Thread Tools
Jan 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
Registered User
brianshell's Avatar
Discussion

Pretty impressed with my Flame Wheel 450 / DJI Naza


So I finally got my Flame Wheel 450 flying again after the great crash of 2012 (which shattered all 4 arms of the frame). I gotta say, I really am impressed with the way this thing flies, especially for the power it has.

Today, I flew around with a GoPro, a 1.2ghz transmitter, and a 6000mAh 3S battery (it's HUGE). The FlameWheel handled it like it was nothing.

I really thought that massive battery would cause big problems.

Loving this setup.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
Registered User
What is the flight time?
Jan 12, 2012, 04:06 AM
Mmmmmmm!
WiseDuck's Avatar
I really love the look of the frame and how sturdy it feels. Vibrations travel through it easily though, so you need to dampen the cameras you put on it. But then again, I guess that's par for the course. I'm gonna put my frame to the test later, I already have a bunch of extra things on it. (Extra 1000mah 3S battery for the camera and video Tx, lots of wires etc.)
Jan 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User
brianshell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntars
What is the flight time?
17 minutes, under full load. Full load is the following:

- 6,000mAh 3S battery
- 1500mw 1.2ghz Transmitter
- GoPro 2
- LED Strip lights on front and back
- DJI Naza

That's a lot of power being sucked into the battery, and a lot of weight. It flies like it's on rails, even when loaded down like this. Love it.
Jan 12, 2012, 07:03 PM
Registered User
brianshell's Avatar
Here's a photo.
Jan 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
Registered User
kauaicuda's Avatar
The noodle mod seems popular!
Jan 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
Registered User
brianshell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicuda
The noodle mod seems popular!
I got the idea here... I really like it! Not only does it make good landing gear, but it really increases the visibility so you can see the orientation better when it's zooming around.
Jan 13, 2012, 09:15 AM
Registered User
jforkner's Avatar
What props are you using, Brian?

Also, it appears you have the GoPro mounted to the bottom plate. Are you getting any waviness in the captured video?

Thanks.


Jack
Jan 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
Mmmmmmm!
WiseDuck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforkner
What props are you using, Brian?

Also, it appears you have the GoPro mounted to the bottom plate. Are you getting any waviness in the captured video?

Thanks.


Jack
If I may, this here was recorded with a GoPro on the bottom plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqylcjOEDY

I simply velcroed it to the bottom plate and then used a Turnigy battery strap to hold it in place. The two layers of velcro + the strap seems to dampen the camera a bit. I saw no vibrations in the footage even at full resolution.

However, I forgot to the bring the battery strap with me the next time I flew so I put it on the velcro and then used zipties to keep it in place. This was a much stiffer setup and I saw lots of vibrations in the footage.

So, the tab works, but you need to put the camera on something soft and make sure it has some wiggle room. Mind you, this is a naked GoPro camera so a bad crash or water landing would ruin it.
Jan 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
Z06 Tony's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck
If I may, this here was recorded with a GoPro on the bottom plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqylcjOEDY

I simply velcroed it to the bottom plate and then used a Turnigy battery strap to hold it in place. The two layers of velcro + the strap seems to dampen the camera a bit. I saw no vibrations in the footage even at full resolution.

However, I forgot to the bring the battery strap with me the next time I flew so I put it on the velcro and then used zipties to keep it in place. This was a much stiffer setup and I saw lots of vibrations in the footage.

So, the tab works, but you need to put the camera on something soft and make sure it has some wiggle room. Mind you, this is a naked GoPro camera so a bad crash or water landing would ruin it.
With a GoPro the low light masks the jello. I took the same setup and shot video on a cloudy but still semi-bright day and no jello. I used the same setp on a bright sunny day and there was jello.
Jan 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Registered User
brianshell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforkner
What props are you using, Brian?

Also, it appears you have the GoPro mounted to the bottom plate. Are you getting any waviness in the captured video?

Thanks.


Jack
I'm using the APC 10x4.7 props. I had to drill them out, and I made no effort to balance them whatsoever. And yes, the captured video is LOADED with jello. See results here:

Extra 300 Almost Hits Flame Wheel 450 (0 min 14 sec)
Last edited by brianshell; Jan 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Jan 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
Mmmmmmm!
WiseDuck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony
With a GoPro the low light masks the jello. I took the same setup and shot video on a cloudy but still semi-bright day and no jello. I used the same setp on a bright sunny day and there was jello.
Still, I saw almost no jello in the full resolution clip, but in the one where I ziptied the camera to the frame I saw lots and lots of jello. Now, if the jello doesn't show up in the finished video for whatever reason, then I guess everything is just fine and dandy. :P I'll have a look at the uncompressed clips again just to be sure.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Naza / Flame Wheel 450 RTF Kit -- Engines Won't Start brianshell Multirotor Drone Talk 49 Oct 08, 2012 04:22 AM
Discussion Just broke 3 blades on my flame-wheel 450. What replacement should I get? brianshell Multirotor Drone Talk 12 Jan 02, 2012 11:33 PM
Sold DJI F450 Flame Wheel White/Black NEW SEALED $70 Shipped Priority 2-3 Day Mail Z06 Tony Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 6 Jan 01, 2012 02:04 PM
Sold DJI Flame Wheel F450 White/Black frame x2 timecop Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 5 Dec 13, 2011 09:50 PM
Discussion Wookong-M + Flame wheel 450 nest Multirotor Drone Talk 3 Nov 10, 2011 11:48 PM