May 05, 2012, 10:45 PM
I haven't had any problems flying mine at -5 dBm also in my living room, and outside small front and back yards; however, I did have a problem and lost control of it when I took it to a LHS that has an indoor facility. I might have lost control because I was trying to fly it a little further away than I normally do at home, but I'm thinking it probably had more to do with flying close to about 20 RC Car enthusiasts, and they all probably had their TX's set to MAX +20 dBm (100 mW) power, while mine was set to MIN (0.3 mW) power. Maybe my 0.3 mW signal was "buried" in the 2,000 mW (20 TX's each @ 100 mW) "noise" that the others were making?

I decided next time I fly there, that I should crank up my TX's power level to "roast".
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2012, 01:50 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, I will crank the power output down and see what happens. I can only get 17 flights out a pack of fully charged 2500 mAH NiMh at the moment.

I wonder if anybody have successfully used a 7.4V Lipo pack in the Devo 8S?

I wonder what warning battery voltage do you recommend for telemetry?

I flew a further 17 packs today and it was pure heli heaven this time. There were a few things that were done for the first that I haven't even tried on the SIM. This included consecutive inverted circuits and piros. The heli was very stable when inverted. However, it did not flip as well as the V120D02S. I used a grass field and the heli sustained no damage this time, despite having to crash land inverted a number of times. It was just a matter of pick up and fly. Whereas with the MCPx, I often lost links into the grass following a crash.

Based on my experience so far, I would say that is easiest to learn flips on the V120D02S. Whereas for inverted flight, it is best to use the Mini CP if you fly over grass, and the MCPx if you fly over a hard surface. The reason is that the linear servos of the MCPx are very resistant to being stripped and you are more likely to find thrown off links on a hard surface.
Last edited by zadaw; May 06, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
May 06, 2012, 02:59 AM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
Wowhobbies has the Mini CP BNF on sale, 149.95 + 14.45 USPS insured.
May 06, 2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw

I wonder if anybody have successfully used a 7.4V Lipo pack in the Devo 8S?

I have used 7.4V Lipo from Wowhobbies. I lasts a very long time taking into account that I have min power set-up on my transmitter.

In relation to warning voltage, I'd say 3.3V the heli is already not flyable.
May 06, 2012, 05:52 AM
Anyway has a brushless conversion? I have had the following installed http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboace41...43g-3-1-1.aspx by Wowhobbies and right now Turbo Ace 300mAh 1S (3.7V) 25C Lipo Battery hardly lasts 3 mins in the sports mode. Its not the only battery, but all four. I wonder if this is due to the conversion or maybe cos I just never got around 80% Lipo rule. In the beginning the battery lasted 5 mins.

Any suggestions on the best battery brand please? That's your flying time in the sports mode (I am interested in the brushless models)?
May 06, 2012, 05:56 AM
A quick question; do these Ver: 2.x mini CP still have firmware upgrade capabilities? "The upgrading connectors" (double as the servo I/Os?) still physically exist on the RX.
May 06, 2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Thanks, I will crank the power output down and see what happens. I can only get 17 flights out a pack of fully charged 2500 mAH NiMh at the moment.
Before changing the TX power level from +20 to -5 dBm (100 mW to 0.3 mW), I was expecting to get about 300 times more flight time from each TX Battery Pack. After the change, I think I'm getting more flight time, but don't think it's even 10 times more. Someone explained that the display when lit up may use more Battery power than is being transmitted as RF energy. The more the screen is used, the longer time the screen is lit, and therefore the faster the TX Battery will drain.

