Mar 12, 2012, 07:29 AM
North East England
After flying mine for nearly a week now, I agree with Kurt's review totally - mine is exactly the same; better proportional control on the sticks is needed. Mine slides left almost instantly but to go right the stick doesn't take effect until about half travel, and as Kurt says, it tends to want to be 'all or nothing'.

However, the model flys very well indeed in 3ch mode - mine does 8 mins - and is only let down by the aforementioned 'roll' control. It's not impossible though - you just have to concentrate on it more than you would with a better quality 4ch. I can do nose-in and nose-out circuits and I find it great fun, though you have to keep on your toes (especially with the 'reversed Mode 2'roll and rudder controls). I'm sure after flying this for a while it'll set me up well when I get a quality 4ch heli

My advice would be to consider this as a decent-flying 3ch model with some 'extra' sideways ability - if you're going for your first 4ch model then look at the others on the market first.

Steve
Last edited by Redbaron25; Mar 12, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
Upstanding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft
Now that is one very smart looking heli, seeing that come over the horizon would certainly make you look twice
That's what I thought, but the doggies didn't seem so impressed when it comes over the couch :P
The wifey had a good chuckle when she 'caught' me painting the blades in the garage yesterday though

Steve - good overview.
You definitely need to concentrate to achieve any sort of smoothness, but there is a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you do!
One of the challenges is maintaining a constant altitude when working the aileron, because even the slightest change in throttle has a big effect, and when and how much left/right swash is applied is close to a guessing game.

Just made another sortie in the garage, including some fairly tight and quick funnels. Well, as much of a funnel as a little coax can do anyways...
She does look quite good in the air, with the super-bright front spotlight and a soft red glow in the gearbox.

If/when Syma can fix the controller I'm thinking these would make excellent IR Battling helis. They can lift an extra 5g or so of armament with no problem.
Mar 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
Suspended Account
I also have buy one from http://www.syma-rc.com/Syma-S800G-4C...pter-with-GYRO , they also have a lot of parts for choice.
Mar 15, 2012, 04:45 AM
North East England
Just an update after more flights on my S800G..

I’m now actually enjoying flying it, as it makes you work at it - though not annoyingly so, just enough to keep your mind on the job. Stability is good and pitch and yaw are quite controllable, it’s just the lack of smooth roll control that lets it down as a supposedly ‘4ch‘ heli. You need to use the throttle more on this heli as you fly around too but it's no real problem. The manual states this is a '3.5ch' heli and that seems a more accurate description - three good channels and half a 'roll' channel

I think the problem is the ‘roll’ pot inside the Tx. If the motors that actuate the swash plates were erratic then we’d have problems with pitch and yaw too but they’re fine, so the only culprit left is the pot. Maybe the more technically-minded among us will find out - I’d like to see someone find a solution as I’ve no real problem with this heli otherwise (except those short (9mm) Tx sticks which I’ll replace with some metal tube as they just pull off and leave nice steel shafts ideal for CA‘ing tube onto)

Anyway, I’m now quite used to the fact that left roll is instant, right roll takes half the stick movement to start, and there's not much proportional control either way. Provided you anticipate this, go gently and use the throttle to maintain height (it loses height quickly when you hit the roll stick), you can control it well. Flying it 3ch is straightforward but thinking ahead is definitely required when using that 4th channel (and allowing more space).

Okay, it's not perfect but I’m still glad I bought this heli; it has its own peculiarities (and stick arrangement) but it can be made to fly well with practice and concentration.. and I wouldn’t want every heli I owned to have identical flight characteristics anyway. Part of the attraction for me is that each one is different - even my four S107's show slight variances between them. As long as it’s not a totally unflyable pig - and this one certainly isn‘t - a bit of variety and challenge is good. With 8 mins flying time, you at least have time to practice with it! If you can pick one up really cheaply, it's still worth getting - it'll keep up your co-ordination skills if nothing else.

Steve
Mar 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
Upstanding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25
Anyway, I’m now quite used to the fact that left roll is instant, right roll takes half the stick movement to start, and there's not much proportional control either way. Provided you anticipate this, go gently and use the throttle to maintain height (it loses height quickly when you hit the roll stick), you can control it well.
Steve - good observations. I've been flying mine a few times per day as well since my other current fav choppers are waiting for parts, and am liking the challenge as well.
As to your point above about the need for throttle management while rolling left/right, I think this may have more to do with the throttle sensitivity and difficulty in maintaining a constant throttle when rolling.
Think of the natural arc your thumb makes when rolling left/right - it will naturally move the throttle down, and even a tiny movement of the S800g's throttle will have a big effect.

