Jan 01, 2012, 06:25 PM
treefinder
Build Log

OSA-hs --OneSheetAeronca Chief half sheet is OnSheeter#8

So there I was with this half sheet of DS foam......

It's funny, doing the indoor thing has got the juices flowing to make planes small and light enough to "comfortably" fly in small spaces where the typical OneSheeters have problems (at least I have problems...). Since the BnF Champ seems to be the most common micro flyer around, I started looking at Aeroncas and discovered the Chief, the Champ's lesser known brother. As I understand it, many parts were interchangeable between the two planes in their different versions, so there's a lot of similarity.

So, here's the Plane, still made from half a sheet of Dollar Store foamcore.

Span: 24 5/8", Chord 4"
OAL: 14 3/4"
OAW: 3.11 oz (88gm) with 2s 180mah battery

Motor HK 10 gram outrunner (either 2100 or 2500kv, can't remember)
GWS 5043 prop (I'm also gonna try 5030 and 4025 next time out)
10 amp esc
2 - 2.5gm servos
HK 2.4ghz 3 ch RX for use with Turnigy ER9X radio

One sheet Aeronca halfsheeter (1 min 46 sec)
Last edited by springer; Jan 04, 2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added vid
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
treefinder

Cut sheets

Here's the cut sheets: The tiled one for the OSA-hs, the half sheet size will print out on 4 letter size pages. The full sheet OSA-rb prints to 8 letter size pages.

Note: files updated with more "little bits" and added files for the art work and a side view section showing where the "bits" go.

4/9/15 update: I have added the final updates for the Readiboard size (20x30") OSA-rb templates below. The build pictures and descriptions start with post 90.
Last edited by springer; Apr 09, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
Jan 01, 2012, 06:44 PM
treefinder

Build guide pix

the following are pictures with notes on them that show the general build sequence and some details along the way. The foam parts are pretty well explained, but I'll add a cut sheet with labels to the second post. I will draw up the landing gear and the fuse artwork for future reference.

NOTE: if you crease the servo tray at the fwd slot (windshield base) it will be easier to fit it in and align the nose portion.
Last edited by springer; Jan 13, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Jan 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
treefinder
These show how I did the landing gear. Was pondering doing wheel pants, but decided that was a bit much for now!
Jan 01, 2012, 06:59 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
Good job Springer. I had a full scale one of these. Great planes.
Jan 01, 2012, 07:08 PM
treefinder

Maiden

Maiden was yesterday in a lull before the wind came in. It was less than stellar. Plane would fly, barely, until I brought her in and did some trim retuning (was using all of the radio trims up!) Then I could get some feel. She's fly "OK" on power, wanted to go nose up at WOT, which I kinda expected, but power off, she'd immediately go into a straight down dive. Fortunately I did this little maneuver many mistakes high and was able to get her level again. Back inside and really looked her over. I discovered that the motor was set for actuallyl a bit of up thrust (that I thought i'd set at neutral) and the H stab was set at about 3/32" positive to the thrust line from the motor. So.... No wonder she flew funny!

Got out the long bladed xacto and sliced off the H stab, cut the seat flat to the thrust line and reglued her. Added a washer to the top motor mount location which took it to a slight down thrust. Fortunately the wind was still mostly still, so back out for retest. Much better! I still think I could do more fine tuning to motor thrust, but she glides straight, I can actually start with trims at neutral, and she flys nice and slow or fairly fast. she's a bit twitchy in pitch, may be just the short couple or I need to add expo/reduce endpoint to calm her down ( or maybe just learn to fly her!) All flying was without landing gear so no ROG's yet. Hopefully I'll have some vid soon and I'll include that then. I will try lower pitch props as well, as I think I may be over loading the motor. So more to come...
Jan 01, 2012, 07:09 PM
treefinder
DA, I envy you (in a nice way ) I haven't had a full size of any plane yet - maybe never will. Ah, well vicarious and cheap thrills!
Jan 02, 2012, 06:59 PM
AKA Don
Looks nice!

Pitch sensativity is often a sign of CG being a little to far back.
Jan 02, 2012, 08:13 PM
treefinder
Oddly enough, this one balanced about 20-25% aft of wing LE, so it's nose heavy even for me. I'm thinking inexperienced pilot. Haven't been "checked out" on the plane yet! 8^)
Jan 02, 2012, 08:37 PM
Out the Window
My father worked as an engineer for Aeronca back in the late 50s or early 60s. Aeronca was located in Middletown, Ohio at that time. We lived in Indiana, but close enough for him to drive there an back 5 days a week.

Ray
Jan 02, 2012, 08:43 PM
treefinder
Cool memories! I saw in my research that they were in Ohio. That was the same time I was a pre-teen in Ft Wayne, Indiana getting my first taste of comet stick and tissue kits and .049 glow Control line.

Funny how many things are done in small towns around the US (or at least have been done).
Jan 03, 2012, 08:30 AM
old foamie
I think these half sheeters are great ! This should be a boon to indoor flyers also, maybe a few more half sheeters would be cool too. Hint, hint.
Jan 03, 2012, 04:32 PM
treefinder
Had a good session indoors at soccer arena today, and got some vid. I'll edit it down tonight, hopefully get it up. I was able to ROG off the astroturf fairly well with those tiny wheels (surprised myself) and she motors around the pattern pretty well, at about quarter throttle. I swapped on a little 4025 prop and it flew nicely, although takeoffs got tough not enough thrust i'd guess.
Jan 03, 2012, 09:52 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Man Mike, you and Ken both... you guys are not helping those of us that need to keep the build lists short!

SEMFF land is now a top plane producer thanks to you 2!

Very cool man.
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Jan 03, 2012 at 09:59 PM.