Quote:
When I first started flying my Mini, I noticed it wanted to drop from the sky a little after discharging to 3.3 V. So I programmed the TX to Alarm at 3.3 V, and after the Alarm first starts beeping, it still has a few seconds remaining to do a powered landing. After the Alarm activates, as soon as I stop flying aggressively and slow down for the landing, the Voltage immediately goes up to 3.6 or 3.7 Volts; however, if I try to fly aggressively again, the Voltage will immediately drop to 3.3 V or lower. If you're doing inverted or 3D, you may want to play it safe and consider setting the Alarm to activate at 3.4 V, this way hopefully you'll have enough time and power to get situated right side up and come in for a scheduled landing on the skids.
Last edited by i812; May 08, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Error in memory: Changed from 3.4 to 3.3 V, and from 3.5 to 3.4 V
May 06, 2012, 07:02 AM
Team Armattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by on.looker
A quick question; do these Ver: 2.x mini CP still have firmware upgrade capabilities? "The upgrading connectors" (double as the servo I/Os?) still physically exist on the RX.
thats a very good question. i am personaly curious as to how they plan on upgrading the rx to begin with. upgrading my tx was a pain in the arse, but looking back it could have been worse.

i have used the 2s battery on my devo6s and it works very well and lasts a good amount of time, sorry i am not specific. i have not been too active flying lately, unfortunately too many errands too run.
May 06, 2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor
I use 0 dBm but I think you can also go with -5. You don't really need that much TX power since you'll just be flying this baby close.

I too does not have the servo saver mod and after hundreds of crashed has not stripped a servo yet. This is sports flying and hard fast circuit flying.
0 dBm is actually more power than -5 dBm and -3dBm is half the power of 0 dBm.

Good Luck, Don
May 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter
...i have used the 2s battery on my devo6s and it works very well and lasts a good amount of time, sorry i am not specific. i have not been too active flying lately, unfortunately too many errands too run.
I too use 2S 900maH batteries (from my old helis) to run my 8S. Anything larger would require the removal of the battery holder tray. 4 little screws. Not hard but extra work. My 8S always TX at full power. Have not kept track of how many flights per charge, but certainly more the 6 flying sessions ( 7 x 350maH batteries per session). I never thought this was note worthy, its a rechargeable LiPo and I always bring along a few extra. When the 8S beeps, I change the LiPo.
May 06, 2012, 03:51 PM
Do the Devo tx's have a voltage regulator? I'm still using AA's... at a rapid pace, lol. I'd like to use a lipo but am worried about over voltage. 4 AA's = 6V, 2S lipo fully charged = 8.4V.

And I'm still trying to figure out how people using lipos are claiming longer battery life when a AA is rated at something like 2000mah. So that's 8000mah at 6V vs. a 900mah 7.4 lipo.
Last edited by itsmillertime; May 06, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
May 06, 2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_1
Anyway has a brushless conversion? I have had the following installed http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboace41...43g-3-1-1.aspx by Wowhobbies and right now Turbo Ace 300mAh 1S (3.7V) 25C Lipo Battery hardly lasts 3 mins in the sports mode. Its not the only battery, but all four. I wonder if this is due to the conversion or maybe cos I just never got around 80% Lipo rule. In the beginning the battery lasted 5 mins.

Any suggestions on the best battery brand please? That's your flying time in the sports mode (I am interested in the brushless models)?
I think you are starting to push the battery technology envelope here. The very nature of a brushless motor requires a lot more juice to operate and don't forget to tack on the requirements of the conversion board itself. We don't exactly have a deep well to draw from here, even with your upgraded 300mAh batteries. By comparison, I am using 350mAh batteries with a stock motor (which has 150+ flights, btw). Like hovering, total on board power vs. total on board power consumption rate is always a delicate balancing act.

Reoccurring statements that every "professional" reviewer I've seen (must have seen everyone twice by now) thus far have said; this bird has plenty of power and it's very very quick. So unless you are trained to fly competitively, it's hard to imagine any armatures, like myself, being able to keep track of this tiny bird during 3D maneuvers if it moves any faster. I can appreciate the excitement and the ego boost that comes with flying faster circles but at the high expense of shorten flight time and a heighten chances of breaking more parts?! At least you have a shorter window to crash in front of your audiences.

