Oct 06, 2003, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Idea

Y.A.H.S. Yet another head stiffener

This has probably been done to death but I thought I'd post my home made Feda / Dragonfly head stiffener pics. I used a strip of 10mm by 50mm aluminium from the lid of a "zippy" electronic project box. The screws are 2.5mm by 12mm (??). The holes are 36mm apart. My immediate impression is that it's made the heli more stable in the hover too. I have not tried it outside, too dark and cold tonight! It's gone from being stable in a hover to feeling like someone has tied a piece of rope to each corner of the u/c and tied it in one spot..

Ingmar
Last edited by imeins; Nov 03, 2018 at 05:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2003, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
another view.
Last edited by imeins; Nov 03, 2018 at 05:22 AM.
Oct 06, 2003, 11:53 AM
2 MANY TOYS :-)
Nice use of the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) Also very affordable. The result of all the head stiffners I use, has done nothing to make hover stability better or worse. It did however reduce the FP heli's tendancy to pitch up in forward flight by reducing the coning angle formed by the blades flexing up at the tips It also made the heli more responsive to cyclic commands and for a beginner this may be a curse instead of a benefit
Oct 06, 2003, 01:46 PM
did any one try to add weight onto stock blades?
Oct 06, 2003, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Hi Hoverup, maybe it was the improvement in responsiveness that I felt. I know that it should help with the FF. I can see the flatter rotor plane as I hover at eye level. Maybe I was just so pleased with myself at making the stiffener that I simply flew better

Glenn, dunno !

Cheers, Ingmar..
Oct 06, 2003, 04:21 PM
That' kewl What ever makes your clock tick
Oct 06, 2003, 06:59 PM
geez then does hoverup know?
Oct 06, 2003, 07:07 PM
Thread OP
I just tried the heli out on the front lawn during "smoko" time (I'm working from home). There is a light but very variable breeze at the moment. Makes a very big difference. Just did a few slow circuits and it seemed to be much better behaved as the wind picked up and dropped off. Also it didn't shoot off into the air the moment I got some FF happening.

Ingmar
Oct 06, 2003, 07:13 PM
Textbook

Quick Reply