Jan 06, 2012, 11:34 PM

Pete

I think being able to look in through the elevator's open door, and see an interior , would look really trick. I am sort of surprised that with all the add on details, no one has done any interior stuff. I never took a camera when I went on board, as so much is either restricted, or common sense says, outsiders don't need to know. Wish I could help more. Charlie
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2012, 07:48 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Not a problem CB. I think there are enough pics on the carrier building site to get all the detail I can use. I still have to leave the hanger deck so that it can be removed so that rules out a lot.
I once went on a guided missel ship in Jacksonville and took my camera with me. It didn't take long for the SP to tell me the camera had to be checked and that I could get it back when I left the ship. No pics from that trip. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Jan 09, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Jan 09, 2012, 06:36 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Finished laying the hanger deck planks last night. It's in two pieces so it's removable without a lot of effort. I have also found that not only can the middle flight deck section be made removable but the aft flight deck section can too. Drill a couple of premarked holes in the deck and the screws go right into two holes directly under. So that's a good thing. The two sections reveal the whole area where any RC equipment will be making it easy to get to the batts ect.
Got two rattle cans of Rustolium paint today. One dark gray and one light gray. Should be more than enough to paint the whole kit.
Now I think I'd better work on the drive train and the RC stuff. Lots of fabrication to do there. pete
Jan 09, 2012, 09:19 PM
Sweet!

Jeff
Jan 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Working on the props and shafts for the CVN-65 and the kit props arn't going to get it. The blades are far too flimsy. Soooooooo it's on to brass props. I've found five-blade props at Cornwall but everything is in metric.
What I need is a 11/16ths brass prop with five blades with a .093 shaft hole and 4-40 right hand threads or I can thread the prop myself.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe somebody in the states sells them. pete
Last edited by norgale; Jan 16, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Jan 17, 2012, 12:23 PM
Stilwell Shipyard

Dremel

A Dremel cutoff wheel would work OK on the straight sections.

Where do you plan to sail her? I would like to come and watch.

Larry
Jan 17, 2012, 08:50 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Hey Larry. It will probably sail once in the park swimming pool and then sit on the shelf with the rest of my boats. I'm not real big on running my boats because charging batteries all the time is a PITA. I build them,sail them to see if they work and then go on to another build. Guess I'm more of builder than a sailor. Pete
Jan 17, 2012, 10:41 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
My 20 year old Dremel lost it's balls when the bearing in the front blew up at 30,000 RPM so now I need a new one. Problem with the Dremel is it goes too fast to cut plastic. It just melts it and makes a big mess.
Anyway I got the bow elevator door cut out and sanded pretty good for now. Needs a little touch up but so does the whole hanger deck. Lots to do there yet. Couldn't resist putting the airplanes out again and took a couple pictures. Pete
Jan 17, 2012, 11:08 PM

Pete

That is going to look cool! I have contemplated what you are doing, but just for display. Probably will never get to it, as I prefer to build, and run, my r/c tugs. I am enjoying watching. Charlie
Jan 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Thanks for that Charlie and glad your interested. One thing I really like about this kit is all the detail. It's big enough to show a lot and I'm very impressed with the aircraft too. They look great for such a small item. There are about 80 or so aircraft on the E at any given time but I think I got carried away buying the extra plane sets. Probably have more than will fit on the model even with the hanger deck. I'll have to paint all the little buggers and put the teenyweeny decals on too for them to look right so that will take many hours to accomplish. See how that turns out. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Jan 18, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
Jan 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Need to fold those helo blades up for below deck storage.
Jan 18, 2012, 09:03 AM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Your right seadog and there are rotor blades in the folded position provided in the kit. I have to cut and fold the wings on many of the fighter planes too.
I just took all the aircraft out and lined them up on my workboard and there are just 80 of them. I really thought there were more. However with 80 aircraft onboard, the model will be very crowded and I suspect that the real "E" was crowded too. I do need more deck handling equipment though. Have to try and find a way to get them from Yamiya maybe. Pete
Jan 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
Tin Can Sailor
HOLY MOLY!!! You'll have to stick some of those planes in the berthing compartment! You'll have your work cut out detailing all those. Can't wait to see the final result.
Jan 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
got some extras don't know what to do with.... working catapult

some very very nice building going on.... I keep eyeballing the 1/350 and larger modern warship models ... but my plate is full with WW2 stuff right now heh...

hope it sees the water more then once!

Quick Reply