Jan 06, 2012, 11:56 PM
AKA MajorProps831
I just installed the MCP X battery/landing struts on the MSR X and used a ternary 240mah 1s Lipo and got almost 7.5 min of flight time. This might be an alternative to those who want an easy mod.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2012, 11:57 PM
Thread OP
@Druss, well you are partially right but it would not hurt if they just mentioned that is doesn't come with batteries. I am sure that most people, including me, after seeing BNF as a part of the name automatically assume that the product will be truly Bind-and-Fly, here it is more like BuyBattery-and-Fly.
It is not big deal because 5 batteries from HK with cheap shipping cost about 12 dollars but if I knew earlier I would order batteries when I ordered the heli so that I would have everything at the same time...
Jan 06, 2012, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
thanks for info Piccolo, I will look into that!
Jan 07, 2012, 03:01 AM
AKA MajorProps831
Quote:
Originally Posted by kml.krk
thanks for info Piccolo, I will look into that!
Stupid auto correct... ternergy 240mah 25c battery (for mcpx). I also made the micro to mcpx converter to connect the battery to the stock msrx esc connector.

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1325923249336.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 129.8 KB
Description:

Flies with no trim changes

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Last edited by piccolo831; Jan 07, 2012 at 03:30 AM.
Jan 07, 2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney
I had issues with mine and I solved them in the following manner.

1. Don't fly in the cold. Not only are the batteries affected by cold, but I also believe that the LVC is affected.

2. Use cut down mSR blades. They have lower profile drag than the stock blades which not only lowers drag but reduces the tail rotor requirement due to torque. Cutting down the blades raises the head RPM and the heli performs better in the wind.

3. Use the mSR main motor. Its a perfect fit, a bit shorter than the stock motor and likely has a lower Kv. The Sukhoi XP motor seems to be the same as the mSR motor and will work as well.

I now get 5 minutes from Turnigy 138mah cells (as long as its not cold).
Hi

Can you please tell how you cut down MSR blades?
Chord or length and how mutch?

Regards
Paul
Jan 07, 2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle_Plutt
Hi

Can you please tell how you cut down MSR blades?
Chord or length and how mutch?

Regards
Paul
The heli will fly OK with the stock motor and mSR blades, but because the headspeed is so low it doesn't behave well in wind.

You have 2 choices for cutting down the blades to your liking - chordwise or lengthwise.

I would recommend lengthwise because the blades might be more efficient at these lower headspeeds with a larger chord.

Try flying it first with the uncut mSR blades.

Then start by cutting off about 1/4" (6mm) from each tip.

If it jerks around, it is likely that the tracking is off. This is easily fixed by putting a tiny piece of colored tape near one blade tip and seeing which blade is higher or lower when rotating. If the blade with the tracking tape is too high you can twist it down and test it again.

I found that anything more than about 1/2" (12mm) cut from each tip was too much and the heli had poor vertical acceleration.

I have also tried the lower blades from a toy coax heli with good results. These were the same shape as mSR blades but appeared to have more pitch.

My rotor diameter is now about 5 7/8" (15cm)

It would be great if you could post back with your results.
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Jan 07, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Jun 04, 2017, 11:39 PM

msrx low voltage cut off (LVC) mod

I know this is an old thread, but figured I'd post in case someone is looking. I found out how to disable the LVC on my old msrx so that my heli doesn't shutdown after 2 mins with 3.8v left. Took me awhile to search and came upon this thread on helifreak below. All you have to do is remove the resistor in the photo below (courtesy of the thread below) and that's it! You just have to use a timer so you don't kill your battery. the thread below is about a brushless conversion, but I took a chance and went with the limited info and removed the resistor and it worked! now I run the battery down to 3.7v every time and get 3-4 mins of flight!

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=378560
Aug 04, 2019, 01:48 AM

Previous Thread

Not what I was expecting when I clicked "goldfish contest thread," but nice tank none the less Is it a typical 4x2x2 120 gallon? Looks really tall in the pictures.

Quick Reply