Mar 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
AMA 1034020
The bec weight's 4oz, the 58 will never know it's there.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCH
The bec weight's 4oz, the 58 will never know it's there.
I agree, but in my situation the bec is no better then the one built in the esc, so it's weight I can save. If I was using a cheapie esc then I would most definitely do it.
Mar 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn
stupid question but you have the canopy on when you balance right? and you mounted the motor as far out as the cowl will allow with about 1/8" overlap on the canopy? i have an ounce and a half of weight on my firewall and everything is mounted as far forward as i can get it. ESC, BEC, etc... my batteries are about 2/3 under the cowl but i came up with a way to get the batteries in a little easier but still not ideal. its holding up after 15-20 flights now though.
Yep, I have the canopy on. I mounted the motor with 1/2 in standoffs so its far out. How heavy are your batteries?
Mar 18, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97
Yep, I have the canopy on. I mounted the motor with 1/2 in standoffs so its far out. How heavy are your batteries?
Mine are almost the exact same weight. 3s 2200 25c gens ace packs with shortened leads. Only 1/2" spacers? Your running the 4315 right? I have the longer 3620 and i have 3/4" of spacers if i remember right. How much cowl is overlapping the canopy on the top of the fuse?
Mar 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Quote:
Mine are almost the exact same weight. 3s 2200 25c gens ace packs with shortened leads. Only 1/2" spacers? Your running the 4315 right? I have the longer 3620 and i have 3/4" of spacers if i remember right. How much cowl is overlapping the canopy on the top of the fuse?
I'm not exactly sure but I think about 3/8 to 7/16.
Mar 18, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
sounds like that might be part of the problem. when i had more than 1/4" overlap i had to add 3oz of weight to balance. moving the motor out another 1/4" and only having 1/8' overlap and dealing with a 3/16 spinner gap i got the weight down to 1.5oz and the batteries back just far enough to facilitate pack changes. sounds like you can do one of three things. either build a shelf for the batteries to sit under against the firewall and add/remove weight to get your desired balance, move the motor out farther, or add more weight and fly like it is. i don't think more weight will affect performance until you get above the 5oz mark. that motor should have plenty of pull even then.
Mar 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Quote:
sounds like that might be part of the problem. when i had more than 1/4" overlap i had to add 3oz of weight to balance. moving the motor out another 1/4" and only having 1/8' overlap and dealing with a 3/16 spinner gap i got the weight down to 1.5oz and the batteries back just far enough to facilitate pack changes. sounds like you can do one of three things. either build a shelf for the batteries to sit under against the firewall and add/remove weight to get your desired balance, move the motor out farther, or add more weight and fly like it is. i don't think more weight will affect performance until you get above the 5oz mark. that motor should have plenty of pull even then.
Yeah my batteries are extremely light. Together they weigh 360g and some people are putting 500g batteries in these size planes. That's like 4.5 oz in difference so I think I'm good with the extra weight.

What is the ideal weight for this airplane?
Mar 18, 2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
That could be why my batteries are pretty close to the firewall, I think I used 1/4" or 3/8" spacers for my motrolfly 4315.
Mar 19, 2012, 03:16 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
Quote:
Yeah my batteries are extremely light. Together they weigh 360g and some people are putting 500g batteries in these size planes. That's like 4.5 oz in difference so I think I'm good with the extra weight.

i think if you can keep it under 5.5lbs then you will be more than fine. this plane seems to like to fly faster than my 57 ever did but i have never had the chance to fly them back to back. i will soon seeing as how i just finished building my back up 57 and just need to do the radio setup and find my cg. but at that weight you should be fine. prop it for about 55 to 60A on 6s and fly it. if it drops too fast for your liking then worry about changing things to allow you to drop some weight. the added weight might even have some positive effects for maneuvers requiring some momentum. this plane is a harrier monster even without the SFG's. as far as SFG's go i would just fly it with whatever you think looks best and not even worry about flying it the other way. there is a little difference but i was surprised at how well it flew both ways.
Mar 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:

Quote:
i think if you can keep it under 5.5lbs then you will be more than fine. this plane seems to like to fly faster than my 57 ever did but i have never had the chance to fly them back to back. i will soon seeing as how i just finished building my back up 57 and just need to do the radio setup and find my cg. but at that weight you should be fine. prop it for about 55 to 60A on 6s and fly it. if it drops too fast for your liking then worry about changing things to allow you to drop some weight. the added weight might even have some positive effects for maneuvers requiring some momentum. this plane is a harrier monster even without the SFG's. as far as SFG's go i would just fly it with whatever you think looks best and not even worry about flying it the other way. there is a little difference but i was surprised at how well it flew both ways.
I was able to maiden my 58" Edge yesterday Even though it was windy (15+) my 51 Slick did fine, so I figured the 58 Edge would do fine, and I was not disappointed. CG at 3.75 per recommendation was perfect. No trim adjustments required at all! Flying with 2x3S2800 batteries, with each battery weighing 236g so a total battery weight of 472g. Battery placement an inch or so behind the firewall (because I added 2oz nose weight). Instead of a plywood plate, I used a velcro harness underneath the cowl to secure the front portion of the battery, and I think this will work pretty good. The plane flew amazing, very light, perfectly neutral when inverted, stall tendencies non existent. Harriers really well, hovers were interesting because the wind kept pushing me across the field! Knife edge with the SFGs on was super easy (except for fighting the wind). The motor and battery combo is amazing - super power! Can't wait for more stick time with this awesome plane. No flight video - need to work on a hat cam!!
Mar 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
congrats! glad to hear it went well! what is your final ready to fly weight?
Mar 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
congrats! glad to hear it went well! what is your final ready to fly weight?
Don't know....have to find a decent scale.
All I know is that it flies like a dream.
Mar 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974
I was able to maiden my 58" Edge yesterday Even though it was windy (15+) my 51 Slick did fine, so I figured the 58 Edge would do fine, and I was not disappointed. CG at 3.75 per recommendation was perfect. No trim adjustments required at all! Flying with 2x3S2800 batteries, with each battery weighing 236g so a total battery weight of 472g. Battery placement an inch or so behind the firewall (because I added 2oz nose weight). Instead of a plywood plate, I used a velcro harness underneath the cowl to secure the front portion of the battery, and I think this will work pretty good. The plane flew amazing, very light, perfectly neutral when inverted, stall tendencies non existent. Harriers really well, hovers were interesting because the wind kept pushing me across the field! Knife edge with the SFGs on was super easy (except for fighting the wind). The motor and battery combo is amazing - super power! Can't wait for more stick time with this awesome plane. No flight video - need to work on a hat cam!!
Sweet
ping pong any one?
Mar 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285
Sweet
ping pong any one?
best auxiliary workbench ever! perfect size for finaly assembly and cg/balancing, and also lots of fun to play...except my 13yr old and 15yr old boys have been playing for years and now their improved skills and better reflexes are getting the better of me and my wife.
Mar 19, 2012, 04:17 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
Finally flew the edge with no wind all I can say is Wow, I usually fly high rates all the time, not with this plane it's so responsive I flew mid rates and had a ball. I had problems with the hacker a40-10s so I changed it to a motrolfly 4315-714 on 4s4000 15 X 8 xoar, castle lite 100. Can you say pull-out. With the 4315 I took all 3 oz of lead out and the batt is about an inch from the firewall. can you say pull-out. lol

Quick Reply