Mar 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Bob, from now on, park your car parallel to the kerb near those lights. Stand next to the side of your car facing the car park and only fly in front of you from now on - and stay over the car park at all times!
Did you count how many times you lined up a light post in that video?...

No more thrill seeking LightPost fly-by's for you....
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2012, 11:29 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Bob, from now on, park your car parallel to the kerb near those lights. Stand next to the side of your car facing the car park and only fly in front of you from now on - and stay over the car park at all times!
Did you count how many times you lined up a light post in that video?...

No more thrill seeking LightPost fly-by's for you....
I can tell that you have no idea how many planes and heli's have gone into that woods over there on the other side of the car park.. Trust me it's a lot better to play chicken with the light posts that go into that mess of woods that you can't even walk through..

I normally park as you see it and sit on the tail gate when I fly so I'm over the parking lot most of the time.. The Sabre takes a little more room and is faster so I have to stand so I can twist and turn to keep it in sight.. I tend to like flying close and getting nice shots as I bank it over into a sweeping turn.. Just like I was doing there.. And you know how close it always seems to get to those lamps taking off.. I do try and park right in front of the lamp I hit so I know easier where they are at but a dog walker was parked in that spot when I got there.. So I had to move down a bit.. It's all part of the fun to me with these little guys,, which is why I enjoy them so much more than the big ones now.. The bigger they are the more of a pain they are..

But back to the Sabre I have been sitting here with a bottle of CA just playing around.. And if it wasn't for the pieces that I didn't find it would be back together already.. I'm having to fill in the missing spots with epoxy and micro balloons..

She looks like she is going to fly again...
Mar 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
And if it wasn't for the pieces that I didn't find it would be back together already.. I'm having to fill in the missing spots with epoxy and micro balloons..

She looks like she is going to fly again...
And HE LIVES!!!...A little Frankenstein'ed up but what the hell......You got it back together!!!......Go out and FLY!!!......

Kevin
Mar 23, 2012, 11:42 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
And HE LIVES!!!...A little Frankenstein'ed up but what the hell......You got it back together!!!......Go out and FLY!!!......

Kevin
It's a dark and rainy night, as mad Bob brings the Sabre back to life, piece by little piece using the magic glue...
Mar 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Check if they balance out good or not.. The 240 Hyperions that I made up wouldn't.
Never had a problem with Hyperions before since they were always very close together. But since you're making your own pack, mesure the voltage of every cell before you put them together and match them as good as you can. So if you make three packs out of 6 cells, you may end-up soldering 3 packs that are:
3.83-3.84, 3.75-3.77, 3.80-3.80 instead of randomly getting packs that could be as bad as 3.77-3.84, 3.83-3.80, 3.75-3.80
Mar 24, 2012, 09:43 AM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Never had a problem with Hyperions before since they were always very close together. But since you're making your own pack, mesure the voltage of every cell before you put them together and match them as good as you can. So if you make three packs out of 6 cells, you may end-up soldering 3 packs that are:
3.83-3.84, 3.75-3.77, 3.80-3.80 instead of randomly getting packs that could be as bad as 3.77-3.84, 3.83-3.80, 3.75-3.80
I know and do do this,, And this used to work fine. All of them started as 8.3V. Now I have to actually charge up the cells and watch how they peak out to try and match them.. Easier to just use the NanoTech's as they seem to all be closer..
Mar 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
EDF all the way!
Got five flights on mine. After 2 1/2 minutes of flight I put back 145 ma in my battery. It took 7 pennies to get the CG correct. I damaged the nose when I tried to lift of early. Going to build a new one and use two servos for elevator. I do not like the flex this set up has. It is blast to fly. My RTF weight is now about 4 oz. Sorry no video this time.
Bob
Mar 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
CV-15 VB-16
Hey Nitro,

My little Turnigy 1015 motor showed up yesterday. Today the Hyperflow fans arrived. So, I was gonna the install Turnigy in the GWS fan that was modded and put the Ammo in one of the Hyperflow fans.

When I attempted to mount the Turnigy motor, the M1.6 screws I bought, that someone on HKs discussion page advised would fit, do not and are slightly big.

