Jul 31, 2012, 04:48 PM
Does anyone have experience with the airboss esc's? how do they compare to Castle? also Ive heard good things about the ZTW ones, how are they compared to castle? i love my ice 100 but I dont want to spend that much this time.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake
Does anyone have experience with the airboss esc's? how do they compare to Castle? also Ive heard good things about the ZTW ones, how are they compared to castle? i love my ice 100 but I dont want to spend that much this time.
I haven't used the Airboss ESC's but ZTW esc's are my current go to brand...they work well, they are not overly expensive and there is a good selection.

http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW_Brus...rols_s/370.htm sells em...many of us have reported excellent results with these ESC's.
Last edited by SnowDog1974; Aug 02, 2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: fixed URL; thanks Doug
Jul 31, 2012, 05:38 PM
Fly low or fly home.
I always check my links.
Jul 31, 2012, 05:46 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake
i had the airboss in my 48exp and it worked fine. The only "characteristic" i noticed was a very common stuttering when starting up from 0 RPM to a low idle. It would pulse and stutter for a second before coming up to idle. They said it's very common and easiest thing was to bump up idle trim so that even at lowest throttle stick position, you have the prop still spinning. I don't know if the Airboss 85 does the same thing.

I have ZTWs as well and they are flawless. Only issue with them is they don't put out 6V to the RX. No big deal unless you're going with HV servos at which point you'll probably use a BEC anyway.
Aug 02, 2012, 08:41 AM
Proverbs 12:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974
www.quantumhobbies.com sells em...many of us have reported excellent results with these ESC's.
Some help for a brother...

http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW_Brus...rols_s/370.htm

Doug B.
Aug 02, 2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo
thanks doug...I usually copy and paste the link, but this time I thought I could do it by typing it manually...du-oh!
Aug 02, 2012, 12:52 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
I've heard good things about airboss ESC's...although I've never owned one.
Aug 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
thanks doug...I usually copy and paste the link, but this time I thought I could do it by typing it manually...du-oh!
You're welcome. You've been helpful in other threads, I'm just playing along.

I'm a happy Quantum Hobby customer. Although I have not tried the ZTW ESC's yet the brand seems to have many happy users. FWIW, I run CC, YGE and Hacker ESC's.

Doug B.
Aug 04, 2012, 03:51 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
I maidened my edge this morning after completeing a couple of mods last night. I went w/ the battery tray mod and added 1 1/2 oz. to the front and my result was a perfect cg. After I was in the air i think i had to move two clicks of up elevator and that was it. The cg seemed to be dead on with the batteries i was using ( 2x 3c 2800 40c) as I had them 1/2 inch away from the fire wall. After seeing how the plane was so solid in a harrier I decided to harrier land and it was as smooth as my slick 51. I would never harrier land a plane on my first run with a steady cross wind( not sure if plane has any bad habits) but with this edge i had no doughts at all. I tested a couple of 2200 lipos and I think i liked the lighter set-up better. With this plane being so solid on harriers and knife edge I am not sure if I will even put the sfg's on. Anyone think trying the sfg's will be worth it???

Thanks again Mike for the manual and advice. Motor choice could not be better.
Eric
Aug 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Try em....then decide. I run the SFG's all the time. Improved rudder authority for me....puts it in the HOLY COW range of rudder authority...
Aug 05, 2012, 07:14 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens
Try em....then decide. I run the SFG's all the time. Improved rudder authority for me....puts it in the HOLY COW range of rudder authority...
I'll give it a try. Thanks
Aug 05, 2012, 07:23 PM
Perhaps this is a little off topic but I think its ridiculous that 6 volts isn't standard on a esc's bec, craziness.
Aug 05, 2012, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult
I maidened my edge this morning after completeing a couple of mods last night. I went w/ the battery tray mod and added 1 1/2 oz. to the front and my result was a perfect cg. After I was in the air i think i had to move two clicks of up elevator and that was it. The cg seemed to be dead on with the batteries i was using ( 2x 3c 2800 40c) as I had them 1/2 inch away from the fire wall. After seeing how the plane was so solid in a harrier I decided to harrier land and it was as smooth as my slick 51. I would never harrier land a plane on my first run with a steady cross wind( not sure if plane has any bad habits) but with this edge i had no doughts at all. I tested a couple of 2200 lipos and I think i liked the lighter set-up better. With this plane being so solid on harriers and knife edge I am not sure if I will even put the sfg's on. Anyone think trying the sfg's will be worth it???

Thanks again Mike for the manual and advice. Motor choice could not be better.
Eric
Eric, great news on the maiden! Harrier landing too...sweet! I use the SFG's and I like them.
I just put my Motrofly sticker on the front of the cockpit of my Edge...looks sweet! I was out flying in 15-20mph winds this morning and it did not bother this plane one bit...I was doing some low harrier work with it even in these winds today...super stable and fun! Also, I emailed the manual to Arron and he said he liked it and that they would use it as the manual for this plane...but I haven't seen it posted on the 3DHS web site yet.
Would love to see some videos of your flight if/when you have a chance.
Regards,
Mike
Aug 07, 2012, 04:23 PM

58" Edge Manual

I updated the installation manual for the 55" Edge to cover this version of the airframe and sent it to Arron who said it was acceptable, so I'm going to post it here until such time as the web site gets updated with a link to the manual.

Let me know if you find any issues or have any suggestions to improve the manual.

Ok, RCG says my PDF is too big to attach to the forum post, so I've uploaded it to another website and you can download it from there. Once the official version is posted on the 3DHS web site, I will remove this copy.

http://www.mschulz.net/filedrop/3DH-...l_DRAFT_MS.pdf

Regards,
Mike
Last edited by SnowDog1974; Aug 07, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Aug 07, 2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
I updated the installation manual for the 55" Edge to cover this version of the airframe and sent it to Arron who said it was acceptable, so I'm going to post it here until such time as the web site gets updated with a link to the manual.
Thanks!

Doug B.

Quick Reply