Jan 10, 2012, 04:44 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Control line Engine Pictures

Anyone else here love engines ?
Is it ok to post pictures of engines ?
I love engines ... And the next best thing to owning engines , is checking out other peoples engines , and talking about engines ...

Reached into the cupboard , and pulled out a Jena ...

Last edited by old4570; Jan 10, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2012, 05:05 AM
Greggles47
Nice one Old,

Here's one of my favourites.

Regards

G
Jan 10, 2012, 05:12 AM
Thread OP

Yeah

Which X15 is that ?

Added OPS 15 pic's
Last edited by old4570; Jan 10, 2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Add Image
Jan 10, 2012, 09:00 AM
This is my latest CL engine, the Enya 61CXLRS PRO (to give it its full name).

But if you're interested in engines then check out this topic supposedly about vintage glows but it's kind of developed a life of its own now .
Jan 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
Thread OP

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder
This is my latest CL engine, the Enya 61CXLRS PRO (to give it its full name).

But if you're interested in engines then check out this topic supposedly about vintage glows but it's kind of developed a life of its own now .
Nice thread , thank you , geez - When I think about all the engines I have let go over the years .

Would have liked to never have parted with any of them ...

Added Quickstart Wasp - Davis Charlton
The British .049
Last edited by old4570; Jan 10, 2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Add image
Jan 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
I am kind of an old time engine guy, and these have all been flown in my control line planes. Just isn't anything like an old spark ignition engine growling around the circle. These are three of my favorites. First one is an Anderson Spitfire 65, second one is an Orwick 64, and the third is a Super Cyclone.
Jan 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
Well here's some of mine.

The Fox 35 is a very rare one, it's the very first model from December 1948. There aren't too many of these around, they were produced in a very small numbers prior to the partnership with Duke and Dale Arnold.
It's identified by no web between the venturi and crankcase, thin 4 bolt head and two bolt back plate.
It's on page 84 of the "American Model Engine Encyclopedia" and listed as #4
If anyone is interested, I am going to let this one go as it's not in my collecting range these days.
Jan 10, 2012, 08:48 PM
This must be the rarest pair of engines I've ever had the pleasure to own.
These H&R Rattlers are again listed in the "The American Engine Encyclopedia" and about 25 known to have been made, the one without the H&R under the exhaust was listed in the book as being "first two or three engines had no H&R under the exhaust" so in the true sense of the word a rare engine.
They now both are living in Canada
Jan 10, 2012, 09:28 PM
Thread OP

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglafart
This must be the rarest pair of engines I've ever had the pleasure to own.
These H&R Rattlers are again listed in the "The American Engine Encyclopedia" and about 25 known to have been made, the one without the H&R under the exhaust was listed in the book as being "first two or three engines had no H&R under the exhaust" so in the true sense of the word a rare engine.
They now both are living in Canada
WOW!!!!!
Jan 10, 2012, 09:34 PM
Thread OP

Taipan Tyro

The good old Taipan Tyro ..

I had a few of these 20 years ago [ and maybe some ] , I let them go , this is my last one , and it purrs , and puts out good power ...

If you tried to rev them too hard , or not use enough ignition improver [ or No ignition improver ] they tended to pop there heads off [ cylinder screwed to case with 4 small screws ] , and soft aluminium .

On the bench , it could match a RVD Rossi 15 on a 7x6 Taipan prop . [ Thats how nice this Tyro is ]
Jan 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
Thread OP

Taipan 2.5 QM [ As the Americans called it ]

Taipan Gold Top [ as we called it in Oz ]

This is the earlier one made by Burford Senior ??? [ Jr put on the plastic back plate and the engines just dont seem to last as well ??? ]

1st one is the RC [ or QM depending on where you are ] version . This one belonged to Tony Cincotta [ Saturn Hobbies ] .. When I got it , he told me it was his old QM engine [ Well ?? ] , anyhow it came out of the draw in the desk across the street [ I got two engines out of that desk ] from the shop ..

Those who know [ know ] ..

Anyhow , its a fantastic engine , still feels great after all these years [ 74 - 2012 ] , thats 38 years ...

It must be at least 15 years or more since this engine has fired up in anger .

Engine 2 / ???? My memory is not good enough to remember where that one came from , Ive had ????? 14 or so Gold Tops over the Decades ...
Im currently down to two good 74's and a few not so good ones made by Jr .
Currently 6 Assembled [ 2 good ones ] and parts to maybe make two more ?? maybe ?

Anyhow engine 2 is a SE with a Conquest Head , amazing how much power this SE produces , not sure if its the config or the Conquest head , again not fired up for at least 15 years .
Last edited by old4570; Jan 15, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
Jan 11, 2012, 06:20 AM
Thread OP

Rossi Ri Re 15 FF/Goodyear/Combat

One of my all time favourite engines : = The Rossi 15 Ri Re

This one is a Normal timed [ 150deg Exh ] ABC Piston Cyl , the head is a double bubble head [ DIY ] , Timings are stock [ Didn't want it revving to high = I tried to keep it under 24000 in the air ]

I really like the Rear induction Rossi engines , unfortunately once you got them really going they would blow the rear induction disc , so you had to keep the revs down ... That usually meant more pitch on the prop , and heavy models [ goodyear ] would really bog the engine down ..

I did mean to make a drum valve set up for it when I had a lathe but never got around to it ... , maybe one day ...

Wish I had a time machine , id buy 50 ...
Last edited by old4570; Jan 11, 2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: More info
Jan 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
Thread OP

Rossi 15 TRD

What can I say about this one ?

The Rossi 15 TR - Ri Re Diesel .. [ This is a stock Steel Ri ]

This really was a sweat heart of an engine , Diesels can have a reputation for being difficult , not the Rossi Ri Re Diesel .
It was a dream engine , easy to tune and even easier to start ..

All it took was blocking the intake , two turns of the prop , a flick or two and it was running . Never come across a Diesel before that behaved as well , some of the Taipan Diesels came close , but the Rossi , damn ..

And it ran like a clock , what an engine .. Never raced the Ri Rossi engines I had , but what great Sunday flyer motors they were [ serious overkill ] ..
I just could not bear the thought of killing such a sweet engine in Rat race , or combat or Goodyear ...
Last edited by old4570; Jan 11, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: more info
Jan 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
Thread OP

Another Diesel

I sure hope my fellow control line flyers are snapping pictures of there engines ,
Here is another Diesel to Ho and Hum over ..

An old Conquest 15D
Jan 13, 2012, 07:12 PM
Thread OP

More Pictures ...

Come on guys ! Post pictures of your engines

Pictured = Series 12 Taipan [ MK1 ]

There were some 3 different versions of the Series 12 [ I say 3 because the black head became the series 13 ]

This one is the first , the 2nd had a exhaust collector flange added to the case just where the cylinder bolts down ...

The third was called the 72 Competition Special , and could be ordered with an optional Schnerl Ported Cylinder .. It came with a new ventury , and a larger stronger T-bar

In 73 the engine became the Series 13 , was given a black anodized head and no more optional extras ... [ Also a length of music wire was run across the head to help lock the T-bar ]

Damn fine engines , a little heavy , and the Taipan Diesel that is more coveted in the day was the series 11 ... [ another day ]

Please = Engine Pictures
Last edited by old4570; Jan 13, 2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply