Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 25, 2017, 11:31 AM
Nope you cant call them. You can e mail them and they will just refer you to this forum, and you have to beg info from everyone else. And it takes days and weeks to get a reply. So there you sit with equipment you cant figure out how to use. I have the v3 system, and the basic radio and receiver work very well, but I still to this day cannot get the telemetry to work, and I am sure it is just something simple, because I am not a computer genius, but if you cant get a voice on the phone to walk you thru things and answer a few questions, it will take weeks of trial and error to figure it out. I just gave up and use just the basic set up with no telemetry. Really an expensive set up not to be able to utilize it. If you are very good with computers I am sure you will have no problems. But I am not so I am very disappointed that they just want your money and do not give a damn weather you can use the product or not. I had no way of knowing that it was this complicated to get it to work. I live in a very remote location so there are no flying clubs or other people within 150 miles to go to for help. And posting a question and waiting days for someone to reply is bs. Hope this helps. There has to be other companies out there with real customer support.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2017, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongsr
400ft AGL?
Correct, as real aircraft use 500' and above, there is a 100' buffer zone between. There are obviously exceptions to this in AMA rules and different flights areas, but in general these are the rules.
Dec 28, 2017, 12:32 AM
thank you
Feb 09, 2018, 12:16 PM
KF6HLN
Sub
Just wanna follow this helpful thread.

Thanks Brianshell. Loved the point about things being poorly or never ever documented. That drove me nuts (well, still does). It literally doesn't exist most of the time, and still makes me shake my head. I feel like it's a different era from our our JR 72Mhz days.

Oh, and #10 is excellent. 1,000% agree.

73, de KF6HLN
Last edited by ThomasCee; Feb 09, 2018 at 12:35 PM.
Feb 09, 2018, 02:37 PM
Hey since you're a ham are you using 5.8GHz for video? I ask because I have access to an analyzer for 5.8GHz+ and I've tested a couple of these RHCP cloverleaf antennas and you definitely get what you pay for. I'm wondering if anyone is documenting antenna performance anywhere on rcgroups or anywhere online?

I see a lot of people complaining about their 200mW VTX's being junk when it turns out the antenna is not a good 1:1 match on their TX frequency so some of the power is getting reflected back to the TX and heating/damaging it.
Feb 16, 2018, 04:42 PM
KF6HLN
Hey falcongsr! Sorry, I didn't look back and see your post. I am indeed using 5.8GHz video, and for sure have never been amazed by it's performance. Very nice though on the analyzer. Is it an SWR analyzer, and you can see SWR readings for the antennas? Cuz yes, that would be awesome. I have wondered about that issue much, but SWR meters often don't go up that high. The old HF ham bands were easy peasy, but even 144Mhz and 440Mhz (2meter and 70cm ham bands) capable SWR meters were getting expensive.
Feb 19, 2018, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCee
Is it an SWR analyzer, and you can see SWR readings for the antennas?
It's a network analyzer at a company, not something I own. It measures return loss which can be converted to SWR. Most VTX antennas are around 2:1 SWR which sounds okay but if you have a 200mW VTX at 2:1 SWR that means only 144mW is getting radiated and 66mW is reflecting back to the transmitter and getting converted to heat.

you can subscribe to the thread and get notifications when people post more. either emails or you can check your user control panel: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/usercp.php
Mar 23, 2018, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshell
Lesson 3) A lot of this gear doesn't work with each other. Do a LOT of homework before you buy stuff to make sure it's all going to be compatible. (Example, I bought a pair of FoxTech goggles, only to learn that the built-in receiver wouldn't work with my ImmersionRC transmitter!). A little research before my purchase would have saved me a lot of headaches here. It simply did not occur to me that a 5.8ghz receiver might not be compatible with another 5.8ghz transmitter. Another example? None of the head-tracking systems will work with my JR-9503. Choose your gear carefully.
How do I figure out what protocols will work together?

I've been using this camera/transmitter with my old hubsan H107D 5.8ghz reciever. its been working great but now i want to use my mate 808 camera for some lite aerial photography so I got this transmitter but I can't seem to get it to work. Any reason why these would be incompatible?
Apr 14, 2018, 06:23 PM
thanks for the tips
May 09, 2018, 11:18 AM

info overload

R/c ing for over 50 years but completely new to FPV. At this point I have bought a pair of Headplay googles and a nice little Nano Talon airframe. By overload I mean that I am unsure as to what aircraft equipment I need to purchase. Currently my desire is to fly no more then 2 miles out and would like to buy a high quality camera with OSD. I see this as a KISS setup and am looking for a vendor that can supply my with this equipment that does offer some USA support. Thanks, donnie
Oct 06, 2018, 05:04 AM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert

Cut my FPV cherry today!!!

Just had my first Fpv flight. And i am totally mega stoked.
We did quite a few test flights over the last few weeks with a seperate pilot / viewer to check the gear was working solid and well, there were no more excuses left - it was put up or shut up.
It went great and I was very happy with the view and how the plane went etc. No fear of getting lost etc it really was great. I had my Son spotting (hes 9years old) and calling the height for landing etc he did great.
He will be next to Fpv.
I read the 10 things to do and it all worked, it saved me money and was a great success thanks to all who posted good advice.

My very simple setup is this -
Plane similar to a slow stick but bigger and well proven with many non fpv flights on it and setup to fly soft,
25mw Camera Transmitter tiny one of HK,
Seperate tx/cam battery 1s 600mah,
pan servo on a switch, fwd/left/right selectable,
eachine 800dvr goggles with just the clover antenna on it and on single receiver B,

the camera/tx and battery well away from the power system and receiver,

I found the pan was fun but in no way needed to fly the plane as the forward view was excellent.
I never even noticed the front prop at all while flying.

Thanks for all the posts that I poured over before trying it all with tons of great advice, my success is dedicated to you all!.
Matt and Austy.
Oct 06, 2018, 05:08 AM
A pic of the fpv stick.
Oct 06, 2018, 05:11 AM
My son is going to Fpv with this little scout when hes ready, its been fully tested and is ready.
Oct 12, 2018, 04:28 PM
EstebanFPV
soo right i just got an FT spear. need wide spaces and not much pressure
Oct 16, 2018, 10:28 PM
Me and my son have now done a few more FPV flights and are loving it.

In anticipation of higher or slightly further flying away, I've ordered a seperate Tx and Decent camera for the stick. I don't want to go far just want to go up from the 25mw one I am using.

I have to say - the little 25mw one is doing great, we fly all around the club area no problems at all. I would like to use the seperate Tx so I can locate the antenna below the plane, which I think will help a lot.

Quick Reply