I did a bit more research and see someone else suggests the screw size is M1.4. Since I know that you know for sure the size that will fit, can you tell me if it is M1.4?

g
Mar 24, 2012, 05:44 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Yes, they need to be M1.4 screws.
Mar 24, 2012, 07:31 PM
CV-15 VB-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Yes, they need to be M1.4 screws.
Thanks. Wish I'd 'a asked you first.
Mar 25, 2012, 07:21 PM

Flight results

Yesterday I was able to truly evaluate this model as the winds finally dropped to 5-7 mph. The first flight was a ground takeoff. You will need about 40-50 feet to get airborne. Stable flight, very fun. My friends couldn't get over how well a tiny little jet could fly. I have 7grams of weight in the nose with the stock battery. With this extra weight it's spot on for balance so beware, this jet is tail heavy out of the box.

The second flight was a hand launch. I have not had much success with hand launches in the past but this plane takes to the air quickly and is forgiving.

Be sure to dial in about 30% exponential on elevator and aileron. Landings were not bad but like most warbirds, you have to burn it in. It tends to lose lift at low speed. Cycle your batteries a couple of times to increase flight time. Other than that, it's a great flying edf.
Mar 25, 2012, 07:39 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Stretch View Post
Yesterday I was able to truly evaluate this model as the winds finally dropped to 5-7 mph. The first flight was a ground takeoff. You will need about 40-50 feet to get airborne. Stable flight, very fun. My friends couldn't get over how well a tiny little jet could fly. I have 7grams of weight in the nose with the stock battery. With this extra weight it's spot on for balance so beware, this jet is tail heavy out of the box.

The second flight was a hand launch. I have not had much success with hand launches in the past but this plane takes to the air quickly and is forgiving.

Be sure to dial in about 30% exponential on elevator and aileron. Landings were not bad but like most warbirds, you have to burn it in. It tends to lose lift at low speed. Cycle your batteries a couple of times to increase flight time. Other than that, it's a great flying edf.

You might wish to try the balance tabs on the elevator to increase their area so you have more ability to fare on landing. Just takes a minute to do them and a sharp knife/sissors and some foam safe CA...

That was my plan anyways but if you remember I didn't have to land my last and only flight with them.. But they where giving me much better control in the flight. And I'll be installing them on the #2 Sabre..
Mar 25, 2012, 08:34 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
flew sabre in 25+ kph winds today with gusts with new hyp 240 without dime and was getting an easy 3 minutes of flight. First flight went great, slow to penetrate wind but handled it very well.

I can stall this plane easily (if I chose to) but its very easy to recover.

In fact, flying into the wind I performed 5 loops, one after the other without loosing much altitude, if any, and it didn't stall. I wish I had it on film.

So, second flight I tried adding a dime, and thus didn't need any down trim, BUT, after about 1 minute into recorded flight, the canopy came off and the lipo went dangling and down came the plane unharmed.

I was just about to perform some continuous loop de loops and post vid.

Winds picked up even more and we packed it in.

Next time, i'll record the flight and said maneuvers and post
Mar 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
CV-15 VB-16
Quote:
You might wish to try the balance tabs on the elevator to increase their area so you have more ability to fare on landing. Just takes a minute to do them and a sharp knife/sissors and some foam safe CA...

That was my plan anyways but if you remember I didn't have to land my last and only flight with them.. But they where giving me much better control in the flight. And I'll be installing them on the #2 Sabre..
Are you using the balance tabs to trim the nose up or down?

g
Mar 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Are you using the balance tabs to trim the nose up or down?

g

I'm not talking trim tabs,, And I'm not sure of the correct word to use for what I did on the elevator. But I think it's call counter-balanced aerodynamically. But think of a J-3 Cub's rudder and how the top moves with the rudder and isn't part of the vertical fin. I did this on my home-built also to make the rudder easier to control and have more rudder area.

You can also see them on my F-86 in that last flight movie I posted at the beginning of it.. I did it as with the NanoTech 300 Batteries the plane flies nice but I didn't have the elevator to flare it when landing or even pulling out of a dive..
Last edited by livonia bob; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply