OneSheetRacer - One Sheeter#7 is a half sheeter.... - RC Groups
Dec 30, 2011, 09:43 PM
treefinder
Discussion

OneSheetRacer - One Sheeter#7 is a half sheeter....

We found another indoor flying venue, but it's a bit smaller than the Ultimate Soccer Arena in Pontiac, MI, and I found that I didn't have any planes slow enough or small enough to comfortably fly (well, the OSF and OSB flew "ok" but any excuse to build another plane!). So, since I am a huge fan of gpw's ParkflyerPete - the proportions and planform make such sweet flyers - I figured a micro size racer might work in the new place. I'm happy to announce that after a bit of tuning, it does quite nicely.

The bonus here is that the airframe doesn't even cost a buck, as you can fit two of them on a single DS foam sheet (with lots of scraps for those little "extras", like a foam canopy if you like)

Here's the details:

Wingspan: 21.75"
OAL: 18.25"
All up Weight: 3.67oz with 370mah 2s nanotech battery
Motor is an 11 gram ELE CX20-s 2100kv
HobbyKing supersimple 8amp esc
GWS 5043 prop
Pair of 2.5gm servos for RET functionality (might just do another one with AET)
Radio is HobbyKing 2.4ghz 3ch for the Turnigy ER 9X radio

Fuselage is (of course) Dollar Store Foam (3/16" thick), All reinforcements are bbq skewers, except motor mount which is 1/16" ply.

The video was shot this morning via noggincam before the wind and rain came up (It's still processing on vimeo as I type this, but eventually it'll show up)

One Sheet Racer half sheet (2 min 23 sec)
Last edited by springer; Dec 30, 2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added vid
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2011, 09:46 PM
treefinder
Here's the Cut sheets in single and tiled for Letter size paper:

There are a pair for Half sheet (15"x20"), full readiboard sheet (20"x30"), and full MPF sheet (24"x48")

Build pictures for the Readiboard version (OSR-rb) starts on page 7 of the thread.
Last edited by springer; Mar 24, 2016 at 04:01 PM.
Dec 30, 2011, 09:52 PM
treefinder

Build guide pix

Since I had no clear idea that this would work or be durable enough to actually fly, I didn't take many pictures during the build (Dumb, eh?). However, this attached shows the basic arrangement. Fuse sides are matched, the formers at Wing LE and TE, and the doubled formers(doubled on prototype, single on cut sheet) at the nose are gorilla glued to one side of fuse, making sure they are 90 deg to the fuse to insure square build. After they cure, Glue the other fuse side to the asssembly insuring its all square - I use either a drafting triangle or a 2" machinist's square fitted all around to make sure top edges are parallel to bottom ones. Once that is all cured, you can glue the tail tip together, and glue the fuse top pieces in place. I leave the bottom off till last so I can run the control wires.

1/18/12 update: I'm adding a labeled cut sheet, and a centerline section through the fuse to show where pieces go, in response to a couple requests. Note that all the fuse skins fit between the fuse sides, except the "doublers" The nose ones are to reinforce the nose and allow some creative sanding, while the other one can be glued onto top or bottom to add more uniqueness while it reinforces the fuse. I put this one on the top on the prototype, so it could be the forward mount point for the canopy to fit under, If one doesn't do a canopy, but just a slick top, then it can go on top or bottom. Also, with the slick or flat top, you can hinge the forward end and use magnet on aft to make battery hatch.
Last edited by springer; Jan 18, 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added pictures
Dec 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
treefinder
These pictures attempt to recreate the build features, with notes on them. If you are interested and don't see how something was done, feel free to ask!
Dec 31, 2011, 07:21 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Springer, You never cease to amaze me! Love your 1 sheeters, and this 1/2 sheet is killer. Call it "Petey" maybe? To me, you epitomize what scratchbuilding is alll about. Nice job.
Dec 31, 2011, 12:02 PM
AKA Don
Nice fly'n little plane. And I have seen you fly it indoors at the small venue. It's a great little plane. I'm betting folks would like to know where that sexy canopy came from.
Dec 31, 2011, 01:31 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Low wing, RET, you know I'll be watching! Let the good times roll! um er... fly!

Dec 31, 2011, 03:35 PM
Registered Misuser
That's an amazingly beautiful little bird. With such generous folks out here, it'a a great time to be coming back into the hobby.

Thanks for the design Springer.
Dec 31, 2011, 03:36 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
How cute is that? She's a 'lil darlin'.
Is that canopy from a baby Trojan?
I know. You and your FBs ganged up on some poor kid at the new indoor venue and foam-blended his Trojan just so you could get the canopy.
I'm proud of you...
Dec 31, 2011, 03:39 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
Another great One Sheeter Springer! You're the OSK of the scratchbuilders.
Jan 01, 2012, 07:51 PM
treefinder
I was gonna say that Whiskers was right, except he was an old guy who could hardly see the plane, so we blamed him for the crash and just sidled off with the canopy! But in actuality the canopy was a juice bottle in it's former life. I made the wood form for a canopy to fit my BBP51, shrunk several from different bottles, with interesting results. Best is always 2liter pop bottles as they are PETE and are blown an awful lot when made, so they shrink a lot and conform well to the form. The 64 oz juice bottles are almost as good; they're also PETE but they have a lot of wierd shapes in them so sometimes shrink unevenly. This particular one, I aligned the parting line down the middle of the canopy, shrink it and got built in canopy structure lines!
Last edited by springer; Jan 01, 2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added picture
Jan 03, 2012, 08:38 AM
old foamie
This is another great design of yours, it's so nostalgic looking, how do you have time to fly, with all this creativity of yours going on ?
Jan 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
treefinder
It's fairly simple, I let my subconscious do all the design work in that dead time between midnight and 5 am! It helps to be retired, and to be able to fly behind the house. The video was shot (actually in the neighbor's field) about a hundred feet from my back door. My tall grass has piles of dirt over too much of it at the moment.
Jan 04, 2012, 11:43 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Beauty job Springer !!! Looks like a plane , when planes Used to Look like planes ... Very Pretty !!!
Jan 04, 2012, 12:05 PM
treefinder
Thanks, guy! I traced the wings and tail into sketchup right off your original Pete plans!