New Journey - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 04, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Discussion

New Journey

I could not reply to my own thread...... so... I find my self in the same predicament I was in 2 years ago... trying to get a Journey finished for my journey...... to SWC.

Anyway... here's what the second iteration looks like. It has more dihedral at the primary dihedral break, and a larger vertical fin and rudder. I was disappointed with the handling of the original, and the outboard panels were too heavy. These are lighter.

I'll see how this one goes... and I have another set of ribs... If it is greatly improved as I expect, I'll modify the original with a new wing and these tails...

See you all at SWC!

Darth Wind Bag
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2012, 11:07 AM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
That's a pretty model, Jack!

tk
Jan 04, 2012, 11:16 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
I wish I had as much building time as you Jack! FYI, that is a sweet looking bird! Fill us (me) in on details. I know I've heard of this but is it your design? If not, where is it available?

Kurt
Jan 04, 2012, 11:16 AM
Oh, now your making me want one of these Very Nice!

Eddie
Jan 04, 2012, 11:43 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Yes, it's my design... kind of a Yardbird on stearoids... It MAY be available in kit form... I think there's a chance of that, depending on this one's performance...

The original is what I'm holding in my avatar....
Last edited by schrederman; Jan 04, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Jan 04, 2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Yes, it's my design... kind of a Yardbird on stearoids... It MAY be available in kit form... I think there's a chance of that, depending on this one's performance...

The original is what I'm holding in my avatar....
Looks really nice.... what span? airfoil?
Jan 04, 2012, 01:18 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Span 140"... S3014 airfoil... No actuator arc in sides of the fin. The actuator sticks out the front of the fin and the stabs plug onto it. This one has a ballast tube and cf pushrods. I may get it flying at 60 oz. or less.

Thanks for the kind words, gents...
Jan 04, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
I was doing a little looking back into the old Journey thread. The wing area is 1228 sq. in. At 60 oz., the wing loading will be 7.03 oz. per square foot. I may build some lighter stabs and be able to cut that down a bit more. These stabs weigh 1.5 oz. I think I can cut that down by at least 1/2 oz. If the kit comes with a composite fin, another oz. or more could be taken off. Bear in mind that tail weight can be compounded by the amount of nose weight that can be removed... or... that must be added...

Darth Light in the Tail...
Jan 04, 2012, 06:08 PM
winds light to variable
Quote:
No actuator arc in sides of the fin. The actuator sticks out the front of the fin and the stabs plug onto it.
Now here's a practical alternative to a fiddly convention. Got me thinking you have.
Jan 04, 2012, 09:11 PM
Suspended Account
Great to see the Mk.II version on the bench Jack, still a huge fan of this concept and one day..... would love to build one as an ultimate kind of woody.
Will be watching carefully.
Jan 05, 2012, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Span 140"... S3014 airfoil... No actuator arc in sides of the fin. The actuator sticks out the front of the fin and the stabs plug onto it. This one has a ballast tube and cf pushrods. I may get it flying at 60 oz. or less.

Thanks for the kind words, gents...

Question for you Jack, S3014? Any reason for this vs. S3021? The S3014, from simple observation appears to be my symmetrical than the S3021. Just wondering.

Reason why I asked is the S3014 is much closer to the E205 than the S3021. Since I have a NIB Sagitta and have been kicking around the idea of changing the airfoil, the E205 to S3014 transition would be less time consuming.
Kurt
Last edited by kzimmerm; Jan 05, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Jan 05, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Kurt,

The S3014 is a bit thinner than the S3021, and the model will penetrate better, and has a better glide ratio with this airfoil. It floats and slows as well as the S3021, but when you need legs... you need legs. I fly in more wind than most, hence the airfoil choice. A Sagitta with the S3014 would probably be a bit of an enhancement over the old 205.

Enjoy...

Darth Windy
Jan 06, 2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Kurt,

The S3014 is a bit thinner than the S3021, and the model will penetrate better, and has a better glide ratio with this airfoil. It floats and slows as well as the S3021, but when you need legs... you need legs. I fly in more wind than most, hence the airfoil choice. A Sagitta with the S3014 would probably be a bit of an enhancement over the old 205.

Enjoy...

Darth Windy
OK Mr. DW... you got me sold. From my observation, with a little extra effort I'd get better performance.... Works for me...

FYI, I really don't have much of a choice when I fly. I'll go out in wind, overcast, heat... no matter. It is more when I'm free vs picking the best weather. Often times I don't have much choice.

So where are you on finishing the Journey? Your building logs are quite inspiring.

Kurt
Jan 06, 2012, 08:27 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
I'll be finishing the spoilers and finish sanding her this weekend... and beginning the covering. Thanks Kurt... for the kind words.
Jan 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Looks like a Marauder tail...