Don't get me wrong, I too have upgraded some of my helis with the most powerful motor and power supply that I can legally get my hands on. But the only thing that these mini CP desperately needed, is a vastly improved flight time, not more torque. The whole secret of survivability for this class of heli is that it's light, flexible and "carries minimal inertia." In this way, it has a far better chance of harmlessly dissipate stored up energy when a nonconservative forces is applied to it during a crash. Bending without breaking, if you well. Adding higher torque motor and gears, weight, metal heads, and/or other stiffer parts would further defeat this "built in" survival mechanism. So "ego factor" not withstanding, it may not be very cost effective (not only in $$$) to upgrade this heli (other than a longer lasting brush motor).
Last edited by on.looker; May 06, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
May 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
Quote:
Originally Posted by on.looker
I think you are starting to push the battery technology envelope here. The very nature of a brushless motor requires a lot more juice to operate and don't forget to tack on the requirements of the conversion board itself. We don't exactly have a deep well to draw from here, even with your upgraded 300mAh batteries. By comparison, I am using 350mAh batteries with a stock motor (which has 150+ flights, btw). Like hovering, total on board power vs. total on board power consumption rate is always a delicate balancing act.

Reoccurring statements that every "professional" reviewer I've seen (must have seen everyone twice by now) thus far have said; this bird has plenty of power and it's very very quick. So unless you are trained to fly competitively, it's hard to imagine any armatures, like myself, being able to keep track of this tiny bird during 3D maneuvers if it moves any faster. I can appreciate the excitement and the ego boost that comes with flying faster circles but at the high expense of shorten flight time and a heighten chances of breaking more parts?! At least you have a shorter window to crash in front of your audiences.

Don't get me wrong, I too have upgraded some of my helis with the most powerful motor and power supply that I can legally get my hands on. But the only thing that these mini CP desperately needed, is a vastly improved flight time, not more torque. The whole secret of survivability for this class of heli is that it's light, flexible and "carries minimal inertia." In this way, it has a far better chance of harmlessly dissipate stored up energy when a nonconservative forces is applied to it during a crash. Bending without breaking, if you well. Adding higher torque motor and gears, weight, metal heads, and/or other stiffer parts would further defeat this "built in" survival mechanism. So "ego factor" not withstanding, it may not be very cost effective (not only in $$$) to upgrade this heli (other than a longer lasting brush motor).
The C05m or Bockman motor doubles (or more) flight time AND has more power, and is lighter...so cant really agree with that.
I get 5mins on my c05 w/ 300mah 35c nanotechs and thats with a NINE tooth pinion and GCP gear. Lots of power. A 7 or 8t pinion would give me even more time, just less headspeed.
The Bockman motor gives me even more power than that, with similar times.
Going brushless is definitely not a self defeating option for the Mini.
May 06, 2012, 07:33 PM
Team Armattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF
The C05m or Bockman motor doubles (or more) flight time AND has more power, and is lighter...so cant really agree with that.
I get 5mins on my c05 w/ 300mah 35c nanotechs and thats with a NINE tooth pinion and GCP gear. Lots of power. A 7 or 8t pinion would give me even more time, just less headspeed.
The Bockman motor gives me even more power than that, with similar times.
Going brushless is definitely not a self defeating option for the Mini.
i have a c05 brushless w/ genious gear as well, i bought it from wowhobbies like that. i get descent flight times, about five minutes smooth flying and hovering and an ocasional crash every other flight. this was the best birthday present ever. very durable and well made. it breaks apart before actualy... breaking. as in, the pieces come off intact leaving the heli in pieces yet in one.... piece. kind of like, it separates whilesas at the same time staying.... whole.
hehe, its good stuff.
May 06, 2012, 08:30 PM
Still getting tail blowouts even with the 7mm tail motor. Running the Bockman now with a 8 tooth pinion and 55% pitch t/a. It's not as bad with only 55% pitch t/a and is still plenty fast. Sometimes it holds great for several full, full pitch climb/ descents, sometimes it's a 1/4 kick, and sometimes it just spins out of control. I used 28g magnet wire for my tail motor and am thinking about going a little bigger. I think most mcpx guys run 26g and that may be one of the issues, my tail motor not getting enough power. I also notice that some flights my mini does not drift ccw anymore and some flights it does. It seems to have a mind of it's own. So, larger tail wire, stiffer rotor head o-rings, meticulous blade balancing and possibly rubber grommets to mount the rx are in order.

Quick Reply