Dec 31, 2011, 11:30 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Idea

Pool Skimmer

Trying out an idea to make my push tug do a little work in the swimming pool, gathering up leaves.

Now that I have tried it with a pool skimmer net, I think I will build a catcher from some PVC pipe and set it up so it runs deeper and can be installed/removed quickly.

Might as well make pool work fun!

(2 min 15 sec)
Latest blog entry: Felony
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2012, 12:54 AM
1/2 a bubble off
Make a platform with a water amplifier on it to suck the leaves up off the bottom and dump them into your screen too. Add the brains from one of those robot vacuum cleaners and you just put it in the pool and go have dinner come back later when it done.
Jan 01, 2012, 01:42 AM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Puppy sure don't like it!
it would take some mods to get that working, don't those have two motors and run one to turn?
airplane autopilot might be easier to modify if you set a gps determined field for it to run around in
Pretty cool though, hook it up to a FE boat and get it done in a few seconds!!
Jan 01, 2012, 02:00 AM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
I don't want it to be automated. I actually enjoyed driving it around and collecting the leaves. Think summer time with a cold #25 in hand.
Jan 01, 2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Think summer time with a cold #25 in hand.
Oh-yeah!
Jan 01, 2012, 02:39 AM
Dragon Slayer
Kmot:

A member of our club worked for the parks department, and he was resposable, YES you gessed it the lakes in his area so he built a boat for the job, flat bottom, flat bow 48" long 16" wide with twin cort nozzles witch he screened to keep things out of his props witch are 4" 4 blade counter rotating, with pittman motors and he pushes a screen that is 48" wide and 10" deep, he had to counter balance the boat for the added weight at the bow, all can be remove so he can play when he is done with the cleanning.
It works fantastic. I didn't think it would push as well as it does, and it can move larger thing like blown down tree branches 3' long. I was imprest.

I'll try to get some pic's if you are interested.
Jan 01, 2012, 03:15 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Oh-yeah!
hey if it works....WHY NOT!!!.....

joe
Jan 01, 2012, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desron48
hey if it works....WHY NOT!!!.....

joe
Exactly! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jan 01, 2012, 09:04 AM
Retired for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy
Puppy sure don't like it!
it would take some mods to get that working, don't those have two motors and run one to turn?
airplane autopilot might be easier to modify if you set a gps determined field for it to run around in
Pretty cool though, hook it up to a FE boat and get it done in a few seconds!!
This is a riot. With post #2 and this one it's starting to remind me of the Big Bang Theory.
It also reminds me of congress making a good thing better. Next thing you know it will take five people to run this boat,the EPA will want you to dispose of the leaves in a proper manner, the boat now will cost about $7,000,000 each, R&D another $7,000,000 for improvements and meantime the leaves will disolve and dissapear on their own so the machine won't be needed afterall. Ha! Pete
Jan 01, 2012, 10:30 AM
KMOT,

Great idea. Have fun and get some work done. Who said old dogs can't learn new tricks.

I have joined the HMEM forum and noticed you are a member also. I plan on building Elmers #29 Mine Engine. If that goes OK I will try building a twin marine engine for a Steam Launch. Have you tried building a small steam engine?

Ed
Jan 01, 2012, 12:36 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Hi Ed,

I have built two steam engines from kits but I have not yet made one from castings or bar stock.
Jan 01, 2012, 12:56 PM
GSMB Member
Sorry Kmot, joking here.... as long as in the end you don't look like this...

Jan 01, 2012, 03:20 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Too late! I already do!

I went out and skimmed the pool this morning with the regular pole and net. Although it is much faster, it is not nearly as fun. And I am in the sun, which is a no-no for me anymore.

I am going to build a catcher for my TPT. It'll be cool, wait and see!
Last edited by Kmot; Jan 01, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Jan 01, 2012, 08:54 PM
Retired for now
HaHa! I look like that cat too. Love it. pete
Jan 01, 2012, 11:19 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Great idea, I think that Freckles likes it.

Quick Reply