WJH - thanks for the link, are you affiliated with this company? Do you know when the S022g (big Chinook, with a gyro) is coming out?
Pretty good prices, and whoa look what else is coming!
Mar 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
Master Of My Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
WJH - thanks for the link, are you affiliated with this company? Do you know when the S022g (big Chinook, with a gyro) is coming out?
Pretty good prices, and whoa look what else is coming!
Hi Kurt,

I have had a look through that site and find it a bit weird that most of the helis are "Out of stock".

They have the S022 listed as having a gyro, in the pictures they have photographed two different models, check out the decals
Plus if you watch the video on the S022 page I have my doubts whether the S022 in the video has a gyro. and I can buy the S022 cheaper in the UK than the price they are advertising

I think this looks like a buyer beware site

cheers John.
Mar 15, 2012, 02:42 PM
Upstanding Member
hey John -
Seems like the website at least lists the "current" Syma models in stock, with all the upcoming ones listed as "coming soon".
I sent them an email asking for confirmation on the S022 if it's really a 'g' model unlike the photo showing the old TX.
Strange if Syma lets them get away with a URL like that if they're not somehow affiliated?
Anyway I agree, until I hear some unvarnished feedback will wait to order anything from the site.
cheers
Kurt
Mar 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
LURKER - 1st Post

On the syma S800G, I've been flying it for a couple of days. It works better than other micro 4 channels I've flown, ie. Zhengun Z008. Haven't had much occasion to crash it and I've flown the 800 outdoors with up to 5 knot breeze. The 800 seems just a sturdy as the 107G only down side is the flight time, both indoor and outdoor the best I can do is only under 5 minutes. I did notice the battery is the same as the 107G. Question. Will the same battery mod that works on the 107G do for the 800?
Mar 15, 2012, 04:07 PM
Master Of My Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by obermed
LURKER - 1st Post

. I did notice the battery is the same as the 107G. Question. Will the same battery mod that works on the 107G do for the 800?
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Whiich battery mod are you meaning as there have been a few done since the S107G came out

I would think any of the mods will work since the battery is the same as the S107G, although the S800G battery is mounted differently, this is why I ask which mod you mean

cheers John.
Mar 15, 2012, 05:44 PM
Hey Scotsoft and thx

I've only been hobby flying for a couple of months, the mod I saw on you tube for the 107G is for the 200mah Battery 3.7v Lithium Polymer. I did this mod on my first 107G for about 15 min. of flight time, the second 107G(fake/clone) I did the 200mah Battery 3.7v Lithium Polymer mod x2 batteries but it crapped out the balance so I moved the 2nd battery underneath the frame and that solved it. I want to do 1 battery mod on the 800G but I haven't read any 411 on the subject
Last edited by obermed; Mar 15, 2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: incomplete
Mar 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
Master Of My Universe
Quote:
Hey Scotsoft and thx

I've only been hobby flying for a couple of months, the mod I saw on you tube for the 107G is for the 200mah Battery 3.7v Lithium Polymer. I did this mod on my first 107G for about 15 min. of flight time, the second 107G(fake/clone) I did the 200mah Battery 3.7v Lithium Polymer mod x2 batteries but it crapped out the balance so I moved the 2nd battery underneath the frame and that solved it. I want to do 1 battery mod on the 800G but I haven't read any 411 on the subject
Placing the battery so the C of G is unaffected is very important and the S800G has the battery mounted vertically. The 200mAh battery will weight more, so if a 200mAh battery would fit in the same place then your heli will be nose heavy giving it a faster forward speed. However you might find you cannot achieve a hover and may not be able to fly the heli backwards. Siting the battery uderneath is probably the best option to maintain the C of G then all you have to worry about is the extra weight.
I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean when you write you haven't read any "411". I have no idea what a 411 is
Mar 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
"411" means "information" in this side of the pond, because you dial "911" for emergency, and "411" for information using your phone.
Mar 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
Master Of My Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad
"411" means "information" in this side of the pond, because you dial "911" for emergency, and "411" for information using your phone.
Thank you for clearing that mystery up, I feel the fabric of the Universe is healing itself as I type

@obermed This is an International forum and not everyone knows the meanings of these quaint numerical codes
Mar 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
Hey Scotsoft

My bad...re. your CG comment, I tried the larger bat. in the front of the 800G and IMO it doesn't seem to affect the trim characteristics for indoor flight. BTW one advantage of the 800G canopy is lots of room.
Mar 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Master Of My Universe
Quote:
Hey Scotsoft

My bad...re. your CG comment, I tried the larger bat. in the front of the 800G and IMO it doesn't seem to affect the trim characteristics for indoor flight. BTW one advantage of the 800G canopy is lots of room.

That is good news re the larger battery, are your flight times increased?

Quick Reply