings ?
J
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2018, 12:52 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryK
What I wanna know is, Who's got a picture of a Rubber Duckey, who's got my Duck?

I want my Ducky!

JDK
Shilling says he's still got his original in his garage.

Stan
Oct 15, 2018, 12:55 PM
"its not a hobby its obsession
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne
Maybe a 'Secret Weapon' fuse adapted to Mini Racer wings ?
J
Fuzz does look very close apart from the mid tail
I haven't had chance to do any work on her yet

I need to get some new servos and convert to 2.4
Lookin fwd to flying it ..
Oct 16, 2018, 11:36 AM
Shilling

take a picture of your Ducky. I wan my Ducky!

JDK
Oct 17, 2018, 11:23 AM
Well here I go again coming back from the GONE from RC Soaring...hahahaaa.

Ron Wittman and I were talking about his other beautiful RC sail plane, the Easy Riser which he kitted. The first time I met Ron was on Lapaz Hill and he was flying this very plane in the pictures. I loved it and ended up getting an early kit... It was a wow experience a fast, agile slope and soaring craft. It would fly inverted with just a bit of push, roll easy, snap roll and was about the fastest sloper around during it's time. 74-75. Along with that it was a very SEXY craft!
This one according to Ron was 28 oz and had a wing span of 86".

I am not sure how many kits Ron produced of this kit but there was some changes to the original design. Ron stated that the kit cutter, don't recall his name told Ron that he would not do the kit unless Ron did a certain design change... That change was to do a constant cord of the inner panel. In the pictures you can see that this Easy Riser does have inner panel taper....

Enjoy the pictures! Maybe Ron will chime in and tell more...
Last edited by Shaker11; Oct 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Add comments
Oct 17, 2018, 01:21 PM
Shaker
Really a beautiful model. Ron has a knack for getting the astetics right. Easy Riser was kitted by Competition Models run by master Modeler Sal Taibi. Salís son Mike may have been helping but at this time Sal was still running the show cutting wood and running the die cutting machine. As a child I witnessed Sal running this machine. Not for the absent minded as each sheet was ejected by hand and an uncut blank placed as the clam shell action squeezed the razor edged die into the virgin sheet. I have a good sense of my limitations, which is probably why I still have all my fingers. L
Oct 19, 2018, 10:55 AM
I sure wish a scanned copy of those plans would magically appear here. I'd build it in a heart beat.
Oct 19, 2018, 08:22 PM
RON .W.

easy riser

Keith, really

good grief, go get a ladder, get the kit down, spread out the plans, get up on the ladder, take a picture!! Next you might want a full size set of plans copied and maybe an extra one sized down to two meter. Great idea ! I might build one myself. I took the original EASY RISER out and did some hand glides. WOW ! After 44 YEARS it is awesome !
Oct 21, 2018, 11:47 PM

John Donelson R.I.P.

Wanted to let everyone know that John Donelson passed away last week after being stricken with cancer several years ago. John was a big part of the early history of RC Soaring in Southern California where he was an early Harbor Soaring Society member and officer, National Soaring Championship winner (with a Windward), LSF Contest Director, and a friend and encouraging gentleman who treated me and all others he met, as a soaring peer. I have strong wonderful memories of John when I was just 17 or 18 years old flying at Estancia High School in Costa Mesa, Southern California. I have shared a few memories and photos that included John in them, in earlier posts. John frequented all the major contests on the West coast in the early to mid-seventies, and traveled to several of the early SOAR Nats. I am sure most pilots in Southern California have good memories of flying with John at the major contests and club events.

John rose to a very high level at Boeing Aircraft and was a long time resident of Huntington Beach. In later years, John enjoyed building and flying stick and tissue rubber powered free flight aircraft, and I was fortunate to see John win the compressed air free flight class at a Society of Antique Modelers (SAM) Championships near Boulder City, Nevada in 2013. It was a pleasure to know John and share the wonderful sport of RC Soaring back in those golden times.

Jim Wiseman
Oct 21, 2018, 11:52 PM

Easy Riser plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kindrick
I sure wish a scanned copy of those plans would magically appear here. I'd build it in a heart beat.
Hey Keith, Ron's Easy Riser plans are available from AMA plans service (under the John Pond plans) for $15. Or you can borrow the original (and brittle) plans from a kit I have. But after you build it, you have to cover it with the transparent covering like the "glass plane" you wrote about!
Oct 22, 2018, 10:47 AM
Thank you for the update Jim. John was a gentlemen and a wonderful proponent of RC Soaring. I met him early at the Harbor Soaring Society Slope site. He was usually chatting with Bob Hahn and other engineers that frequented that group. He later became close with Lee Renaud and became one of Leeís trusted prototype builders. Really depressing the rate at which the Hobby is losing numbers. LJ
Oct 22, 2018, 06:07 PM
RON .W.

EASY RISER flies once more

Hello guys, here's a couple of pics of the Easy Riser landing on its' first flight in 44 years. We took it to the local sod farm and put it up on a high start and it flew just like it did the first time. This model is still all original including the covering. Keith, if you do build an Easy Riser I will gladly send you enough of the original Crystal Cover material to cover the model. It's nice to hear someone still remembers this glider. Now, if I can get my SHAKER back soon so I can get some flight pics and videos of both these gliders! All of us here would love to see Larry again and have some fun. I was not aware that plans for some of my planes were available from AMA. I do now! You will get plans one way or another. HMM, no excuse!!

Ron W.
Oct 22, 2018, 10:23 PM

soaring history

At last, a picture of a "Rubber Ducky". It may not look like much but is was revolutionary for its time. Low camber airfoil, F/g or ASA vacumed formed fuse and straight dihedral. This thing was more fun to fly than anything. AT about 10 oz sq ft they thermaled just fine. Great on the slope.

Thanks Shilling

JDK
Oct 23, 2018, 01:26 AM
Old Buzzard
Damn, how I miss those sprinkler heads at the turf farm!

Seriously, nice pix of the ER. Thanks, Ron! Miss flying with you and Terry!

Waid
Oct 23, 2018, 09:43 AM
That sounds totally cool - another glass airplane for me. Jim we need to get those plans copied :-)

Quick Reply