Jan 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
Thread OP
New Product

Sabre Jet F86 30mm EDF by Great Planes..TX-Ready (TX-R)..or RTF Version 15'' WS

This looks interesting..http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1771.html

This looks like a must have! I think you may be able to use a DX-6 with a module thats available. I hope so because I have 2 DX-6 TX and would like to get some more use of them.

This looks like a game changer plane to me.

11,500kV brushless inrunner motor
30 mm HyperFlow™ ducted fan unit
6A brushless ESC
4-channel 2.4GHz SLT™ micro receiver
(3) digital ultra-micro servos
7.4V LiPo flight battery
Balancing DC LiPo battery charger

The F-86 Sabre arrives fully assembled and ready for flight. A battery and charger are included — and everything else is installed.

GPMA1771
Wingspan: 15 in (381 mm)
Wing Area: 53.1 in² (3.4 dm²)
Weight: 2.35 oz (67 g)
Wing Loading: 6.4 oz/ft² (20 g/dm²)
Length: 14.4 in (366 mm)
Requires: AnyLink and compatible 4-channel transmitter or Tactic™ 2.4GHz radio with SLT™

All Tx-R models include:
Powerful motor and ESC
2.4GHz receiver with SLT
Servos
LiPo flight battery and charger

This plane will also be available as a RTF!

Click VIDEO in this link...
http://www.tx-ready.com/txr-airplanes.html#sabreanchor
Last edited by modfly; Jan 16, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Always Indecisive
whoa. when is it supposed to be available?
Jan 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
That looks like a fun plane...
Jan 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68
whoa. when is it supposed to be available?
Looks like this will be available in March. Gives me some time to come up with some money as I will defiantly be getting one of these.

Only mod that I will do is steering nose wheel. I did it to the original UM Cessna and will do the same to this as well.

Here is the UM Cessna steering nose wheel mod video from a few years back
steering mod cessna (0 min 24 sec)

I still have the Cessna and have never had a problem with it despite numerous flights and ROG action. Here is a video of it in the Hanger under going taxi tests
cessna floor test (0 min 24 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Jan 13, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Jan 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Weekend Hacker
i wonder if the beast batt's will be enough for this? i know rc-connectors.com have a adaptor so it could be on the cards. looks like a nice lil plane, vids dont show to much though.
Jan 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
Always Indecisive
modfly- nice modification to that cessna! in march you say? hmm...thats the month of my birthday....too bad i don't have enough experience for this plane yet though.
Jan 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68
modfly- nice modification to that cessna! in march you say? hmm...thats the month of my birthday....too bad i don't have enough experience for this plane yet though.
I would think it would be along the lines of difficulty like the UM Mustang or Sukhoi. It does have Rudder, Ailerons, elevator, throttle so 4 channel experience is a must. UM 4 channel experience would be a big + as well. There really is no Hobby Grade UM EDF planes that I know of so this will be the first! Its a break through model and is the most exciting 4 ch UM plane to come out yet IMO.

Of course I really like EDF planes.. check this video of a Starmax FA\18 EDF plane that I fly at the mall...
StarMax F/A-18 (4 min 27 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Jan 13, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Jan 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
Weekend Hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
There really is no Hobby Grade UM EDF planes that I know of so this will be the first! Its a break through model and is the most exciting 4 ch UM plane to come out yet IMO.
what about the 35mm edf's from hobbyking? Are they not hobby grade?
Jan 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_star
what about the 35mm edf's from hobbyking? Are they not hobby grade?
Well, they are not 30mm and they are not BNF or TX ready. They would be HG (after you install all the HG components!) I think they made a mistake when they made them from EPO foam which is heavy and has (bumpy texture or big bead texture). I don't think EPO foam and UM scale planes are a good combination. The HK planes look interesting but are basically ARF and you must supply the rx, lipo, balance charger, assembly, setup time which includes CG balancing, lipo, RX mount and placement etc! Also the 2 HK 35mm planes I saw are twins and I don't like twin EDF for a couple of reasons..battery life and weight being the major problem then couple that with heavy EPO foam...

If the HK planes came BNF or TX-R and had a little smaller Fan then yea they would be in the same class but I can't help but think there is a reason they are at HK. Generally, HK planes are not high end or high Q planes but are a cheaper alternative in most cases but like I said the HK planes are 35mm and that is just not the same. A few years ago there were few members in the 30mm EDF club..35mm is not allowed in that club and is a different category as far as I can tell.

In the FA\18 Video I posted, The plane has a single EDF fan and motor even though the real plane has twin engines. Trust me when I say you do not want a twin EDF plane and especially a UM twin EDF! They require a very high Q lipo with a high "C" rating. The added weight of the extra engine and ESC, larger lipo, wiring offsets any real power gain in most cases. When it comes to EDF, even a few gram can affect performance and flight time. EPO foam in a EDF? Forget about it!

Looks to me like Electrifly considererd all these factors with the F85 Sabre. Should be a decent performer. And its all setup and ready to go with matched componats and a radio system that can work with most any 2.4ghz TX out there including the DX-6!

TX-R
Spektrum® DX6/6i, Dx7...These are some of the TX that are compatible with the Sabre rx.( a plug in module is required) Plugs into the trainer port of most TX. List price is around $25 for the module.
Last edited by modfly; Jan 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Jan 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
Always Indecisive
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
I would think it would be along the lines of difficulty like the UM Mustang or Sukhoi. It does have Rudder, Ailerons, elevator, throttle so 4 channel experience is a must. UM 4 channel experience would be a big + as well. There really is no Hobby Grade UM EDF planes that I know of so this will be the first! Its a break through model and is the most exciting 4 ch UM plane to come out yet IMO.

Of course I really like EDF planes.. check this video of a Starmax FA\18 EDF plane that I fly at the mall...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFr2D...VR6au43SIog3-v
cool flying! my only 4 channel experience so far is the t-28 so im going to hold off for a little.
Jan 13, 2012, 09:14 PM

Looking forward to this one.
Jan 13, 2012, 09:15 PM
That Sabre jet by Great Planes is very cool, when do get to hear the price and the price for the Anylink??
Jan 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
Just some guy
Anylink is free with the purchase of the model. List price is $24.95
Jan 13, 2012, 09:48 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
Now that is one neat little bird! and a true EDF!!! Wow. I especially like this gizmo, “anylink”? Now I can fly my DR 1 and my new F86 with my full size Transmitter! Now were talking.

Jim
Jan 14, 2012, 02:16 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
This thing looks great! I love the Tx-R idea too, I'll be watching this one.

Quick Reply