Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by fiego007
Discussion

Quad or Hexa for AP

Hey

I am a bit confused. I see great videos of "heavy" quadros who carry big cameras and it all looks smooth. But most of the time its either a hexa or an octo. Why should I go for hexa or octo if I can achieve the same with a "heavy" quadro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by signguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiego007 View Post
Hey

I am a bit confused. I see great videos of "heavy" quadros who carry big cameras and it all looks smooth. But most of the time its either a hexa or an octo. Why should I go for hexa or octo if I can achieve the same with a "heavy" quadro
how much do you REALLY have to lift?? A hex or octo can have more, smaller motor/prop combos for the same lift as a heavy quad. the smaller motors will respond quicker to the flight controller making the hex/octo more stable.

if you're just lifting 10-12 oz build a quad, more than that maybe a hex is better..... just my opinion, 'm sure others will have different opinions
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
good point
in the end it should be a sony-nex5 and a decent frame
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:21 AM
Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Kite flying SCRAPS member
With a Nex 5 I would have thought you might want an element of redundancy. If a motor goes goes on a quad, well start saving your pennies for a new Nex 5, whereas on a hex you may be able to bring it down in some sort of controlled landing
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by sparklet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderGuideMan View Post
With a Nex 5 I would have thought you might want an element of redundancy. If a motor goes goes on a quad, well start saving your pennies for a new Nex 5, whereas on a hex you may be able to bring it down in some sort of controlled landing
Seconded.

He's right. If a motor or prop fails on a quad then it will turn into something resembling a flying manhole cover and plummet straight down. Usually after flipping upside down first !

With a fixed wing model you can usually glide back down. With a tricopter or quad there is nothing to stop it dropping straight out of the sky if a motor or prop goes bad.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:12 AM
that's the best reason to go for 6 or 8 rotors pfcourse
did not even think of thatone to be honest....