Jan 02, 2012, 12:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What's up with Hobby Lobby? Are they going out of business?

I suppose I could have asked this in any number of forums...but you guys here in the Foamy EDF world seem to know what's what...

So what's going on with them? The no show at the NEAT fair made me worry when their presence there was so important in past years....now looking over their web page, trying to figure out how to put my Christmas gift card to use, it looks like 75% of the items listed on their page are out of stock.

to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2012, 04:34 PM
Thread OP
Am I the only one seeing this?
Jan 02, 2012, 07:23 PM
Well I rarely shop there because the prices are stupidly expensive, unless is one of their big sales, and they are not a good as they used to be.....
I like their little 64mm f-86 sabres....nice deal when they are on sale!
I would not be surprised if they are having trouble competing with Horizon (amazing customer services) and Nitroplanes/hobbypartz/X-heli with their excellent prices (but crappy customer service)....
Jan 03, 2012, 07:30 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Never mind.
Mike
Jan 04, 2012, 06:07 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Hobby Lobby used to be where you got all of the cool stuff from Germany. Now they don't carry Graupner and there isn't a single Aeronaut plane for sale on the website. I don't see them lasting without the stuff that made them special.
Jan 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
Lt Col, USAF
They've been in a terrible rut with regard to R/C airplanes for a very long time. I bought no less than 7 planes from them in 2009/2010 and didn't buy even one in 2011.

It looks like their best planes are 2 years old and constantly out of stock - The twin Su-34, F/A-18E, Eurofighter and 70mm F-35 are pretty impressive- they are also on the expensive side. That horrendous SebArt Mig flop couldn't have helped matters any.

I'd sure like to see them bounce back to form - They used to be something special not too long ago. Great "crash sales" on high-quality planes in the $150-$300 range, great customer service and everything. I hardly even check their site once a month now.
Jan 04, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hawk Fanatic
I didn't buy from them at all over this last year of 2011. In 2010, I bought their 1/4 scale Piper SuperCruiser. I still fly it and it is an awesome plane. But I noticed that the majority of their planes are out of stock. My very first EDF jet came from them. The 70mm F-5. I miss that plane. It was slow but oh so very cool.

I haven't seen their crash sale in a long time and I miss having those emails. Well not all, I didn't consider "free" shipping to be a crash sale item, but it happened. When they sold the 1/4 Scale SuperCruiser on the crash sale it was marked all the way down to $299 from the $500+ regular price. I hope they don't go out of business, because if everyone starts going belly up, then prices will start to go up without competition.
Jan 04, 2012, 08:13 PM

Hobby Lobby has Great Service

I purchased the Eurofighter...6 flights in a love it. They are close to me and ground only takes 3days. Wish they would increase some of there selection. I must say the Eurofighter is very good in quality compaired to the Blitz RC f-18 I got from BH.

Jeff
Jan 04, 2012, 09:19 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
What Sebart mig flop are you referring to?
It's not selling well you mean?
Or critical issues with the jet?
I was thinking of picking one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt
They've been in a terrible rut with regard to R/C airplanes for a very long time. I bought no less than 7 planes from them in 2009/2010 and didn't buy even one in 2011.

It looks like their best planes are 2 years old and constantly out of stock - The twin Su-34, F/A-18E, Eurofighter and 70mm F-35 are pretty impressive- they are also on the expensive side. That horrendous SebArt Mig flop couldn't have helped matters any.

I'd sure like to see them bounce back to form - They used to be something special not too long ago. Great "crash sales" on high-quality planes in the $150-$300 range, great customer service and everything. I hardly even check their site once a month now.
Jan 04, 2012, 09:26 PM
Lt Col, USAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555
What Sebart mig flop are you referring to?
It's not selling well you mean?
Or critical issues with the jet?
I was thinking of picking one up.
I should have tempered that with the standard "IMHO" tag... I followed the Seb Mig-29 thread when I first heard about it, and was pretty interested initially. I soon saw one in person and it just wasn't nearly worth the colossal amount of money that was being demanded. It is worth noting that Hobby Lobby claimed no involvement in the pricing since it was something of a middle man in the deal with Sebart calling the shots. That's not their normal way of doing things, either.

Overall the sales just weren't impressive, the thing does fly very well, and if you can forget the price and pretend it was $250 you will probably be thrilled to death with it. However, honestly it isn't leaps and bounds above what is offered in the $200 range and it just seemed silly to me that people would be asked to pay over $500 for something that doesn't even have landing gear. Ownership on here does not appear to be very high.

All of this is totally my own opinion - There are people who will defend it as a high-quality offering, but it's not like it comes out of the box with futaba servos, e-flite retracts, and hoffman motors. It's an above average EDF at a WAY above average price and it was out of line with HL's normal sales approach.
Jan 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Electric Member
I can mirror the used to buy there a lot statement. In 2010 17 planes from them. One in 2011. Seems they have had a management focus shift. Cars seem to be the focus. Maybe Helis. Have not seen anything worth considering for a long time.
Jan 08, 2012, 11:06 AM
Anyone familiar with the Change Sun 12 blade. I am buying the new (improved) Euro fighter from Hobby Lobby "awsome jet", I will be cutting the rudder and adding the servo, but I am interested to know if there will be a problem using the stock 1750KV freewing, stock ESC 85A, WITH 2X GENS ACE 5300mah 3S1P 11.1V 30C Lipo. can someone offer advice on this set-up please. I am not sure of the calculations on the thrust and should I change the ESC to 100a?
Jan 08, 2012, 11:11 AM
EDF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.foden
Anyone familiar with the Change Sun 12 blade. I am buying the new (improved) Euro fighter from Hobby Lobby "awsome jet", I will be cutting the rudder and adding the servo, but I am interested to know if there will be a problem using the stock 1750KV freewing, stock ESC 85A, WITH 2X GENS ACE 5300mah 3S1P 11.1V 30C Lipo. can someone offer advice on this set-up please. I am not sure of the calculations on the thrust and should I change the ESC to 100a?

You might get better help here:

Change Sun 12 blade thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1520120

Hobby Lobby Eurofighter thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1198859
Jan 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
I agree with everything being said. I bought their F-18E in 2010 and purchased nothing in 2011 and judging from their selections I won't be buying from them in 2012 either.
Jan 08, 2012, 07:40 PM
Thank you, Appriciate your time!
John

Quick Reply