Jan 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Dumas 36' Motor Life Boat #1258

I have started to build a Dumas model of a 36' Motor Life Boat.
I have been working on glass hull Tugs, this will be the first woode hull boat I have built that will go in the water.
There is another thread, a discussion, which lead me to have the interest to do this build ( hope I did the link correctly ).
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1518107
There is an actual boat not far from me, I hope to visit to get pics ( Lifeboat station at Point Reyes, California ).
The plans are outstanding, several sheets, two seperate instruction books, one text and one pictorial.
UPS done good, no damage at all ( see inpection performed by my helper ).
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 18, 2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Link ...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2012, 05:04 PM
At last we can see one getting built. Very good photo's. Dumas does offer motor and drive train parts as extras but not needed right now. With the help of your Inspection
Foreman you should be well on your way.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Jan 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
r/c ships and workboats
lazer cut parts look good and all seems to be fitting quite well there Tim.
Jan 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
Thread OP

Planning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman
At last we can see one getting built. Very good photo's. Dumas does offer motor and drive train parts as extras but not needed right now. With the help of your Inspection
Foreman you should be well on your way.
Hi Gravman, see page 5 of your original post, I have a nice little gearmotor from MACK, I need to make a mount etc. before I get a coupling and such wich will get me final dimensions.
I think I better do that before I lay to with plank.
Jan 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
Thread OP

Nice kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
lazer cut parts look good and all seems to be fitting quite well there Tim.
Hi Keith, yes, the parts in this particular kit came ot razor sharp and trouble free, just a bit of sanding and they went down.
Jan 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
Thread OP

After lunch

A few more ( finished lunch ), time to show the sheer work.
The sheers are three peice, in retrospect I shooda cut my own single piece parts so there would be no trouble...
Even though these cured overnight, they were ready to snap as I was putting them in.
Used hot water and a dropper at edge to releive tension, it worked well, slowly worked them in.
Put in braces on the first side for strength so I could keep moving.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 18, 2016 at 02:01 PM.
Jan 11, 2012, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
Slow, steady power.
Yep, that's a nice little unit. I run one in my Monterey- it will be perfect for this boat. On 7.2v, I have the throttle epa turned down a little for scale speed and it runs all day long on a 1500 pack.
Jan 11, 2012, 10:45 PM
Thread OP

Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Yep, that's a nice little unit. I run one in my Monterey- it will be perfect for this boat. On 7.2v, I have the throttle epa turned down a little for scale speed and it runs all day long on a 1500 pack.
This one came with three different gears for three different ratios ...
Jan 11, 2012, 11:29 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Great looking boat !! Thanks for posting the build !!!
Jan 11, 2012, 11:51 PM
Taking care of the pond.
I'm watching this build.
Jan 12, 2012, 12:11 AM
KC8WPF
When I purchased my kit, I also purchased the Dumas running hardware kit for it. I plan on using a MACK Products SB-4 stuffing tube and a right hand pitch prop. The Dumas hardware kit has a left hand pitch prop. I plan on using parts of the Dumas stuffing tube to make up the rudder stuffing tube.
The MACK SB-4 is 5/16" OD, and requires trimming 1/16" off K3 and K4 and possibly modifying Frame 7 to fit over the stuffing box.
Jan 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
This one came with three different gears for three different ratios ...
Yep.
Jan 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
Thread OP

A fine plan !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob
When I purchased my kit, I also purchased the Dumas running hardware kit for it. I plan on using a MACK Products SB-4 stuffing tube and a right hand pitch prop. The Dumas hardware kit has a left hand pitch prop. I plan on using parts of the Dumas stuffing tube to make up the rudder stuffing tube.
The MACK SB-4 is 5/16" OD, and requires trimming 1/16" off K3 and K4 and possibly modifying Frame 7 to fit over the stuffing box.
YOUR plan sounds good !
Happen to have the SB-4 tube assy ( bought it with the gearmotor and prop above ), you guys have been doing this a long time, thanks for being patient and throwing in, that's why I value being a member so highly.
I want to get the design and dimensions of the motor, shaft, servo and battery location established before I plank.
And ballast !
With all this balsa, this thing is going to float like a packing peanut !
Jan 12, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thread OP

Hi Manny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy
Great looking boat !! Thanks for posting the build !!!
Morning Manny !
Good to see you are there.
I got so focused on your Shelley I had to step back and find a distraction, this is it !
Jan 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thread OP

Mailbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Yep.
Captain !
Your mailbox is full....
We kenna send you any more messages to ye 'til you purge !

Quick Reply