Jan 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum DSM2 and the Nats - Question for Spektrum/JR users

Need an opinion - This is addressed to the Spektrum/JR usres, partiularly those with large event experience.

I have been slowly moving my fleet of planes over to Spektrum DSM2 using Spektrum modules in my Futaba 9C Supers. So far my experience has been pretty good. Sure I have had occasional issues but I was able to trace them back to power or to a failed device, similar to what I have had with 72 MHz. Overall the experience has been good.

I have a matched pair of radios for back-up purposes. I have no desire to buy new radios as I know these.

My main contest planes, my Supra, Graphite and AVA are still on 72 MHz and are next up for conversion to 2.4 based on the Spektrum module(s) in my Futaba 9C Supers, just as I have been doing with my slope planes and other gliders. Now I am thinking about going to the NATs. Questions come up.

So, out comes DSMX and the talk of use at large events. I didn't care as I have not been attending such large events and had no concern about DSM2 for the events I was attending. DSMX is not available in Spektrum Modules and I am told it never will be.

Up until now I have not flown an event with more than 50 pilots, and not all of those pilots were on 2.4. Now I will be on a site that might have 200 or more pilots using 2.4 GHz systems. And, of course glider pilots are different than heli pilots or pattern pilots in that we tend to fly very high and very far away. That means our radios are pushed harder, in my opinion.

This is addressed to the Spektrum/JR users who might have experience at these large events. What has been your experience with DSM2 at large events? Should I feel confident with the DSM2 modules or should I be looking to get Futaba Modules for my Futaba radios when going to the NATs? This would be a lot more expensive as I would need two TM8 modules/receivers at $300 each. I am not looking to replace my 9Cs.

Looking at the registration forms it appears that they can still accomodate 72 MHz but it is also clear that 2.4 is the preferred way to go. My Supra, Graphite and AVA are still on 72. Should I leave them on 72? Should I convert them to 2.4 for the Nats? Which 2.4?

Open to opinions as I realize there are no absolutes.
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2012, 01:13 PM
I have flown the NATS, Masters, SEFF with DSM2 without any issues. I have friends who flew at IRCHA with DSM2 without issue.

If you intend to fly at Joe Nall, then maybe you want to think about DSMX but, personally, I have not seen a need to move to DSMX and have no intentions on modifying my current DSM2 gear (JR11X and JR12X) to DSMX.

I have never used a conversion module for a 72MHz to 2.4GHz conversion, my radios are native 2.4.

LSF will allow a single pilot per crystal controlled channel at this year's NATS. The World Soaring Masters will be 2.4GHz only.

tk
Jan 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
Like TK, no issues with DSM2 and no perceived need to go to DSMX. I use both a module based 12X and 9303, all without any problems. As always, all new installations should be thoroughly range checked before committing to a populated flying environment.

JT
Jan 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Gentlemen. You two are about the best feedback I could have hoped for.

My inclination was that there was nothing to worry about but it never hurts to ask those who have been there and done that.
Jan 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
I don't know how they run the Nats, but I had 2 lock outs at the last Visalia Fall Fest and the last one was fatal! This was with a JR9303 and an ar6200 in my Marauder. There was an overwhelming amount of activity(in the order of 50+ radios on at the same time in a small area) and I wasn't the only one that had the same issues, another member of our group got locked out too. I have since switched to Airtronics for a couple of reasons, but just giving my experience.

Forest
Jan 11, 2012, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Forest. This is valuable input, especially since your Marauder is all wood and that receiver has a remote antenna.

ANY chance it was battery related?
Jan 11, 2012, 01:08 PM
I was also at Visalia with same DSM2 setup as I use everywhere, and no issues at all. This was in a Supra, so there was carbon involved which would have been a more difficult situation than an all wood plane. I suspect Forest had something else going on, but its only a guess.

JT
Jan 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Guys, I can't tell you how helpful this is. Thanks so much and keep it coming.
Jan 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Thanks Forest. This is valuable input, especially since your Marauder is all wood and that receiver has a remote antenna.

ANY chance it was battery related?
100% positive it wasn't battery related. Pack was only a couple months old and I topped em up that morning before the contest started. I had never once experienced even a single glitch with that system until that day. You just never know when something may strike.

Forest
Jan 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0
100% positive it wasn't battery related. Pack was only a couple months old and I topped em up that morning before the contest started. I had never once experienced even a single glitch with that system until that day. You just never know when something may strike.
Forest
Sounds like a cue for the Jaws music. Dun Dun Dun Dun .....
Jan 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
That's how it felt! Never even saw it coming. I was circling in a thermal when all of a sudden it pitched nose up then stalled. Then it turned into a missile and I never regained control. Straight in on a dirt road.
Jan 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
I flew more than anyone else at Visalia and never had a problem with my DSM2 equipment. Forest I was wondering where you got the SPMAR 6200 that gave you the problems. Unfortunately there are counterfeit 6200's traded on these forums and sold by Chinese suppliers. For Clarity I am a team Horizon Pilot. Larry Jolly
Jan 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
The receiver was bought new from my LHS so I know it was a real one. Not really sure what happened, but it did. I had a glitch in the second round when I was cruising and bumped a thermal and went to turn into it and I got no response. Changed my Tx position and regained control seconds after and finished the round out. It was the third round that I got locked out for good.

Forest
Jan 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
I flew more than anyone else at Visalia and never had a problem with my DSM2 equipment. Forest I was wondering where you got the SPMAR 6200 that gave you the problems. Unfortunately there are counterfeit 6200's traded on these forums and sold by Chinese suppliers. For Clarity I am a team Horizon Pilot. Larry Jolly
Larry, is there some way to tell if the stuff is phony?
Jan 13, 2012, 02:35 AM
Ed there is a discussion in the traders section in the classified describing the copys. LJ

Quick Reply