Oct 06, 2003, 07:49 PM
Thread OP

LED's for night flight

I am looking to hook up some LED's for night flight. I have found a few red, white and blue rated at 3000 mcd. at my fathers shop. the LED has 2 long (about 1") leads from them. unfortunately i didnt grab one to test - but does anyone know if these are like light bulbs where you simply need to hook each lead to a + and - side of the battery or even in a series - or do i need to add more to the mixture?

if anyone has built their own system - please let me know what you did

thanks (and yes i know about the curtek lights - but i am a builder not a buyer now)
Last edited by nose_first; Oct 06, 2003 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2003, 08:51 PM
You'll need to check the specs before hooking them up to power. Some types (but only a few) have a built in resistor to protect them from overcurrent.

Most need to have their current and volt specs matched by calculating which value of resistor to add in series to the circuit.

Each type, color, size, etc. of LEDs have different requirments. For example if one is rated 30ma current and 2 vts, you'll figure your source volts (say 6) minus 2 (=4) divided by .03 (=133) which is the approximate value in ohms of the resistor to use. It's okay to fudge to the next available size. BTW, the small 1/4 watt type are fine considering the small current required.

Do a search for LEDs and you'll find much information on them.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they are polorized so if you hook one up backwards, it just won't light.
Oct 06, 2003, 08:57 PM
Here's a link to more in-depth FAQ on LEDS:

http://members.misty.com/don/ledd.html
Oct 06, 2003, 09:03 PM
Checking the wind

Lights

A couple of years ago I setup my Mini Max with very simple lights that worked very well.

I found some Thill brand fishing bobber replacement lights in the sporting goods department at Wal-Mart. After going to several stores I finally found a red a green and an amber. These little lights have their own little batteries attached. You just pull on the light and it comes on. I velcroed them to the airplane and they worked great all summer! I think they were about 3 bucks a piece. They seem to last forever.

Mike
Oct 06, 2003, 10:03 PM
Man Of Badgers
Ive been thinking. would it be possible to take a plane that can handle a little weight and add one of those bicycle lights? the kind that have 8 lights that can stay on, or blink in different order depending on how many times you press the button. You could just solder on longer wires to the LED's and place them on the wingtips and tail. all you have to do place the base on the fuse and press the button to turn it on. Would this work on something like a slow stick?

O.B.
Oct 06, 2003, 10:14 PM
O.B. can't answer that since I've never seen one but if it is light enought on a large enough plane, why not add a servo to press the button in flight? You'd have your own controllable lightshow!
Oct 07, 2003, 01:47 AM
I have just released a new and absolutely innovative flashing light system in which you can design your own light sequence on four separate channel and play it during your flight… and you don’t need any additional servo!

Have a look at: www.rc-flysoft.com

Ciao

Michele
Oct 07, 2003, 06:51 AM
I've just lighted my Slow Stick with a couple of Radio Shack LEDs, and it works out just fine. They are yellow, 2.1V 20mA 3000mcl. I wired them in series with a 100 ohm resistor in series with the pair , powering them from an unused channel on my receiver. I positioned them near the fake aileron lines on the rear underside of the wing with clear tape, positioned so they shine on the leading edge. This two light setup actually shows 4 lights in flight as it illuminates the front underside of the wing. I put holes directly above the LEDs, ( covered in clear tape), so that the light would show on top of the wing as well. This shows 2 lights on top versus 4 lights on the bottom. The wing also "glows" as the light is diffused through the foam. As you do a landing approach, the direct beam of the light shines in your eyes until it gets low enough to actually illuminate the ground! With a cost of <$5, it sure was a great investment!
Oct 07, 2003, 10:02 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
This thread should teach you what you need to know about hooking up your LEDs:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t=yourself+led

You can hook them up to a spare channel on your receiver and you'll need a resistor on each LED, the above thread tells you how to size the resistor. Get yourself some magnet wire too, it's really light and perfect for LED systems.
Oct 07, 2003, 10:05 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Michele, I couldn't get that link to work, but your system sounds very cool!
Oct 07, 2003, 10:23 AM
Now it seems that the problem at my provider is fixed and the link (probably) works...

www.rc-flysoft.com

Ciao

Michele

Quick Reply