Top 10 things I wish I'd paid attention to when getting started in FPV. - Page 27 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 19, 2017, 11:33 AM
Me and my fellow lost 3 FPV models in the last years, in each case the conditions were such kind that no RTH would bring the platform back.
Since then we invest more in solutions for finding the wrecks, than an hypothetical "return to forever"
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2017, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Me and my fellow lost 3 FPV models in the last years, in each case the conditions were such kind that no RTH would bring the platform back.
Since then we invest more in solutions for finding the wrecks, than an hypothetical "return to forever"
I'd love to hear the stories of how those wrecks came about! It's those tales that help newcomers avoid steep learning curves
Feb 19, 2017, 05:19 PM
WJH
WJH
Re-Born Foam Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Were you flying under trees? Down a steep mountain? Between buildings?
Mar 01, 2017, 08:19 AM
At 0km far, 600m high, in a 60 kmph wind
Mar 16, 2017, 02:52 AM
Thank you for your post.
Apr 27, 2017, 09:03 AM

FPV spectrum

Know where you are.. and where your buddies are. Quick guide

[img][image]
May 24, 2017, 04:20 PM
for a guy with more cash than god, and expertise in every and all, one'd think he could not make the same point (common sense is good) with every point while managing plenty of good ol' boys sexism for good measure. kinda surprised this one made the sticky bus - - generally denizens of this particular forum aren't duped by dweebs. but maybe it's just that time of the month.
Jun 12, 2017, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
hopes these tips guide me through the new journey, cant wait to have one. Explore the new adventure.
Jul 08, 2017, 06:43 PM

If i could do it over...

If I could start all over, I would never buy the best quality I could afford. Now I never build a single quad (or RTF model). I only buy something if I can afford 2 or more of them. For the first year I spent all the time working on 1 quad with top of the line components and when something went wrong I was stuck with discharging the rest of my batteries to storage level and rebuilding. Now I only go to the field with a minimum of 2 identical quads, so if there's a component failure or crash...I can fly the rest of my batteries, and enjoy the rest of the day...and rebuild the other one whenever.

Nothing is more frustrating when you're starting out, than you drive to your place & crash on your 1st battery.

Basically always have a backup of everything...and your life will be much less filled with frustration! I think you will have more fun with 2 of a cheaper model than just 1 top of the line model you're scared of crashing... Once you've been flying for years and hardly ever crash, then go for your dream components.
Jul 10, 2017, 12:56 AM
I love flying homemade foamboard planes. Crash and no worry.
Jul 18, 2017, 04:26 PM
General R/C Addict

Top Thing for me

The absolute TOP thing for me:

I wish that I never heard or read about Horizon or Angle mode.

There is nothing but Acro or Air mode or whatever your quad calls it,

Any other mode of flight is not for quad racing that is for sure and is a total waste of your time.

In fact it can build really bad habits and hold you back.

Time wasted and the loss of all those electrons!

I can never get that back.
Jul 18, 2017, 04:36 PM
General R/C Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVogler
If I could start all over, I would never buy the best quality I could afford. Now I never build a single quad (or RTF model). I only buy something if I can afford 2 or more of them. For the first year I spent all the time working on 1 quad with top of the line components and when something went wrong I was stuck with discharging the rest of my batteries to storage level and rebuilding. Now I only go to the field with a minimum of 2 identical quads, so if there's a component failure or crash...I can fly the rest of my batteries, and enjoy the rest of the day...and rebuild the other one whenever.

Nothing is more frustrating when you're starting out, than you drive to your place & crash on your 1st battery.
I guess I am doing the same, only different.

I have 3 DIFFERENT quads so that I do not get held back by a crash at the filed.

But also so I am not dead due to some part made in china that is not available anywhere here in the states.

That way I am not limited or stopped dead because of a flight controller or Vtx that is no longer available or whatever .....

Granted you have to break two before your day is over......it can happen over time, so I went with 3 different models and I like the diversity of experience with different flight controllers, etc....one runs Clean Flight the other Beta Flight, etc.....

My current Quads are:

Vortex 250 Pro UmmaGaud SE
Blade Theory XL5" RTF
Lumenier QAV-XS Stretch "Code Red" SE from GetFPV

-Tom
Jul 20, 2017, 01:54 AM
FPV is not only quad racing...
Jul 22, 2017, 02:55 PM
The latest, fastest parts at little if any better than average parts . Today's average parts are literally yesterday's elite parts. Having the most power doesn't mean best flying.
Jul 22, 2017, 03:02 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2
... Having the most power doesn't mean best flying.
+ a billion