Jan 01, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Badly need help w. elevon mixer

I suspect I have a bad Great Planes elevon mixer (Slinger,) but in case I'm just dense, I'm asking for help.

I have tried every permutation of hookup and servo reversing and end up with something like the following:

Stick - Results
full up elevator - full down elevator
full down elevator - slight right aileron
full right aileron - slight down elevator
full left aileron - full down elevator

Other setups result in similar non-sensical results.

Without the elevon mixer, the servos work as expected (with full throws) when operated with an elevon mix on my Tx. I'm using the mixer to allow the use of a buddy box that has no mixes.

Am I overlooking something, or have I received a bad unit?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman
Without the elevon mixer, the servos work as expected (with full throws) when operated with an elevon mix on my Tx. I'm using the mixer to allow the use of a buddy box that has no mixes.
Might be a compatibility problem with the buddy box. Have you tried the mixer with your transmitter without the integrated elevon mix activated?
Jan 01, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56
Might be a compatibility problem with the buddy box. Have you tried the mixer with your transmitter without the integrated elevon mix activated?
I haven't hooked up the buddy box and I have no mixes programmed into the Tx. Since the buddy box I will use has no mixing available, the mixing has to be done on the wing. I'm just trying to get the elevons to work using a plain-jane non-programmable Tx.

The results I detailed in the first post were done using my Tx with no mixing enabled.

The electronic mixer seems like a simple device; there are only so many ways it can be hooked up and I have tried all of them. I'm mystified. Thanks for your reply.

Dave
Jan 02, 2012, 12:43 AM
u can reverse the plugs on the mixer and also reverse the channels in the TX
Jan 02, 2012, 07:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au
u can reverse the plugs on the mixer and also reverse the channels in the TX
Tried it. No joy.
Jan 02, 2012, 02:59 PM
what transmitter are you using as the master? some transmitters have different types of trainer settings.. one is where the slave will always act as the master does.. IE with a JR 6102 you set it to P-Link and all the mixings and trims translate to the buddy box inputs

so you might want to dig around in your radio programmings

Good luck
Tim
Jan 02, 2012, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbored21
what transmitter are you using as the master? some transmitters have different types of trainer settings.. one is where the slave will always act as the master does.. IE with a JR 6102 you set it to P-Link and all the mixings and trims translate to the buddy box inputs

so you might want to dig around in your radio programmings

Good luck
Tim
I have a Futaba 6EX, but the trainer function isn't enabled yet. I'm just trying to get the controls to operate normally before I worry about training by friend.

I'm thinking that the problem is with this particular mixer. I have ordered a different one from HK. I'll see how that works.

Thanks,
Dave
Jan 02, 2012, 07:08 PM
The problem may be with your reciever. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I'm on 72mhz and the new recievers I got from Hobby King wouldn't work with the elevon mixers I bought elswhere. If you have an older reciever try the mixer on that. I'm not near my main computer now. when I am I can give you more info. I found the info here on RC Groups, but it took a lot of searching. I believe the recievers with crystals will work. The ones that bind with a push button will not. Hope that helps. Bob.
Jan 03, 2012, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop that
The problem may be with your reciever. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I'm on 72mhz and the new recievers I got from Hobby King wouldn't work with the elevon mixers I bought elswhere. If you have an older reciever try the mixer on that. I'm not near my main computer now. when I am I can give you more info. I found the info here on RC Groups, but it took a lot of searching. I believe the recievers with crystals will work. The ones that bind with a push button will not. Hope that helps. Bob.
That might be worth trying. I do have my Futaba receivers. It doesn't compute with me, though. The receiver works fine in a normal (no mixing in the Tx) as well as in a mixed mode (elevon mixing in the Tx.) It seems to me that the receiver is putting out the proper signals to the elevator and ailerons, but the mixer is not mixing them properly. I operate out of a great well of ignorance concerning matters electronic, but it seems to me that if the proper signals are being output from the receiver, the mixer couldn't change those signals, just mix them.

Thanks for your input.
Dave
Jan 03, 2012, 12:09 PM
Will work for foam
Have you tried reducing the ATV to 50% or less on both channels in both directions? If they are higher than that, it may be too much % input for the mixer to decipher. its a long shot, but all i can think of at the moment.
Jan 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt
Have you tried reducing the ATV to 50% or less on both channels in both directions? If they are higher than that, it may be too much % input for the mixer to decipher. its a long shot, but all i can think of at the moment.
Yes, I did try that. The really bumfuzzling thing about this is the goofy responses to stick inputs. If you re-read my first post, you'll be reminded that stick movements produce totally non-sensical results.

We'll see what the GWS mixer I ordered from HK does.

Thanks

Dave

Quick Reply