Micro UFO Build Thread - RC Groups
Jan 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Build Log

Micro UFO Build Thread

Once again I'm working on two models at once. I didn't get much done tonight on this UFO because I was tryiing to finish up fixing my micro Bridi RCM Trainer 20 so I could fly it tomorrow. That didn't quite work out

Anyway, for when I start on a build, I always begin with several sets of plans and a set of scissors. I cut up one set which will be used for building on, and for cutting out rib and former patterns. This model won't be build quite per the plans. In order to save weight in the tail, the fuselage sides will be built from sticks just like we did on those rubber models growing up. This will be fun - I haven't built an all-sticks fuselage in a long time.

While the sides are drying, I'll be cutting out wing ribs and formers.

The plans were scaled from a PDF David sent me such that the wings are almost exactly 100 sq in. My target will be 100g AUW but that will be tough - my drop dead weight is 115g. Power will be a Park 180 spinning a Gee Bee prop for starters.

BTW, this one isn't being built for me.
Last edited by AndyKunz; Jan 12, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Replace placeholder text with the real thing.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
BTW, I need photos of the original UFO if anybody has the original issue of RCM (Sept 1977 I believe).

Thanks.

Andy
Jan 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
Paul Pappas,.....AMA....L42520
Here you go Andy

Name: UFO 1.jpg
Views: 185
Size: 248.0 KB
Description: Name: UFO 2.jpg
Views: 223
Size: 132.3 KB
Description:

UFO-Article-Text-Only
Jan 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
THANKS!

What does the bottom look like?

Andy
Jan 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
Andy: I would love a copy of those plans if you wouldnt mind posting the PDF in your thread or emailing them to me. I am working on my micro tipo build but I would like to try and do the same thing with this plane as well. Especially since the micro tipo build has given me alot of good experience with how I should change things to make it lighter. If you dont want to post the PDF but wouldnt mind sending the plans, my email is bpink43@hotmail.com Thanks!
Jan 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
Of the plane, I mean!
Jan 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpink43
Andy: I would love a copy of those plans if you wouldnt mind posting the PDF in your thread or emailing them to me. I am working on my micro tipo build but I would like to try and do the same thing with this plane as well. Especially since the micro tipo build has given me alot of good experience with how I should change things to make it lighter. If you dont want to post the PDF but wouldnt mind sending the plans, my email is bpink43@hotmail.com Thanks!
David e-mailed the plans to me. I printed them at 38% of the original (60) size. They fit nicely on D paper that way (I have an E plotter at home).

Andy
Jan 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
Flat stab or airfoiled?
Jan 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
Paul Pappas,.....AMA....L42520
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
THANKS!

What does the bottom look like?

Andy
Here is another pic, just basically solid red, and white under the nose area.

Name: UFO 3.jpg
Views: 184
Size: 171.6 KB
Description: UFO 3
Jan 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
Doxilla: I think I would prefer the airfoiled plans, if that question was directed towards me. Thanks

Blake
Jan 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Flat stab or airfoiled?
Airfoiled. This is going to be a fun build.

Airfoiled fin, too.

Andy
Jan 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
Didnt know if Doxilla was asking me that as he may of had two different plans or asking you. Definately got to go airfoiled, it just makes it look like it was meant to.
Jan 13, 2012, 09:16 PM
The fuselage will have solid sides from the TE of the wing forward. Yes, I cut up a second set of plans to do this (I always print 3 or 4 so this isn't a problem). This piece is shown slightly oversize except the top edge. After #77'ing it to 1/32" balsa and cutting out, I made a doubler for the saddle from the scrap that was removed.

While that glue was drying I started putting down the sticks for the sides. Normally I would use 1/8" square balsa, but a friend offered 3/32" square spruce. That will give a much stronger tail, I think. There will be some sheet inserted in the stab root later on.

To strengthen the joints, later on I'll be adding a gusset on each joint.

I haven't done a stick fuselage in a long time. This is going to be fun!
Jan 14, 2012, 05:48 PM
I built the second side, using Saran wrap to keep the sides separated. After that dried, I sanded the sides lightly to remove any glue drops, then added gussets.

The gussets were cut from some hard 1/32" scraps using a 5/16" brass tube. You can see the tool off to the right in the attached photo.
Jan 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
Love the RCM photos. Looks like Scenic's Trimotor in Las Vegas with the model/showgirl. Showgirls are great, aren't they?
The shot of the model on the ground looks like 70's Mile Square with the eucalyptus wind row.
Chris...