Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Modelholic
Contest

Funbuild 5 - Piper Apache.

I hate all the plans being posted here on RCGroups! There are so many fantastic models that I have been feeling somewhat overwhelmed with all the "must builds". This to the point where I actually haven't done any building for weeks.

I've set myself a few targets for 2012: my first twin, my first biplane and a new waterplane. Funbuild 5 seems like a great way to motivate for the first on that list. Algy2 has just posted a control line Piper Apache for twin 1-1.5cc motors. This seems like an ideal candidate for an R/C electric conversion and it's screaming at me to get it built. So I'm in - my first fun build I can't wait

Simon
Last edited by Modelholic; Feb 01, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by Parkk
Clear !
Looking forward to your build, I've flown a few of those years ago!
Last edited by Parkk; Jan 07, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by jofrost
It flew once before...
Very cool subject Welcome to the Funbuild and looking forward to your build !

-John
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by Mapco
Simon

Good choice I got my multi rating in one back in 1961. Don't have much time right now to do this build but I'm looking at the Grumman XP50-2 Skyrocket It's the one with the long nose.
Good luck to all.

Sonny
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:58 AM
Find More Posts by Modelholic
It's been a few weeks since I last posted here. That doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about this build and making a little bit of progress.

First job get the plans printed. It's really great to be able to just e-mail the plans to the print shop, get them printed and just pick them up when ready. I had a set printed at the, as designed 37" span and two copies upsized to 50" - or 1/9th scale. This is the size to which I'm planning to build to.

There followed quite a few days of thinking about the redesign requirements to convert this control line model to radio control. Hopefully I've worked through a few of the issues but no doubt more will crop up as things progress.

I've treated myself to a set of E-flite electric retracts (15-25 size) and hope to use these. I've redrawn the nacelle formers as best I can to accommodate the retracts, repositioning the bearers to suit. Aileron and flap positions have been worked out.

The plan shows the tail feathers shaped from solid 1/2" sheet, this for the 37" span model. This didn't seem a good idea for an electric build so these have been built up on a 1/16" central core. The internal framework was added from strip and sheet, hinge blocks glued and drilled for the Robart pin hinges; then sanded to a hopefully appropriate section! The dremel was now pressed into action to add a series of lightening holes. Once happy more 1/16th was used to sheet all the tail components. A 2mm overlap on the sheeting was allowed on the fin and stabilizer to produce a hinge shroud. All leading and trailing edges were shaped, a little bit of filler, more sanding and so far so good.

Now I've gone and complicated things by committing to build a couple of small IPS prototypes for Peter Rake and having made that commitment this build will be pushed back a bit. I've got to the end of June right?! How long can a couple of small models take?!

I'm still waiting for a number of items to come off back order at Hobbyking for this build so I this one might take a while anyway. I'll keep updating here as things progress.

Simon
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by CESARNOGUEIRA
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
Man, you have a very good taste, indeed!

This is a wounderfull classic twin, hardly seen as a Rc model and after finished my present 3 builds (AN-22, Draken and a XB-42) this will be the next one!

Congrats from Brazil !