Jan 19, 2019, 10:20 PM
This is a wing i made from leftover parts. Clocked at 125mph, Wings and landing gear are from a Nitroplanes FLYCAT. Motor is from an EFLITE SIMATAR. 32 SIZE-1000 KV-WITH THRUST VECTORING. Took a weekend to think it up and build it. Wing has no dihedral or washout.Used about 5 degree up on alerions to keep it at leval flight. Flew on first attempt. This thing is insane on flat spins rolls and loops. Thinking of designing more out of foam . i will lose the landing there to save weight. 4 min. flight on 4 cell 3700 40c. Man i still love this hobby even after 50 years of flying. . . Enjoy your life,you only get one shot at it. . . Dan [Mr. Slick]
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2019, 10:40 PM
Old Schooler
Very cool!
Jan 19, 2019, 11:33 PM
Thanks; Dont know much about this type of aircraft butbits fun learnig. IV'eshaved off half pound today .Will see how fast she flys now.
May 21, 2019, 05:53 PM

Where is "willy" ?

May 21, 2019, 07:36 PM
Retired CAD guy
I'm guessing , On his way back to Holland from Africa.
Last edited by birdofplay; May 22, 2019 at 06:42 AM.
May 21, 2019, 10:09 PM
Living the dream
Great pic - hope you were able to maintain orientation

I often fly my gull sloper with the "full size" kritters and have had a few moments when they have crossed over with the model.
May 22, 2019, 09:22 AM
Everything's A Composite
A molded seagul glider with tiny clear wingtip fins...........oh my.

That takes real dedication. I found your video on your blog. It seems quite stable and well behaved. Surprised. Those pointy wing tips look like a tip stall waiting to happen.......but you report otherwise.

Whenever I fly any white rc glider at the coast, sooner or later, a seagul will aparently fall in love with it and start following it around............except for loops. When they see a loop, they leave.
May 22, 2019, 08:19 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Nice!
I bought a seagull from Germany a few years ago. It was expensive, heavy and it's fairly terrifying to fly. One of these days I'll make some new wings for it to see if I can get one to fly decent.
May 23, 2019, 09:21 AM
Everything's A Composite
You'll get a gold star next to your name if you can get the seagul to fly without winglets, clear or otherwise................
May 24, 2019, 03:01 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
All I'd have to do to a Vampir is stick a beak on it, job done. Where's my gold star?
May 24, 2019, 03:09 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade
All I'd have to do to a Vampir is stick a beak on it, job done. Where's my gold star?
Nice!Thats quite a rare bird,did you build it?
May 24, 2019, 09:44 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Yes she's very rare, but alas I didn't build her - won in an ebay auction about 8 years ago. I have re-made the spars / wing joiners and most of the centre fuselage recently though.
May 24, 2019, 06:41 PM
Everything's A Composite
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade
Gold star pending flight video....................we weren't born yesterday.
May 28, 2019, 04:11 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Next time she's up I'll get the video Here's some stills.
May 28, 2019, 08:10 AM
Work out the bell-shaped lift distribution for the gull, and you'd have the Horten solution to finless yaw stability with strongly tapered tips. Might not work without more sweep, though.

More info on the Vampir, PLEASE!

Quick Reply